Conan the Barbarian returning to Marvel Comics!

Discussion in 'Marvel Comics and Collectibles' started by wonderfly, Feb 8, 2018.

1. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

Wow. Apparently Marvel is getting the rights back to publish Conan the Barbarian comics again:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/conan-barbarian-comics-moving-back-marvel-1074351

"After 15 years with Dark Horse Comics, the comic book adventures of Robert E. Howard’s famous Cimmerian hero will return to Marvel Entertainment, with the company announcing that it has regained the comic license to Conan the Barbarian.

In a brief release, Marvel announced that it would publish Conan “comic book titles, collections [and] reprints” beginning January 2019, with artwork that featured the character alongside Thor and Wolverine. “We’re thrilled to be working with Marvel and look forward to the new adventures in store for Conan,” president of Conan Properties International Fredrik Malmberg said in a statement accompanying the news. “As the most well-known and creative publisher in the industry, we think Marvel is a great fit for our stories.”

Dark Horse did such a great job, I'm not sure where Marvel can go with this, either in reprinting the classics or in publishing new material...but then again, Marvel's done an excellent job since getting the rights back to Star Wars.

But poor Dark Horse...rumor has it with Disney buying all FOX properties, Dark Horse is going to eventually lose the rights to "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" and "Aliens/Predator" eventually as well.

2. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

You know, upon further review...I'm not sure there was much more Dark Horse could do with the Conan license anyway.

I checked, and Dark Horse has collections republishing almost all of Marvel's material from the 70's to the 00's. The entire "Conan the Barbarian", "Savage Sword of Conan" and "King Conan" comics have all been collected (man, I haven't paid attention to Dark Horse comics since 2010, I'm amazed they published all these TPB collections)! That leaves only a few of the material from the mid to late 90's (like "Conan the Adventurer" and "Conan the Savage", and a handful of mini-series) as the only Marvel "Conan" stuff that Dark Horse has failed to reprint in TPB format.

As far as new material, Dark Horse had stopped producing a monthly Conan comic book just a few months ago. "Conan the Slayer" Issue #12 appears to be the last, unless they've got more "new adventures" material coming up. But all signs point to Dark Horse was winding down with the Conan license.

But I'm curious to see what Marvel's going to do with the license...will they continue with where their stories left off back in the 90's? It'd be cool if they restart with "Conan the Barbarian Issue #276" (the last issue back in the early 90's was Issue #275). Or will they continue Dark Horse's "new" continuity, picking up where Dark Horse's "Conan the Slayer" left off? Or will they restart the continuity yet again? (I'm cringing in fear of that last scenario).

#2 wonderfly, Feb 8, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2018