Could IDW lose the rights to Hasbro properties for its comic books at the end of 2018?

Discussion in 'Comic Book Culture' started by dth1971, Mar 29, 2018.

1. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

Is there a rumor recently that IDW Publishing may lose the rights to publish comic books of the Hasbro owned properties - Transformers, G.I. Joe, Jem, and even My Little Pony - at the end of 2018? If this happens. What are the chances these other comic companies - Boom Studios, Dynamite Comics, Valiant Comics, Image Comics, and/or Dark Horse Comics (Sorry, the troubled Archie Comics is not on the list) - may pick up the comic book rights to the Hasbro properties?

Meantime, IDW's Sega licenced Sonic the Hedgehog comic book incarnation begins April 4, 2018 with 4 weekly issues in April then monthly issues thereafter,

2. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Mad Scientist

The credible part of the rumor is driven by two things:
    1. An across the board slump that hit all the Hasbro books in 2016, Larry Hama’s G.I. Joe being the notable exception.
    2. The upcoming Unicron event that will end the Transformers IDW line, the longest ongoing continuity in the franchise’s history as well as Hasbro’s oldest partnership with the imprint.
    I’m not convinced. If Hasbro were to leave, where would they go? Of the indies, Image is the only company bigger than IDW and they’re focused on creator-owned titles. The only other option, besides staying with IDW, is to start their own imprint. Bring over some IDW people (Larry Hama, Andy Price, Alex Milne, etc.) and produce some tie-in books. Maybe even set up an exclusive deal with ComiXology. But I don’t think the company is positioned to do that right now. Maybe a few years from now, but not this year.

...Why is this here?

3. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

I don't mind Hasbro starting a comic book line self-published by the toy company, remember Topps - famous for Bazooka Bubble Gum, Push Pops, and many trading card lines (baseball, Wacky Packages, Garbage Pail Kids, etc.) one did its own comic book publishing company itself?

Too bad Mattel never had a comic book division (Mattel once owned Western Publishing, which owned the old Gold Key and Whitman comic book lines).

4. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

I'd say Dynamite or Dark Horse, except those two also trade mostly in licensed titles, some in the short term, others in the long term.

As for Mattel/Western Publishing, I don't know when the two came together, but Western was actually linked with Whitman. I used to have a few Big Little Books back in the day.

5. Zeether

Zeether HASSHA!!

The Transformers comics are just starting a new continuity under IDW, not ending entirely. James Roberts confirmed it along with the news of Unicron being the end.