C&C - JoJo's Bizarre Adventure - "The Lovers, Part 2" [12/9]

Discussion in 'The Adult Swim/Toonami Forum' started by veemonjosh, Dec 9, 2017.

1. veemonjosh

veemonjosh Get back, Jojo

Characters

[​IMG]
    Jotaro Kujo
    Voiced by: Matthew Mercer
    Stand: Star Platinum
    Ability: Strength and Precision
    Stats: Destructive Power - A / Speed - A / Range - C / Durability - A / Precision - A / Developmental Potential - A
    Namesake: The Star (tarot card)
    Joseph’s grandson, Jotaro isn’t one for displaying his emotions and is a man of few words, but deep down has a gentle heart and will protect anybody close to him, especially if he has to beat the crap out of someone. Recently, he gained a mysterious power known as a Stand, his being a powerful one with incredible precision and strength. With his Stand, Star Platinum, he’s now on a journey to Egypt to take down DIO and save his mother.

[​IMG]
    Joseph Joestar
    Voiced by: Richard Epcar
    Stand: Hermit Purple
    Ability: Divination and Hamon
    Stats: Destructive Power - D / Speed - C / Range - D / Durability - A / Precision - D / Developmental Potential - E
    Namesake: The Hermit (tarot card)
    Joseph Joestar once saved the world nearly 50 years ago, but since then retired from his Hamon training and became a real estate tycoon in America. However, after gaining his Stand, he sprung back into action once discovering that the evil DIO, who had taken his grandfather’s life, had reemerged from his hundred-year slumber. Alongside his grandson Jotaro, his friend Avdol, and high schooler Kakyoin, Joseph is now in a race against time to defeat DIO and remove the curse afflicting his daughter Holly.

[​IMG]
    Noriaki Kakyoin
    Voiced by: Kyle Hebert
    Stand: Hierophant Green
    Abilities: Coiled body, marionette control, and Emerald Splash
    Stats: Destructive Power - C / Speed - B / Range - A / Durability - B / Precision - C / Developmental Potential - D
    Namesakes: Kakyoin (neighborhood in Sendai, Japan) / The Hierophant (tarot card)
    Kakyoin originally worked for DIO, having been brainwashed by the vampire while on a family trip to Egypt, but was saved by Jotaro. Being a righteous individual determined to rid the world of evil and to repay his debt to Jotaro, Kakyoin has joined the quest to defeat DIO.

[​IMG]
    Jean Pierre Polnareff
    Voiced by: Doug Erholtz
    Stand: Silver Chariot
    Abilities: Speed and sword combat
    Stats: Destructive Power - C / Speed - A / Range - C / Durability - B / Precision - B / Developmental Potential - C
    Namesakes: Jean-Paul Belmondo (actor) / Michel Polnareff (musician) / The Chariot (tarot card)
    Polnareff is a chivalrous Frenchman who met the Crusaders in Hong Kong. He was initially a minion of DIO but, like Kakyoin, was rescued from the brainwashing that had been placed on him. He had joined the group to avenge his sister, who was killed by the evil Stand user Centerfold. But after defeating his target, he continues onward with them to Egypt to end DIO’s evil reign and ensure no one else has to suffer.

[​IMG]
    Dan of Steel (Japanese name: Steely Dan)
    Voiced by: Grant George (Dan of Steel) / Tony Oliver (Lovers)
    Stand: Lovers
    Abilities: Pain Synchronization / Organic Waste Clones / Spores Cultivation
    Stats: Destructive Power - E / Speed - D / Range - A / Durability - A / Precision - D / Developmental Potential - E
    Namesakes: Steely Dan (band) / The Lovers (tarot card) / Man of Steel (Superman)
    In the city of Karachi, the Crusaders found a kebab salesman who Joseph tried to haggle with. However, Enyaba immediately recognized him as Dan of Steel, the user of the Stand named Lovers, a Stand which Dan himself admits is possibly the weakest Stand in existence. However, the destructive power of Lovers comes from its microscopic size, which allows it to infiltrate its target’s brain. Through this, Dan can transfer any damage done to him onto his opponent, which he demonstrated by using Lovers on Joseph, preventing any of the Crusaders from hurting him, lest they injure the eldest member of their group. Dan has now taken the opportunity to inflict humiliation on Jotaro, who knows he can’t hurt the sadistic enemy without putting his grandfather in grave danger.

[​IMG]
    Enyaba
    Voiced by: Barbara Goodson
    Namesakes: Enya (singer) / Justice (tarot card)
    Stand: Justice
    Abilities: Fog String Puppetry and Illusions
    Stats: Destructive Power - D / Speed - E / Range - A / Durability - A / Precision - E / Developmental Potential - E
    Enyaba was DIO’s right-hand confidant, operated alongside him behind the scenes to give him advice and coordinated his followers, including her son Centerfold, in their attacks on the Crusaders. After all the Stand users she sent had failed, she left DIO's mansion in Egypt to attack the Crusaders herself, taking control of a Pakistani town and using her Stand, Justice, to control the deceased citizens like puppets. However, she was defeated and taken as a hostage by Jotaro and gang, who intended to interrogate her about DIO's abilities. But before they could, she was killed by a flesh bud implanted in her brain by Lovers.

