1. If you are seeing non-stop CMP acceptance notifications, go here and we will help you troubleshoot:
    https://www.toonzone.net/forums/threads/non-stop-cmp-acceptance-notice.5663692/
    If you are seeing non-stop Privacy/ToS acceptance notifications, go here:
    https://www.toonzone.net/forums/threads/non-stop-privacy-terms-acceptance.5663702/
    If you are seeing threads with no posts at all, go here:
    https://www.toonzone.net/forums/threads/threads-with-no-content.5663811/
    Please note that these are separate issues. Posting in the correct thread will help us resolve the issue faster.
    Dismiss Notice

DC Comics Animation - Blu-ray/DVD/Digital News & Discussion Thread, Part 19 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Jul 27, 2014.

1. Otaku-sempai

Otaku-sempai Well-Known Member

Hasn't La La Land dropped the DC animated movies (or lost the license)? I think you might have to hope for a release from Water Tower Music.

2. -batmat-

-batmat- Active Member

That's the one, but still, it's not clear enough. "Letterbox" could mean they just put black bars on top and bottom of the screen to get a widescreen feel on 4:3 TVs, or if it really was a 16:9 picture and we only got a cropped 4:3

3. DJMcNiff

DJMcNiff Member

What La-La Land Records stopped releasing were the soundtracks for the newer DC animated movies (Batman vs. Two-Face for example), due to low sales. Beyond that, I'm pretty sure the only other DC animated titles that LLL have confirmed as having ruled out (at least for now), are further volumes of STAS and JL/JLU (also due to low sales).

4. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Hmm. Well, if the Mask of the Phantasm and Flight of Dragons Blu-rays are any indication, I'm hopeful we'll get widescreen + fullscreen on the same disc. Works well with no quality compromise.

The very first place Phantasm details popped up was on Warner Archive's Facebook page. Worth keeping tabs on if you're anxious to know and use it

5. Dallas Kinard

Dallas Kinard Active Member

I'm actually one of those people who enjoys Subzero more than Phantasm so I'm REALLY pumped for this one!

6. Jon T

Jon T Friendless Spidey

The widescreen version was indeed a crop of the originally-animated 4:3 image, just as Mask of the Phantasm was. There's a video on YouTube with some comparisons, and there's clearly more image to see in the 4:3 version, as with Phantasm and Return of the Joker.

On that basis, it would be good if, like Phantasm, the upcoming Blu-ray of Sub-Zero included both the 4:3 version with the full picture, and the widescreen version as originally formatted by Boyd Kirkland.

7. -batmat-

-batmat- Active Member

Well, that's dissapointing, but expected. 4:3 for SubZero all the way, for me.

ROTJ was the one animated with 16:9 clearly in mind so you don't lose anything important watching it that way.

MOTP is a bit in the middle road... some scenes clearly have empty spaces on top and bottom for 16:9 in mind, but others not. I've always preferred 4:3 for this one.

8. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Not too sure about all that but @John Takis hasn't been here at TZ for almost a year. I recall him saying maybe releases would start up again in 2018 and they next thing they were focused on was The Adventures of Batman and Robin, TNBA, and Sub-Zero. Then Batman Beyond, JLU, and TT. @ShadowStar would probably be the first to know from frequenting the FSM Board.

Based on that alone, they might be releasing Sub-Zero next month.

Dallas Kinard and ShadowStar like this.
  9. DJMcNiff

DJMcNiff Member

Before I start this (lengthy - sorry :eek::oops:) reply:
    To: Yojimbo and the other Mods,
    If my reply is considered off-topic, I apologize.

After re-reading some of La-La Land Records' FSM Board posts from last year (I couldn't find any LLL posts from this year that were relevant to the DC animated titles), I amend my original post (which was off the top of my head, and based on what I remembered from LLL's posts) to include the following projects that LLL listed as having being canceled (JLU is listed on that list as well):

Teen Titans
    The Batman
    League of Superheroes
    Beware the Batman

and include these FSM Board posts (or part of posts) from Michael Gerhard of La-La Land Records (he posts under the username, La-La Land Records and signs his posts, MV)

[This was a reply from LLL to a question that was asked about Batman: Year One, DC Showcase Catwoman, and, All-Star Superman]:
    [LLL posted this in reply to another FSM Board member's post]:
    [Reply to a forum member who asked if there were any plans to do a Lois & Clark release]:

#329 DJMcNiff, Feb 16, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2018
    ShadowStar likes this.
  10. ShadowStar

ShadowStar Member

Time will tell... I'm glad that WaterTower released Batman & Harley Quinn and Batman vs. Two-Face. Too bad that no-one has released Scooby-Doo & Batman: The Brave and the Bold though. One thing's for sure... when the next soundtrack is announced, the music thread will certainly get a lot of attention! :D

Back on topic, I'm delighted that Sub-Zero is being released on blu-ray! That's awesome. I'd love to one day own the entire DCAU on blu-ray.

11. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

I wonder if WaterTower will at least release the soundtracks digitally in the future.

I am very excited about the Sub-Zero news. Is it safe to assume the last Static Shock DVD will be out in a couple months. And then what after that? Maybe The Batman on Blu-ray? I would like to think there is still a chance LOSH could happen.

12. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

That would be better than no release I suppose.

Yeah, probably March or April for Static Shock season 4. I'd guess after all that, Teen Titans Season 2 and the rest of the series and movie then The Batman then LOSH over the next 3 years or so.

13. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

Before pulling the listing from its website, Best Buy listed a March 27, 2018 release date for the upcoming Batman & Mr. Freeze: Sub-Zero Blu-ray from Warner Archive. Stay tuned for the official confirmed details.

Fone Bone and Dallas Kinard like this.
  14. Wonder Woman

This is great news! I'm glad we actually have a date now!

15. James Harvey

Warner Bros. Home Entertainment has provided press details for the upcoming Batman & Mr. Freeze: Sub-Zero Blu-ray release! A new HD transfer and additional bonus content will be included with the release. Click here for all the details!

RoyalRubble and -batmat- like this.
  16. Pfeiffer-Pfan

Pfeiffer-Pfan Well-Known Member

While it's nice to get the original DVD extras (fluffy as they are) and the four Freeze episodes from the DCAU, this just seems like a rushed release:

According to Kirkland (R.I.P):

So are they giving us a widescreen presentation or not?

17. James Harvey

The press release states:

"Batman & Mr. Freeze: Sub-Zero" will be released on Blu-ray in its original 4×3 Fullframe aspect ratio.

It's unlikely unless Warner Archive's press details left out such a significant detail.

18. Pfeiffer-Pfan

Pfeiffer-Pfan Well-Known Member

Well that's just disappointing. WAC are great for the more recent releases, but they can be a real mixed bag when it comes to classic titles.

19. -batmat-

-batmat- Active Member

The widescreen version he was reffering to was letterboxed, just putting black bars on top and bottom of the picture for a more cinematic feel on 4:3 TVs. Im confident 4:3 is the full picture they animated... I hope

Dallas Kinard likes this.
  20. Wonder Woman

I'm disappointed in this too as I believe Kirkland and his son who has been talking on the Blu-ray.com boards about the 5.1/widescreen release. I get they likely have a limited budget and can't do two transfers like Phantasm but it would nice if they would at least acknowledge it. I've already pre-ordered my copy but I am a little let down. With Sub-Zero we do now have all the BTAS animated movies on Blu-ray which is really cool. Next up is BTAS itself and I am already saving up for it! I hope it's as one complete box set.