"Daffy Duck in Hollywood" discussion

Discussion in 'Back To The Inkwell - Classic Cartoons Discussion' started by rajzfilm, Apr 9, 2014.

1. rajzfilm

rajzfilm Member

I think this is one of Daffy's best shorts ever. It's a shame Tex Avery didn't do anymore shorts with Daffy after this one - he was getting better and better. The gags and their timing here are just as great as in Tex Avery's MGM work. We got all kinds of silly stuff: a camera shooting bullets, lights that spread water, a fat woman winning a beauty contest. The movie director von Hamburger is a memorable one-shot character, Tex Avery was always good at creating characters. His speech problem was amusing (even if that's an offensive joke). Tex Avery and Daffy Duck created the very first Youtube Poop... no, that wouldn't be fair to say. Youtube Poops are loud, unfunny, annoying and irritating. Daffy's film however is fun and entertaining. I really wish we got more "wacky Daffy", too bad the mainstream is the Chuck Jones version.

2. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

"Motion pictures are... your best... entertainment."

"Amazing! Marvelous! Stupendous! Colossal! Tremendous! Gigantic! Astounding! Unbelievable! Spectacular! Phenomenal! And it's good, too."

I agree, this is one of my favorites from Tex. At least at WB. For some reason the running gag of Daffy pinching everybody's nose gets me to laugh. Must be the timing.

3. ToonReel

ToonReel Active Member

"This isn't meant to be a gangstar-r-r-r-r film!!!" - classic line. :D

I'm mixed about Tex Avery's Daffy, he was at it's most simplistic primordial "look how wacky and out there this character is" form, it was usually the reactions of the other characters that made it all funny (ironically quite the opposite of how Daffy affected later Porky cartoons). While I also prefer Screwball Daffy I liked when they at least added shades of Chuck Jones' pathos and ambition into him (Mc Kimson's version was arguably the best compromise). Maybe Avery would have tried more of this had he done more Daffy shorts. Seemed odd he only did three, must have got fixated with his new 'baby' Bugs afterwards.

4. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I like this cartoon as well. Other than the amazing editing job Daffy did in the end, my favorite scenes are probably how Daffy interrupts the love scene in the movie Von Hamburger is filming, or how the people working on the set try to light Von Hamburger's cigarette.

5. Steve Carras

Steve Carras SUGAR RUSH!!!!

I enjoy it too, one of the early affy shorts..Von hamburger is played by character player Rolfe Sedan, who laste through 1960s TV sitcoms!!

6. Steve Burstein

It would be fun to try to identify the clips used in Daffy's film.

7. speedy fast

speedy fast Active Member

It had been many years since I had really enjoyed this film, but then in the last few months I've been watching it again and again on the third Golden Collection, and it really is enjoyable. Don't know what made me enjoy it less for a period (overexposure? so many cartoons on the DVDs that I liked to watch more?).