Can There Be An Adult Looney Tunes Cartoon? Could It Work?

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by SweetShop209, May 14, 2018.

1. SweetShop209

SweetShop209 Well-Known Member

While nowhere near what the likes of Family Guy or The Simpsons would do, the original Looney Tunes cartoons weren't meant only for kids. Stuff like alcohol, overly cartoony violence , and some mild commentary on society, were fairly common, and a lot of the shorts had to be edited or banned (Censored 11). With this in mind, could there be an adult Looney Tunes cartoon, and could it work? When I say adult, I mean a TV-14 cartoon and above, not a TV-PG or lower show that just has adult jokes. I have a few more points to possibly support this idea:

1. ScoobyNatural- The Scooby Doo/Supernatural crossover was fairly well received despite other dark Scooby projects (Zombie Island) being made with kids in mind to some degree, never being aimed only at adults.

2. Looney Tunes cameos from in DC Comics films: For some reason, there have been Looney Tunes cameos in the DC Universe Animated Original Movies Lineup. The first time was in Justice League: The New Frontier, where Martian Manhunter was seen watching a Bugs Bunny cartoon (with Joe Alaskey reprising the role). For Harley's introduction scene in "Batman: Assault On Arkham", she was seen watching The Looney Tunes Show on her phone. The ending of Teen Titans: The Judas Contract has Nightwing and Starfire watching a Daffy Duck cartoon in their apartment .

So, what do you think?

#1 SweetShop209, May 14, 2018
    Last edited: May 15, 2018
  2. Daffyfan2002

Daffyfan2002 $enior member

Isn't that kind of what The Looney Tunes Show was supposed to be, hence the PG rating?

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. SweetShop209

Well, Adventure Time and Steven Universe are both kids shows that also got a PG rating, so The Looney Tunes Show is still a kids show.

4. zlens

zlens New Member

I'm not sure it would work, but it depends in what sense those proposed cartoons would be adult, I mean, if the producers or directors think making an adult looney tunes cartoon its them just adding a bunch of swearing, gore or sexual situations, that would be tasteless, unfunny and lame.
    In the other hand, if by adult they mean putting the characters in mature but well written, well thought-out situations that adults can see themselves into; for example, Sylvester being divorced and having to pay alimony and discuss custody with his ex to see Sylvester Junior or something like that, not necessary something restricted to kids, maybe that would work. the problem would be to find an audience for that.
    You know, like Batman TAS sometimes do episodes about situations similar to that but was still suitable to children.

5. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

I think the PG rating for The Looney Tunes Show was some of the biggest load of b.s. Cartoon Network ever tried to shovel at us. It was Y7 at best every week. Why do I think this? Because Justice League / Unlimited routinely got away with far saucier innuendo and themes on a TV-Y7 rating. You also have to keep in mind that when the show aired, CN was seeming to rate every single one of their new cartoons PG, whether it deserved it or not. And The Looney Tunes Show definitely did not.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. SweetShop209

Ironically, and not wanting to get too off track, many people think that Scooby Doo: Mystery Incorporated, which is far more violent and came out a year earlier , should've gotten the PG rating.

To get back on track, i think this could potentially work, as long as it's something like ScoobyNatural, where it still tells a meaningful story, and just happens to have adult shock value , rather than build the plot around the adult nature.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Daffyfan2002

Daffyfan2002 $enior member

I actually missed ScoobyNatural, but I guess that's too off topic. Just thought I'd mention that.

8. superkeegan9100

superkeegan9100 Well-known user and expert in cartoons

...Nah. Looney Tunes for adults won't work in 2018. Bugs Bunny's too popular with the kids (albeit Looney Tunes will never be as popular as it used to be).