[​IMG]
    DIO
    Voiced by: Patrick Seitz
    Namesake: DIO (Band)
    Stand: ???
    In the early 1880’s, a lower-class orphan by the name of Dio Brando was taken in by the upper-class Joestar family. With resentment for those of higher social status than him, Dio spent the next 7 years planning to take out the heir to the Joestar family, Jonathan Joestar, and claim its fortune. However, caught at a critical time in his plan, Dio used an ancient artifact the Joestars owned to become a vampire and began a new plot for world domination. Jonathan, along his friends, fought back against Dio, ending in a confrontation on a ship in the middle of the Atlantic which cost Jonathan’s life and sent Dio to a supposed watery grave. However, nearly a hundred years later, he was recovered by an unsuspecting group of treasure hunters, and given life anew in the modern age! Having gained possession of a mysterious Stand ability, the being now known simply as “DIO” wraps his insidious grasp around the world through agents also possessing Stands, in the resurrection of his plot to end the Joestar bloodline and dominate humanity! Jonathan’s body has manifested a Stand similar to Joseph’s Hermit Purple which allows DIO to monitor the Stardust Crusaders, but DIO’s own Stand is something more mysterious and far more terrifying.

[​IMG]

Episode 17 (43)
    “The Lovers, Part 2"
    Chapters adapted: 163-165​

Previously on JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure:
    The Crusaders, with Enyaba in tow, arrived in the Pakistani city of Karachi, where they ran into a suspicious kebab merchant. The merchant, who revealed himself to be a man named Dan of Steel, used a microscopic Stand to implant one of DIO’s flesh buds inside of Enyaba’s brain; As she drew her last breaths, even knowing her master had betrayed her, she stood by him and refused to tell the Crusaders about DIO’s Stand. Dan then revealed he had used his Stand, a microscopic Stand called Lovers, to infect Joseph, causing any damage done to Dan to then be reflected back at Joseph! Worse yet, Lovers held one of DIO’s flesh buds, which it intended to implant inside Joseph and kill him like it did Enyaba.

Kakyoin and Polnareff shrunk their Stands down to a microscopic size, entering Joseph’s brain in an attempt to extract the parasite from within. Meanwhile, Jotaro kept an eye on Dan, who took the opportunity to humiliate him knowing he wouldn’t be able to fight back until Lovers

Now:
    Heirophant Green and Silver Chariot continue to try to extract the Lovers from Joseph’s brain as it begins to multiply, while Jotaro silently grows more frustrated as he waits for a chance to exact his revenge on Dan of Steel.

JOJO'S JUKEBOX

This week’s Jukebox song is “Do It Again” by Steely Dan.

Notes:
    • The manga chapters which this episode covers can be found in Stardust Crusaders volume 4, presently available in hardcover from Viz Media. Alternatively, they can also be found in volume 6 of the older paperback releases.
    • The first season of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, covering the first 26 episodes, is now available on Bluray from Viz Media and on DVD from Warner Home Video.
    • Please, no spoilers about upcoming events and future arcs. Seriously.

2. PapaGreg

PapaGreg Drinking my sorrows

Why God invented Ora

3. Volthoom

Volthoom Member

Aww yeah, we getting this beat down.

4. Kitschensyngk

Kitschensyngk The kids are all wrong

Last time: Jojo don't lose that number.

Got home late from a family outing. I'm still catching up on Black Clover; I'll be behind for a bit.

5. Nobodyman

Nobodyman Well-Known Member

Previously on JJBA: Joseph suffers a Royal Scam.

Tonight: A Countdown to Ecstasy.

Incidentally, anyone ever see Fantastic Voyage?

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. PapaGreg

You know, I'm not going to say anything, I want to see yall's reaction

7. Nobodyman

"You're no match for me, Dr. Zoidberg!"

Now he's become Dr. Cloneberg.

8. animePWNS

animePWNS Everyone Is Here!

Talk about tough love.

Well, love does lead to multiplication...

9. MasterofRoku

MasterofRoku Active Member

I like how The Lovers has its own spotlight and stage in Joseph's head.

10. Nobodyman

"We're making a citizen's arrest. Or beating, at least."

Oh, another Hamon usage.

11. Kitschensyngk

If you want your dad to live, you gotta be my slave for a week.

"Lower...lower...lower...now you're scratching my BUTT!!"

And fish out that Fatheads Chewable Vitamin Cheese Tablet while you're in there.

Great. Tentacles. At least this isn't Sword Art Online.

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. animePWNS

Nice try, coward.

13. PapaGreg

Here it comes

14. Nobodyman

Payback's a b**ch.

I can't help but wonder if Luffy's Gum-Gum Gatling was inspired by this.

15. Kitschensyngk

Will the real Stand please stand up?

And he won't even give him a tip.

Broadcasts his cranial infestation on TV so he can watch. The bastard.

Like little crablike parasitic Lupin the IIIs.

I don't want you hanging around this guy, Jojo. I don't think he's a very good influence.

Chopped off the fingers of thieves? What were they, former Yakuza?

• Like Like x 1
    #15 Kitschensyngk, Dec 10, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
  16. animePWNS

Good riddance, Dan of Steel.

As for Walter Becker of your namesake, I know it's been a few months now, but RIP.

17. MasterofRoku

MasterofRoku Active Member

Fun fact, this isn't longest stand beatdown in the series. In the Manga, in a later part, there's a beatdown that's 7 pages long but hasn't been animated yet.

18. Kitschensyngk

He don't know me vewy well, do he?

Who'd notice another tentacle around here?

GET OUT OF MY HEAD YOU DEMONS!!

"Jotaro has no way of knowing!"
    I think he got the message.

Like snatching a fly out of thin air.

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. marklungo

marklungo Greetings from Honneamise

If there's one thing JJBA does well, it's setting up sadistic villains, then letting them get their way for a while so it'll be all the more satisfying when they finally lose.

#19 marklungo, Dec 10, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
  20. Kitschensyngk

You're bluffing out of cowardice.

This Dan of Steel has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down.

Dan of Steel? More like Dan of Silly Putty.

• Funny Funny x 2