Cartoon Network Branding Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Cartoon Network/Boomerang Cartoon Forum' started by SpongeFreak52, Dec 7, 2015.

?

What was the best logo

1. 1992-2004

39 vote(s)
    50.6%
  2. 2004-2010

16 vote(s)
    20.8%
  3. 2010-present day

22 vote(s)
    28.6%
  1. SpongeFreak52

SpongeFreak52 Active Member

Seeing as though there doesn't appear to be a thread dedicated to CN's branding (which includes CN US), I figure it could be useful to create one. Discuss everything from idents and promos to music and web content! What do you like or dislike about certain branding choices? What would you like to see?

To clarify, this could cover any of the branding eras of any CN station (Powerhouse, City, CHECK it 1.0 - 4.0, etc.), and will also be useful to keep track of any changes made. Since the branding seems to vary so much between countries, this could also serve as a nice resource of information for those looking to keep track of who is using what.

Anyone interested in this type of discussion?

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Riley

Riley Everything's the fault of a Yo-kæi™

I'm kinda wondering what CN is making an emoji for and what they aren't. Back in 3.0, they would make animations for almost every show - US and international - some shows, at the least, getting a still image 3.0-ified.

I was thinking the emoji thing was just original shows, but considering both Teen Titans Go! and the Scooby-Doo! franchise got one, and Mixels didn't (but that's not a surprise at this point), it seems to just be...their "top shows", the more popular and well-known ones.

Which STILL makes me wonder why Scooby-Doo got one since its stuff is mostly moving to Boomerang...

It's confusing, they should really work things out on that.

EDIT: 6:03 P.M. ET - there was a banner for LEGO Day.

3. mariosjaque

mariosjaque Sólo un usuario más.

And original miniseries are emoji-free too... (Excepting Stakes)
    OTGW was not a surprise because it was a year old.
    And Long Live the Royals had no emoji too.... And that is a new miniseries...
    CN has to release guidelines in a presskit, like it did with the Check It 1.0 brand guidelines (i can upload them later if anyone wants them)

4. SpongeFreak52

Oh my, yes please. I've been dying to find as much official 1.0 content as possible.

4.0 has been a disaster in terms of consistency, at least up until this point. I'm going to have to put together an image with all of the issues in their NEXT/LATER menus, that's where most of the problems have lied.

The Scooby emote can at least apply to other SD specials (which it has, like the Lego special), so that'll get some use regardless of whether or not BCSD sticks around.

On another note, they've started using a sped-up version of the CN jingle on one or two promos as of yesterday, I know it's at least on the updated Supernoobs one. Wonder if that's just for time restrictions (it's on a 30s promo so it shouldn't be) or something they're just trying out.

5. Riley

Cartoon Network US uploads a promo (besides apps) to their YouTube channel for the first time in a very, very, very long time.

well, it's in horrible quality, but it's surely a step forward. hopefully they begin doing this all the time again!

6. mariosjaque

7. Riley

8. mariosjaque

Ah. I'll hope to upload it tomorrow.
    I'm not gonna share my account details.

9. Yippee Coyote

Yippee Coyote Graphic Novelist

Actually, there was already a thread for the subject. An admin should merge this thread with that one or vice versa considering it has still been active within a month's radius.

Anyways, here's a new image poster from Time Warner Cable's listings page for the new show Supernoobs with some of the 4.0 art-deco thumbnails. I believe the one shown with We Bare Bears characters has not been seen up until this point; it's also stretched to two squares instead of one.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    #9 Yippee Coyote, Dec 9, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
  10. SpongeFreak52

Ah, thanks Yippee. I figured that was focused moreso on 4.0 alone rather than everything in general, my bad.

Hmm, I recall seeing a similar version on the 4.0 lanyard I picked up over the summer, lemme get a pic:

[​IMG]

The background is different, and the bears don't have those...things on their chins. I can't tell if they're tiny hands, chin hairs, or party hat strings. Neat to see an updated version!

11. kianworld

kianworld CN Schedule Archiver

Weird.. CN aired the intro to WBB again immediately after the 7:00pm episode, went to commercial, and then aired the credits completely uncut, unshrunk, unmuted right after the 7:15pm episode. And before RS they aired the credits again, but shrunk and shut up like normal.

Why cant they just air the credits uncut? They aren't even longish, like some of the shows on Adult Swim. If anything, while the credits are airing they could just have an "Up Next" or "Something Tonight at Sometime" graphic on the bottom corner while the credits play.

12. Riley

I made this a while ago as an improvisation of what they could do. They wouldn't have the CN logo over the credits, though, so, perhaps, (a slightly smaller version of) the NEXT/LATER template could play without audio over the credits where it normally is?

Also, the template would fade out once it's done, rather than just cutting abruptly like the video. That's how it was used in a couple of European WBB promos.

• Like Like x 1
  13. SpongeFreak52

An actual Christmas frame was put to use today for the CN Sayin videos. Still would be nice to see proper idents instead of this cheap filler.

[​IMG]

14. kianworld

kianworld CN Schedule Archiver

oh god I just saw a 4.0 bump for TTG up next and it used a Gumball emoji

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. SpongeFreak52

I don't know why they're so against fixing existing menu bumpers. The New TTG one has been screwed up for a while now.

The special that followed is also marked as a "new episode" which it's not. I guess there's a flag they can set for individual timeslots and the system takes care of it from there? Don't really see how else they could have screwed that up.

16. SpongeFreak52

I think it's safe to say that all traces of 1.0 have been removed from CN USA's rotation. The last few things they were using were the movie warning (which was replaced with a 4.0 version a few weeks ago) and the character morphing idents (technically 2.0 I suppose). This week I noticed that they began airing 10 second CN Sayin' bumpers in place of where they would normally air.

17. Riley

I do hope CN Sayin' discontinues once that day in the future comes when CHECK it is over...if they had to keep the app it could just be like, perhaps, the kids' videos being highlighted on the website.

Okay, so there's three "next" bumpers to come tomorrow. Maybe four, if there's anything up with Nexo Knights being split into two parts, or if NinjaGo gets anything different. Actually, for all I know, LEGO Day could have its own special treatment bumpers, considering how much they're trying to hype it up.

(I'm going for an all-nighter since I'd never wake up in time to watch CN at 6am. Not just for Mixels, which I bet peeps who know me would think that means, but because I'm invested in LEGO Day xD)

18. SpongeFreak52

I'll be on the lookout :)

The backdoor [as] schedule is really screwed up at the moment, there's multiple shows on some of the timeslots, but apart from that it seems to be showing it's going to be TTG at 6am, then only Ninjago from 6:30am-3pm, Mixels is completely absent. Guess we'll find out for sure in a few hours.

19. Riley

It's definitely not TTG, as they seem to be hyping up for a completely-full day of LEGO-based programs. So...don't trust that schedule. TTG was originally listed in Mixels' place, and it's trying to show both blips of the previous AND current schedules at the same time, which is why you are seeing multiple programs with the same timeslots.

And to think, the backdoor schedule was once our only hope after the removal of the website schedule...

EDIT: Okay, well, considering that's literally TODAY, the schedule's finally fixed up, but yeah, Mixels is absent with TTG...yeah, but I still don't trust that schedule anymore. It's either Mixels or Ninjago, since it starts Ninjago from episode 2 of the Tournament of Elements instead of episode 1. it better be mixels though or i'll personally go up to cartoon network studios and slap the executives of this crazy channel

#19 Riley, Dec 13, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2015
  20. Riley

Okay, yes, Mixels is airing, and there's a special "LEGO DAY" text upon the screen bug! (regular yellow-and-black color scheme though)