"Constantine" Animated Series News & Discussion Thread, Part 1 (Spoilers)

• We have upgraded to Xenforo 2. We've decided to open the forums back up while we configure the theme and plugins. Thanks for your patience.

Latest News

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Ratings
10,910 45
Sherman Oaks CA
It's not much, but I found this article on Broadway World that mentions the animated series will be a "reboot".
Yeah, I was also expecting this to just continue off from where the live-action show left off, but maybe by "reboot" they mean that it will seem more closely tied to the Arrowverse compared to the original show o_O?

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Mar 8, 2009
Ratings
7,187 6
A Valid Location
Collider has some more details:
http://collider.com/constantine-animated-series-poster-cw-seed/
You can check out a special 3-min. sneak peek of Constantine on Sun., 10/8, at the beginning of Warner Bros. Television’s programming block in the Hammerstein Ballroom at 2:00pm EST.
This all-new animated series from Warner Bros. Animation and Blue Ribbon Content follows DC’s popular comic book character John Constantine (voiced by the live action series star Matt Ryan), a seasoned demon hunter and master of the occult. Armed with an arcane knowledge of the dark arts and a wicked wit, he fights the good fight. With his soul already damned to hell, he’ll do whatever it takes to protect the innocent. With the balance of good and evil on the line‎, Constantine uses his skills to face the supernatural terrors that threaten our world and send them back where they belong. After that, who knows… maybe there’s hope for him and his soul after all.
Executive produced by David S. Goyer (The Dark Knight trilogy, Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice, Constantine [live action series]. upcoming Krypton), Greg Berlanti (The Flash, Arrow, Supergirl), and Sarah Schechter (Blindspot, Riverdale, DC’s Legends of Tomorrow), the series, which will premiere on CW Seed in early 2018, is produced by Butch Lukic (Justice League Action, Batman Unlimited), written by J.M. DeMatteis (Justice League Dark, Batman vs. Robin) and directed by Doug Murphy (Justice League Action, Young Justice).

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Reporter
Jul 13, 2003
Ratings
10,998 21
Shahdaroba
www.dcauresource.com
Lukic, DeMatteis, and Murphy -- I've become way more interested. A few demon designs from JLD -- a nice coincidence since DeMatteis was originally writing that movie then had another project(s) then Altbacker took over I think.

I kept remembering The Ray and forgot this was happening as well. A release timed for Halloween would have been awesome.
True, but a world where the Nazis won is a close second.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Reporter
Jul 13, 2003
Ratings
10,998 21
Shahdaroba
www.dcauresource.com
According to DeMatteis, the animated series is stand-alone and not a continuation of the live-action show.
That is a confusing response. That is clearly a Bruja that massacred the demons. As in a member of the La Brujeria the behind-the-scenes Palpatine Big Bads of the live action series who turned out to be working for the angel helping John all along.

On second thought, I think DeMatteis is saying it's not directly continuation of the live action series that will wrap the series arc up so don't think of this webiseries as Season 2. It'll just be a story that takes place after Season 1. I hope.

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Ratings
10,910 45
Sherman Oaks CA
At the end of the interview, DeMatteis confirms he wrote every episode and it will eventually be released as a movie on DVD and streaming.
Sounds like the go-to plan with the CWSeed series is releasing them on the site and then re-packaging them in movie form for the DVD :cool:.

Also fitting to have DeMatteis once again working in the DCU "Dark" world, more or less ;).

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Reporter
Jul 13, 2003
Ratings
10,998 21
Shahdaroba
www.dcauresource.com
Stray thought but I'm wondering if the plan is to alternate between The Ray and Constantine such as air first 6 of The Ray in December, first 6 of Constantine in January, last 6 of The Ray in February and last 6 of Constantine in March (or spread it out even more like every two months granted production is running smoothly).

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Ratings
10,910 45
Sherman Oaks CA
Stray thought but I'm wondering if the plan is to alternate between The Ray and Constantine such as air first 6 of The Ray in December, first 6 of Constantine in January, last 6 of The Ray in February and last 6 of Constantine in March (or spread it out even more like every two months granted production is running smoothly).
Certainly give us a nice variety ;).