C&C - Hunter x Hunter - "Reunion × And × Understanding" [12/9]

Discussion in 'The Adult Swim/Toonami Forum' started by veemonjosh, Dec 9, 2017.

1. veemonjosh

veemonjosh Get back, Jojo

[​IMG][​IMG]

Opening theme: "Departure!" by Masatoshi Ono [VERSION 5]
    Ending theme: "Nagareboshi Kirari" by Yuzu

Characters
    [​IMG]
    Gon Freecss
    Voiced by: Erica Mendez
    Gon is a young energetic boy from Whale Island who has become a Hunter to venture the world and find his father, Ging. After accessing “Greed Island”, a rare video game Ging created, Gon and his friend Killua completed the game and used one of the in-game items he received as a reward to teleport to someone using the handle “Nigg”, whom Gon believes is anagram for his father’s name. Gon is an enhancement-type Nen user, able to unleash a destructive amount of Nen from his fists.

[​IMG]
    Killua Zoldyck
    Voiced by: Christina Vee
    Killua is the youngest son of the Zoldycks, a family of assassins known the world over. After meeting Gon, the two quickly became best friends and he’s been tagging along with him ever since, which most recently has taken them within the realm of Greed Island. Killua is a transmutation-type Nen user, able to absorb and control electricity.

[​IMG]
    Ging Freecss
    Voiced by: Mark Diraison
    Gon’s father, a Double-Star Hunter and world-famous archeologist. He is the creator of Greed Island, a game solely meant for Hunters and run by his close friends, which he also left for Gon to experience and become stronger through. His location is shrouded in mystery, as he doesn’t want his son to find him until Gon is ready. However, it seems that Gon may have at last found him...

[​IMG]

Episode 76: "Reunion × And × Understanding"
    Chapters adapted: 1, 185-186
    Corresponding 1999 episode: 1 (flashback)​

Last time...
    With Gon having collected all 99 specified slot cards, a final event activated where every player would be able to answer a quiz about the cards, and the player with the highest score netting card #0, “Ruler’s Blessing”. As the quiz went on, Abengane touched Genthru and uttered the phrase “I caught the Bomber”, finally freeing him of the nen curse. He then used Magnetic Force to teleport to Hisoka’s location, revealing he was the nen exorcist that the Phantom Troupe had hired to cure Chrollo.

With 87 points out of a possible 100, Gon was the winner of the quiz. An owl then arrived to deliver “Ruler’s Invitation”, a letter which granted Gon sole access to a castle in Greed Island’s capital city of Limeiro. There, he met Dwun and List, two of the Gamemasters, who awarded him “Ruler’s Blessing” and told Gon more about his father Ging. Afterwards, Gon and his friends, as well as various players and the citizens of Limeiro, celebrated the game finally being cleared with a parade and fireworks, as well as a huge feast.

Having cleared the game, Gon was given the option of three cards which he could take with him back to the real world. As thanks to Biscuit for training him and Killua, Gon gave her the card she had been aiming for, “Blue Planet”, which transformed into a blue gemstone. The other two cards were “Paladin’s Necklace” and “Strip of Beach”; however, Gon used the power of the Paladin’s Necklace to reveal that the Strip of Beach card was, in fact, an Accompany card disguised to allow him to take out a non-specified slot card. Gon explained that when he had first arrived on Greed Island, he noticed a name in his book, “Nigg”, indicating he had met the person before. He guessed that “Nigg” must be an anagram for “Ging”, and hoped to use the Accompany card to take both him and Killua to meet his father. The two boys bid farewell to Biscuit, then used Accompany.

Landing in a far away forest shrouded in fog, Gon and Killua spotted a man sitting by a tree, fishing. Had they finally found Gon’s father?

This time…
    Gon meets a familiar face from his past and learns about a Contract Hunter named Kite.

Notes:
    • This is the first episode of the Chimera Ant arc, easily the lengthiest arc in the entire series at a whopping 61 episodes long.
    • As I alluded to last week, there is a scene in this episode which originated from the very first chapter of the manga. This was covered in the first episode of the 1999 adaptation, but the 2011 adaptation initially omitted the scene and chose not to adapt it until now as a flashback. Beyond that, we’re entering territory that was never covered in animated form before.
    • The chapters which this episode covers can be found in volumes 1 and 18 of the manga release.
    • Three Bluray/DVD sets are available now from Viz Media, containing the first 50 episodes.

2. Nobodyman

Nobodyman Well-Known Member

So we're finally doin' this f**kin' thing, huh? Well, enjoy.

Or don't. Whatever.

3. PapaGreg

PapaGreg Drinking my sorrows

Ladies and Gentleman, Boys and Girls enjoy the darkest Arc. Some call it the pinnacle of Shonen arcs while other feel as if its a tad overrated but one thing for sure is that $#%^ bout to get real and you are going to have some strong feeling

4. StorytellerMJ5

StorytellerMJ5 Active Member

Haven't posted in a while, have I?

Well anyways, it starts tonight. This arc sure is something.

50% of the time it's really good. The other 50% of the time, it is absolutely terrible, IMO.

Overall it's in my bottom two, just above Greed Island. If you found York New overrated or slow paced or whatever, than you will most likely not like this arc. And it's really really long. Way too long.

5. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

I greatly enjoyed the arc in the manga, and have heard that it's a great adaption, so I'm pretty excited.
    Love or hate it, no one in their right minds can call this arc "formulaic Shonen".

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. 3ngag3

3ngag3 Member

So, about the character that's introduced tonight, you might wanna watch episode 1 of the 1999 series to get more context on him. (Not to mention the fact that it goes into much more detail about Gon's motivation to become a Hunter.)

7. marklungo

marklungo Greetings from Honneamise

Razor's here, but where's T-Bone?

8. Magmaster12

Magmaster12 Well-Known Member

Seriously Gon your father is a jerk, we're seriously getting an entire arc devoted to this guy?

9. PapaGreg

Yeah but not this arc and said arc is people craping on him

• Like Like x 1
  10. StorytellerMJ5

Not even close. His importance in this arc is pretty much over now. Unless I'm forgetting something, but I don't think so.

11. Kitschensyngk

Kitschensyngk The kids are all wrong

"I registered it, but I never used it. That name almost sounds like something an alt-right nutcase on Reddit would use."

That's a lot of fish.

12. Radical

Radical The Face of Evil & Epicness!!!!!

Episode 76 was pretty sweet, I'll enjoy the awesome/dark Chimera Ant arc dubbed,

Love the Chimera Ants arc new opening with new characters/new deadly villains, the new villain and his top followers I'll be liking better than Team Genthru.

The mysterious new character is not Ging of course, but cool of him destroying the Chimera Ants.

Love his new Nen ability Crazy Slots - Psychotic Clown.

Both Gon/Killua learning about the most dangerous new species the Chimera Ants was great.

Kite, my favorite awesome new ally character after Melody, Biscuit, and Razor, he's cool/interesting, his backstory when he first met Ging and Gon was interesting while being Ging's student:D.

The legendary Ging may be a selfish jerkwad/worst father hated by fans, but I like him and find him interesting though.

Gon wanting to find Ging on his own without cheating was great.

The sneak peek of the evil vile Chimera Ant Queen giving birth to the Chimera Ant King, my favorite awesome new horrible major villainess:D.

Love the sweet Chimera Ants new ending.

#12 Radical, Dec 10, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
  13. PicardMan

PicardMan Member

The discussion for this episode had hardly any discussion of this episode and a lot for this arc as a whole and the next arc. I know the Greed Island arc got hate comments at the beginning, but I found that arc to be more hit and miss than terrible (the worst episode of it was easily better than the best episode of Dimension W, Sand Whale and Me, and other Toonami travesties). I hope chimera arc hate for this is exaggerated too.

This episode was "meet Kite" and "Kite is cool" (being named after a toy doesn't sound cool, but he makes up for it in style). That weapon's roulette power was interesting, but it had quite the annoying voice (to the audience and Kite himself). I hope clown face weapon isn't a major character with lots of lines. We only got to see a little bit of the chimera ants (one itty-bitty one and one giant one eating fish and waiting to give birth to the king). That epic giant ant attack scene we saw in the bumpers should be happening pretty soon right? Overall, I'm curious to see how Kite is important to this arc. The anime seems to have a "mentor of the arc" format, so I guess he'll take Biscuit and Wing's role.

14. PapaGreg

@PicardMan The Chimera Ant Arc is more divisive than hated, some think its one of the best Shonen arcs ever while others think its overrated, me personally I fall in the former category. As for Kite he was introduced in the beggining of the manga and the 1999 anime adaption but for some reason the 2011 version decided to introduce him in the Chimera Ant Arc.

15. PicardMan

PicardMan Member

I wonder why it's divisive. What is all the praise and criticism about? It's interesting that Kite apparently had his debut delayed so much. Of course, the original story plan, introducing him at the very beginning and him being relevant 70ish episodes later would require audiences to refresh their memories. Still, the way he's put into the show as it is feels like a weird retcon. It's debatable whether or not delaying his introduction was a good or bad idea. I hope Kite becomes an endearing character just like so many other character of the arcs.(although a lot of character of the arcs were throwaways, I remember half the bodyguards were just used to be killed off to show off how cool the Phantom Troupe was. He may have the role of character who exists only to get killed off to show how cool the villains are.) Considering the lack of discussion of Kite, I'm writing his obituary.

16. PapaGreg

@PicardMan The reason why this arc is so divisive is the latter half have some pacing problems, some people think its important while others think its annoying. Lets just say at that part of the story you are better off binge watching and Toonami's use in marathon is going to make things even more annoying.

17. StorytellerMJ5

I never really cared for Kite as a character. I can't get into his character too much without spoiling a bunch of stuff. He's very very important though.

As for the arc as a whole, my two major issues are pacing and how it handles some of the characters. Mostly just Gon though. The pacing is horrible though. And this is coming from someone who watched it at my own pace. So once a week is probably gonna be brutal. The pacing in this is arc is more annoying than any One Piece arc I've watched.

This arc is really good for Killua though, so that's something to keep an eye on for first time watchers.

18. SaneMan

SaneMan Well-Known Member

1 episode till infestation

19. PicardMan

PicardMan Member

Good to know that that this arc gets to the action right away.

20. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

As far as arc openers go, this one wasn't too impressive (weaker animation than usual, mostly exposition). Still excited for things to come, though.

I'm glad that Toonami played the whole opening, since the animation was new.