C&C - Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans S2 - "Hunter of Angels" [1/27]

Discussion in 'The Adult Swim/Toonami Forum' started by Kitschensyngk, Jan 27, 2018.

1. PicardMan

PicardMan Member

The hyped death machine that was supposed to have wrecked havoc in the calamity war ends up not being able to kill any major characters. It wasn't that menacing and the arc could have been trimmed a few episodes. Mikazuki's plight is the more interesting plot point. Lasting injuries in anime are so rare, even relatively rare for Gundam, and that's what makes this series the dark and realistic Gundam. It's also interesting how un-Gundam Mikazuki is from the rest of the "I hate war" protagonists as a world without war would be hell for our protagonist, his life is that messed up. Okay, the Atra and Kudelia love Mikazuki plot is...awkward and that scene was could only be described using the word awkward.

2. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought that this episode was really good. At first, I thought that they skipped the battle altogether just to focus on the aftermath, but they did both instead. Mikazuki's attacks on the Mobile Armor were pretty intense. Being able to go all out basically allows him to move like one with his Gundam. There was even a rare moment of Mikazuki being emotional when he was almost hit. He is so used to being able to take down his enemies with little to no challenge, but now he was pushed to his limits and then some. It really showed how brutal and intense Mikazuki's fighting style is compared to the other pilots.

While Mikazuki was able to take down the Mobile Armor without it killing off any main/supporting characters, it still leaves a pretty big threat to the cast. There are potentially other Mobile Armor throughout Mars and they could activate again if a Gundam comes close to them. Not to mention it took a lot for Mikazuki to just take down one of them. It might have been easier if he did allow other people to help him, but he wouldn't have wanted that and that could have easily caused more complications rather than helping him. Iok continued to be annoying with his focus on avenging his men, even though he was the one who caused their deaths in the first place.

I thought that Mikazuki would deal with more physical injuries after unleashing Barbatos' full power, but he lost the ability to walk. Considering that we still have a few episodes to go through for this season, it makes me wonder what else could happen to him, especially in the final battle. He wasn't really bothered by his situation, which was a bit surprising. He was okay with losing his eye and use of his arm after the first season, but he was still able to do basically what he did before. It didn't seem to slow him down, but now he can't move around on his own. Hush has to carry him around instead, although it does make me wonder why they couldn't at least get him a wheel chair. Getting replacements for his arm and leg might be possible, but that would probably be more expensive and risky by comparison.

I could understand why Kudelia and Atra were so shaken by Mikazuki being so calm. They care about him and the idea that he could be gone completely the next time he fights would be painful for them. Atra asking Kudelia to have a baby with Mikazuki was so strange. I even said "What?" out loud to myself just a moment before Kudelia did, so that was kind of unusual too. This is the calmest and yet still one of the weirdest love triangles I've seen in an anime series.

I liked how they focused on Orga's conflict during this situation. He is rushing towards his goal and that already has resulted in some consequences, but Naze already can see some uncertainty in Orga's eyes. He already felt guilt for what happened to Mikazuki, so hearing that would have caused him to feel more tension and regret for his actions. Mikazuki saving that he doesn't need to understand what Kudelia was saying before because he can't live without fighting was incredibly depressing. It made sense with his character and his situation, but just the idea that the child soldier mentality was that strong to where he couldn't understand a world without fighting or that he has to fight in order to live was just felt really tragic to me. Orga and Mikazuki do seem to genuinely care about each other, which is why they go to such lengths to help each other. Overall, it was a really good episode.

3. PicardMan

PicardMan Member

Oh yeah, maybe we'll see a whole army of mobile armors or something. I am still unsure of who the final antagonist will be, mobile armors or Gjallorhorn. There's still the issue of how the McGillis alliance will affect things, as that plotline had has been running long too. I think we have 13 more episodes, and it will be interesting to see how everything ties up.

4. Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92 Well-Known Member

I think you mean Atra. Asta definitely wouldn't want someone to bear a child with Mikazuki :D.

This episode has a lot to unpack, but I'll focus in on Mikazuki's continued debilitating injuries. I get the feeling that Orga may very well be directly responsible for some of Mikazuki's more...aggressive behavior, and now that pseudo-grooming has resulted in a pilot who has little-to-no regard for his own life.

5. Nobodyman

Nobodyman Well-Known Member

Well, that was one hell of a Freudian slip. Fixed.