Cartoons that somehow manage to sneak a swear word in

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by GrantM, Apr 21, 2006.

1. GrantM

GrantM Active Member

I'm not talking about shows like The Simpsons and South Park, I'm talking about other cartoons, i.e Saturday morning ones, etc. The only example I can think of was Robotech which had "hell" mentioned in one episode (although not as a swear word).

Any other cartoons that manged to do this sort of thing?

2. Scirel

Scirel WHY SO FRIENDSHIP?

There was an episode of MLAATR in which Jenny could speak only japanese, she said "Shimatta!", as a swear when frustrated, and it is the japanese equivalent of "$h!t".

Also one of the season 2-3 rugrats had Phil and Lil say Hell-o-phone repeatedly. Not Hello-phone, Hell-o-phone.

3. veemonjosh

veemonjosh Get back, Jojo

All the A** and F***s that were in the background of Whatever Happened to Robot Jones. Scarred me for life.

4. mojokingbee1

mojokingbee1 Active Member

Nah, I think it was "Hello-phone"

5. CartoonOverlord

CartoonOverlord Head of HATE

In the Dodgeball episode of Dexter's Lab the gym sub says to Dexter when Dexter gives him an excuse from gym is, "What is this crap?" To my knowledge Cartoon Network never edited that episode because of it.

6. Neo Yi

Neo Yi Run Wild to Your Heart's Content!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

I know this is a movie, but considering it's still a cartoon; that one scene in the Goofy Movie when Max lamented his response to the Possom Park his father dragged him to:

Max: This is a living hel-
    Guy in Possom costume: HELLO there, little partner!

Man, I still chuckle everytime I hear that scene.

7. Gatomon41

Gatomon41 Digital Monster

Digimon Tamers: Not a swear word per say, but it's something you don't really expect to her on Saturday Morning Tv. Bellzemon actually said "freaking" during the US premerie of one epidsode. I've seen the episode latter on Toon Disney, and the word was actually edited out.

Bobby's World: One episode Uncle Ted asked Booby about a bully that was "making his life a living h***", with Bobby's mom saying "watch your language."

8. tb4000

tb4000 Active Member

Most cartoons usually do that cliche thing where the character is about to swear, but someone cuts them off or a sight gag pertaining to it takes its place. But we all know what they were getting at.

Like the Employee of the Month ep. of Spongebob where Squidward tells him that the award is "a bunch of...", and a mass of crabby patty meat which looks obviously like poop flies into a nearby fan, hitting him in the face. The added joke of "hitting the fan" made it all the more obvious.

9. straw_hat

straw_hat Active Member

Hell, along with ass, seem to be the most harsh swear words writers are willing to prance around but since they just seem so mild I don't even see them as one. Same goes for the word crap but even more so.

Rocko's Modern Life used the word Hell as a gag several times and actually showed the entire word in one of the early episodes about a carnival ride called "Elevator to Hell" with Satan himself, although his name isn't said, appearing briefly. Sexual Innuendo on the other hand was used a lot with one in particular that I doubt I could ever explain on this forum.

10. weirdojace

weirdojace Member

I remember once Billy and Mandy had a clever way of inserting the word "ass" into an episode but I don't quite remember the quote... anyone else remember?

Not to mention that same show had an episode titled "A Kick in the Asgard."

11. judyindisguise

judyindisguise Active Member

I distinctly remember Helga from "Hey Arnold" using the word "crap", which is still considered a bad word in some quarters.

12. NewGenious

NewGenious Likes to daydream...

to this day I still wonder how they got "Chokey Chicken" restaurants under the censor radar.

13. Rolling Cloud

Rolling Cloud ...too early....

I think you're talking about the curse of the black knight episode.

Grim: "Don't make me go medieval on your --

Irwin: "As I was saying!"
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TMNT (2003) used the word "freakin" a LOT!

14. Tobias

Tobias Who you gonna call?

Mighty Max - Max referred to a school project as 'Hell on Wheels'.'

Animaniacs - During a MacBeth(?) enactment, Dot said the word 'hell'.

Gargoyles - "Pay a man enough, and he'll walk barefoot into hell." - Xanatos

Powerpuff Girls, during an argument over wether a squirrel is male or female - "Squirrels EAT nuts, stupid!" - Bubbles

15. Anthonynotes

Anthonynotes Active Member

The late 90's E/I series "Histeria!" used the word "hell" and "damn" in a few episodes (One about the expression "War is hell", and another with the expression "damn the torpedos" and "out out damn spot" [from "MacBeth"]).

The "Buzz Lightyear" cartoon had Buzz say "let's go kick some asteroid"; Animaniacs also once had Yakko (in the song about earthquakes) talk about quakes "kicking our asphalt."

-B.

16. SpaceCowboy

SpaceCowboy Active Member

In one of the Looney Tunes compilation movies, when Yosemite Sam is summoned by Satan, he says "I'll send that rabbit to Hell. Oh, excuse me, pardon my language."

In the non-Miramax release of "The Thief and the Cobbler" (Richard Williams' animated film that took over 30 years to make and had a sad production history) has the villian, ZigZag saying something like "There are some balls you ought to be breaking." to the palace guards when the 3 golden spheres are stolen by the bumbling thief.

17. NewGenious

NewGenious Likes to daydream...

I just remembered in an episode of "The Real Advetures of Johnny Quest" I forget the name of the episode but I believe its the one where they find out that the president is an alien. When Johnny and Hadji find out Race comes into their room and says "You two look like a couple of carosine cats in hell."

18. Wade Kruse

Wade Kruse Member

In the JLU episode "The Balance", Zatanna, while speaking backwards like usual, says "hell" backwards.

19. Dantheman

Dantheman Active Member

I remember Dave Coulier had as part of his stand-up comedy act a bit about how you'd think characters in old cartoons would say swear words,like you'd be watching an old Popeye cartoon and when hearing Bluto talk,you'd think "Did he say what I think he said?". I know it might not be on topic,but it relates.

20. DarthGonzo

DarthGonzo Fourteen Years!

In an episode in Dexter Lab where Dexter and Deedee get decoder rings, Deedee tells Dexter his club is for big I-D-S-K-C's (or something very similar). Dexter decodes the word and then shouts, "HEY!"