Daisy Duck pre and post 1999

Discussion in 'Disney/Pixar Forum' started by zoombie, Jul 13, 2018.

1. zoombie

zoombie Well-Known Member

Okay someone was asking me questions about the sensational 6 in the other thread I made recently, on who are the members and what not. I realized, it wasn't a sensational 6 for that long. Just me or Daisy Duck has not been a main member of Mickey and the gang for more than 20 years? It began with Mickey Mouse Works in 1999 which House of Mouse, and than other shows like Mickey Mouse Playhouse, where she part of the gang interacting with Mickey, Minnie, and Goofy, etc.

I realized before than, she was just an extension of Donald and part of the Donald Duck or Duckuniverse and not a main cog of the larger scale Mickey universe for most of the 20th century. In the classic shorts era, she maybe a cameo in a Mickey cartoon and the rest of Mickey gang cameo in a Donald cartoon most notably "Crazy Over Daisy". Daisy being Minnie's best friend that a new modern day thing, that was not the case in the classic days, they never interacted form what I remember.

There was a time, the casual Disney fan weren't that familiar with Daisy, or if you are someone who preferred to watch Mickey or Goofy shorts, you might not know who Daisy is, maybe know of her, maybe remember Donald had girlfriend in some shorts, but that is it. You had to be a hardcore Donald fan to be that familiar with Daisy back in those days.

Daisy is very famous and iconic now, but I remember in 1996 when Quack Pack premiered, there was some kids I kid you not, didn't know who she was. They knew Huey, Dewey, and Louie from Ducktales and of course Donald, but not Daisy. And this was 1996, not that long ago.

I guess the point of this post, is some things seemed like forever, but are not really that long ago. In a short time, Daisy has rising in the ranks among Disney stars. From someone who was almost exclusive just part of Donald's universe to someone is close to equal footing as Minnie.

Funny when you think of it, if Daisy is ever in the Ducktales reboot, the producers are going to have be very careful with how they use her, go to the Disney brass and get permission and approval in storylines, "is it okay if Daisy does this, is it okay if Daisy does that" the same they have to do with Donald. If Daisy was in the original 1987 Ducktales, they could do whatever they want, Disney wouldn't care that much, she just a support in the Donald universe back than.

#1 zoombie, Jul 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  2. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

I think Daisy Duck was used quite a lot in the comics before 1999.

Coincidence or not, in 1999, a magazine called "Katrien" was launched in the Netherlands :D It's a magazine about Daisy Duck, basically the girly version of "Donald Duck", a magazine that launched in 1952.

Both magazines still exist.