Cartoon Network UK Draws Fire for Removing Same-Sex Embrace in "Steven Universe"

Discussion in 'Toonzone News Comments' started by Ed Liu, Jan 7, 2016.

1. Ed Liu

Ed Liu Frog of Thunder
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

2. RegularCapital

RegularCapital The Third Dimension

Sigh, why has ToonZone jumped on the bandwagon, for the record Cartoon Network UK isn't homophobic, they've appointed an openly gay Olympic Diver (Tom Daley) as one of their anti-bullying ambassadors for their CN Buddy Network campaign.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ed Liu

Ed Liu Frog of Thunder
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

If you can point to anything specific in the article where I accuse CN UK of being homophobic, I will happily modify the article. I state, specifically, that there were edits, that a petition was made protesting them, and that CN UK issued a statement to address it which did not have the effect that they intended. Where is the implied accusation of homophobia in there?

4. szjdfgs

szjdfgs Well-Known Member

It's a shame that people are giving so much attention to these censorship practices when it's the marginalized groups that get affected by these.
    UK censors a lot more shows on CN, specially Regular Show which not only has a YouTube channel, but a webpage (now inactive) dedicated to listing the edits they have been doing to accomodate their children.

But no, Steven Universe gets special attention because UK's practices affect the LGBT group. They could have used their powers to fight against the censorship practices on CN UK, to request a demand for uncut content, but I don't see that being applied here. So the fact that this is blowing out of hand really goes to show their hypocrisy.

"If this show is censored, but does not promote equality, why do we have to demand the higher ups to not censor it?"

5. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

I think most of those fans don't even know Regular Show is censored too.

6. Riley

Riley Everything's the fault of a Yo-kæi™

Steven Universe fandom =/= Regular Show fandom. The people in the Regular Show fandom probably don't care much about their edits, but the Steven Universe fandom is -- dare I say it -- insane. Wild and insane.

Not my personal opinion, but I think the reasoning between why this is so much more major is that the Regular Show edits seem more justified to people (as some of the stuff on the show does cross the line a bit) whereas the Steven Universe edit being highlighted, of course, affects the LGBT group.

7. ILuvToons

ILuvToons Yellow Pearl got sass!

Ok, second time I'm commenting about this online, but I can understand why CN UK would do this. Whether it was really a romantic relationship or not (I lean on the latter) is out of the question. They just want to localize the content so they can gain ratings, because at the end of the day that's what they're after.