1. Enter for a chance to win the Captain America Blaster Shield and two POP Vinyl figures from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Cartoon Network This Week

Discussion in 'The Cartoon Network/Boomerang Cartoon Forum' started by PinkiePie97, Feb 10, 2018.

1. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Cartoon Network has launched a YouTube show called Cartoon Network This Week. It's hosted by a guy named Sam, who was previously one of the kids on Fridays and also appeared on something CN did called Zombie Day. There's also a seal named Rupert, who was the seal Ice Bear was going to eat but didn't in Bear Cleanse.

The first episode has a clip from Apple & Onion, some commentary from Rupert, and what some kids are saying about the recent Steven Universe episodes.

• Creative Creative x 1
  2. Toon4Thought

Toon4Thought Giving a slightly closer look.

Interesting idea for sure. Only time will tell where this goes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Rad's Kittens

Rad's Kittens Well-Known Member

The first installment felt kinda awkward, but an interesting idea nonetheless.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Spirit49

Spirit49 Member

This is a cool idea, I hope these continue and get better.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

I love this idea.

6. Commander Beeper

Commander Beeper Watchdog

I dig it so far. Can't wait to see how it pans out.

Also, I think they showed that particular clip from Apple & Onion because of the NBA Playoffs coming up.

7. Checkerboard

Checkerboard THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS

This is an interesting concept that could work. Or not. We'll see. For some reason it's making me nostalgic a bit and reminds me of something that would air on CN proper during the CN Real era.

8. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It won’t last a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. RandomMe

RandomMe Bloo

At first I thought that it was an adaptation of Another Week in Cartoon. Turns out I was wrong.

10. DeanBurrito25

DeanBurrito25 Well-Known Member

This was so obviously intended for CN's actual demographic, so for that I'm sure they will like it. Or not? I don't know. It's a neat idea in theory, anyways.

Pretty cool how the host was actually an audience kid on Fridays way back when and that he now is employed for the network. Talk about coming full circle. (Side note, I really want that grey Cartoon Network shirt he's wearing.)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. RegularCapital

RegularCapital Well-Known Member

Not a direct adaptation, but it's likely that it draws (pun unintended) some inspiration from it, especially the part with Rupert the Seal.

12. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

Well, I finally got around to watching it.

My initial first impressions were, "Okay, we have someone on the inside providing periodic updates. This might be interesting." However, the more I watched it, the more irritating it got. It became less about Sam and more about CN's marketing and attempts at being memetic. We're already off to a bad start.

I'll tune in for another episode, and if it doesn't improve, I'll drop it immediately.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. RandomMe

RandomMe Bloo

It's like CN Real all over again, except that adapted to the current Internet age.

14. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

I don't think I'd take it that far. There was animation in this video. Poorly implemented animation, mind you, but it was still there.

15. Mr HooPoe

Mr HooPoe Member

Speaking of which, what was that technology that CN used for Cartoon Cartoon Fridays to control the lip synchs of the hosts? They should consider using something like that for the seal instead of...whatever they did.

This is indeed different from Another Week on Cartoon. That was a mock news broadcast, while this is more...I might as well say "abstract" since I have no idea what to call it.

Also, this does remind me of CN Real but more in the sense that they are going beyond their intentions. However, that was dropping the "Cartoon" in Cartoon Network. While this is far from the first time, this is just proof that they are dropping the "Network" in Cartoon Network (though I do not really blame them since digital platforms are becoming a big deal with everyone now).

16. RandomMe

RandomMe Bloo

A vlog?

17. Captain B. Zarre

Captain B. Zarre New Member

Eh, this was alright. I loved that CN acknowledged that Cartoon Network's Fridays existed and I liked the montage of kids' reactions to the new Steven Universe episodes from December but I was mixed on everything else. Then again, this is the first week they're doing it and there's always room for improvement.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Ya know, this would be tolerated a little more if host of this video was a cartoon character.
    Now I know that would’ve been hard to pull off, and probably expensive, but mo-cap it could’ve been possible. Or really simple Flash animation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. NeoplanDan

NeoplanDan Wiki Mod Editor

TBH, this is just like Another Week on Cartoon (the ones from the UK variant of CN).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

20. RandomMe

RandomMe Bloo

Another Week in Cartoon came from Latin America, to be more accurate. It's just edited to remove footage of shows only CN LA airs.