Caption This! 7

Discussion in 'Fun & Games' started by Brandon Pierce, Jul 20, 2001.

1. Nftnat

Nftnat professor/historian/chronicler

I can see your point there; scripture says the devil can appear as an angel of light, & when the Antichrist comes people will think he's the Christ (hence the name). Fortunately, while I don't believe in coincidence, I do believe in happenstance, & a number is just that. As we can see, the doctor's total has moved on as it will. If we continue posting enough, we will all achieve that number; I can see that Dick Grayson did a while ago. No offense intended Belchie, 'kay?

2. happyheathen

happyheathen Guest

Let's see...

Here we have religion, poliltics, AND the great chance/pre-determination debate
    ALL IN ONE!!! - WAY TO GO!!!

Where to start:

Religion - it wasn't so long ago that Zeus, Athena, Thor, Ra, et al ruled - where do old gods go when people stop worshipping them?

Politics - there hasn't been a decent political fight in the US since the civil war.

If you believe in free will: you were born to think that way.

If you believe in pre-determination: that's your choice.

*and, if you believe in pre-destination - why are you alive?*

- dave
    another happy heathen on the handbasket express...

3. Jack

Jack Rabbit of Tomorrow!

The Old God Nursing Home, where else? I though some people still believed in those gods, though.

Here's my caption: Solar Popwer, yeah, ground squirrels love it.

Just so you know, the picture doesn't show up for me, not even an X, so I wrote that caption based on other captions. Just in case you want to know why it's really bad...

Jack:D

4. happyheathen

happyheathen Guest

a bit of european history -

some did choose to continue practicing the old religions after christianity arrived.

Christians called them 'witches' - you know the rest...

5. Danielle

Danielle Active Member

Actually, I *don't* know the rest...

6. Nftnat

Just ask yourself what usually happens to "witches".

As to what else has been said, no comment. I can wait to find out who's right or wrong. And that's all I've got to say about that.

7. The Mad Hatter

The Mad Hatter Whyyyyy'sis heead so biiiiiig?

Actually, a recent book covers just that. Neil Gaiman's "American Gods" shows all these deities of yore broken, destitute and wandering the earth, displaced by new gods of the 20th-21st century, like the god of media. It's an interesting read.

8. Nftnat

Displaced by new gods? Like Darkseid & Orion & all of them? Personally, I preferred the explanation in the Star Trek ep "Who Mourns For Adonais?" Alternately, such people were spoken of as offspring of the sons of God & the daughters of men, giants, mighty men, men of renown. I had the idea some years ago of gathering the mythologies of the different cultures of the world & trying to synthesize a common origin theory; maybe someday.

9. DR. BELCH

DR. BELCH Member

Gods and witches

None taken. I suppose when I tell people that I consider The Exorcist a great date movie, most people want to check my scalp for little horns. :p

They committ career suicide repeatedly and never learn their lesson. Just look at Shannon Doherty.
    The whole Salem witch-burning thing? Some attribute that to poisoning caused by a mold called ergot, which apparantly induces hallucinations. One of New England's darkest periods can be blamed on rye bread gone punky in the heat. I find that funny (strange, not ha-ha).

On heathens: just saw The Road to El Dorado last night. Cortez (voice of Jim Cummings) was portrayed as very chilling and ruthless in his quest for God, gold, and glory. Now if Atlantis is as well done as RtElD, it's well worth my viewing....

10. Nftnat

Re: Gods and witches

Hey, the demon ultimately lost that round, didn't it? I don't see a problem; have limited taste for blood & guts, but if the good guys win...

11. happyheathen

happyheathen Guest

From where I sit...

The good guys lost in the 'Exorcist'

but then. the game isn't over, is it...

12. DR. BELCH

DR. BELCH Member

If you want--

--to get technical about it, it was a Pyrric victory on both sides. Father Damien killed the demon and himself simultaneously. Very noble. Of course there was the lackluster sequel to The Exorcist and the abominable third movie, which had no Linda Blair and Damien inexplicably back from the dead, still harboring the demon, locked in the booby hatch. :confused:
    I actually laughed during the scene where demon talks to Damian as his mother and he gets all upset about it. Ooh boy did my date get mad at me... :mad: :D ...but I'd seen it three times and knew how everything came out...the poor girl had no idea what she was getting into when she rented that movie.... :eek: :eek: :eek: