C&C - Hunter x Hunter - "Gungi × of × Komugi" [8/18]

• We have upgraded to Xenforo 2. We've decided to open the forums back up while we configure the theme and plugins. Thanks for your patience.

Latest News

Sep 30, 2005
Ratings
The Grid
Toonami2018-_Main_Template.png Toonami2018-_Hunter_XHunter.png

Opening theme: "Departure!" by Masatoshi Ono [VERSION 5]
Ending theme: "Hyōri Ittai" by Yuzu [VERSION 1]​

Hunter+X+Hunter+-+108+-+Large+08.jpg

Episode 108
"Gungi × of × Komugi"
Chapters adapted: 255-258

This time:
The extermination team prepare as the selection draws closer, while concerns arise regarding how Komugi is affecting the King.

Notes:
  • The chapters which this episode covers can be found in volume 24 of the manga release.
  • Episodes 1-75 are currently available across four Bluray/DVD sets from Viz Media.
  • The first movie, “Hunter × Hunter: Phantom Rouge”, is now available on Bluray and DVD.

Hypeathon

Nov 12, 2010
Ratings
New York
"But it's not suffocating. In fact, it feels enjoyable..."

It's called having fun, genius!

What da fffffff.... WE SPENT HOW MANY EPISODES PLAYING THIS GAME AND HE NEVER THOUGHT ABOUT EXCHANGING NAMES?!!?!

Mr. Anime

Sep 12, 2006
Ratings
New York
I thought Exhibit A would be Toguro
Toguro at least got proven wrong in his beliefs about choosing power over friends and loved ones and took his punishment even if it's what he wanted all along. Sensui in spite of his beatdown got away with everything he aimed to achieve and was never proven wrong about humanity.

PicardMan

Nov 9, 2016
Ratings
207 5
We get some character development for Meruem this episode (and we learn that he doesn't know that's what his mom named him). He does have that sort of desire to be superior to everybody (and he acknowledges being the most powerful at combat. The parallels with Cell from Dragonball Z are obvious, but this episode revealed significant differences from that character). We appear to have him actually developing a soft spot for Kogumi. I know the Chimera Ant Arc is popular, but it seems like many of the individual chimera ants were disposable villains that get dispatched in one or two episodes. Mereum is one of the few interesting individual villains. The "best arc in shonen history" tag doesn't quite make sense to me so far, but maybe something that happens later earns it this mark. It's still a really solid shonen arc with the cool fights and spectacles, but character wise it seems to not quite reach the level of the Phantom Troupe's arc. Still, this arc has better pacing and way more action than that arc, so the jury's still out. How this arc ends will be big in how I feel about it.

Radical

The Face of Evil & Epicness!!!!!
Nov 7, 2004
Ratings
268 1
Lacey,Washington
Episode 108 was pretty great,

Komugi, best new girl, such an amazing gungi player.

Gon, Killua, Knuckle/Shoot, Meleoreon, and Ikalgo's plan is pretty sweet/clever.

Love Neferpitou's sweet cute moment there.

The Chimera Ant King finally gets his name, sweet.

Mereum showing character development/compassion for wanting to protect Komugi was sweet, love it when ruthless anime villains develop/change like Hiei/Younger Toguro, Lust(first series)/Greed/Yoki/Barry the Chopper, Lord Genome, and Migi/Reiko(Parasyte -the maxim-) for example.

Last edited:

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
Ratings
In a Dream World
We get some character development for Meruem this episode (and we learn that he doesn't know that's what his mom named him). He does have that sort of desire to be superior to everybody (and he acknowledges being the most powerful at combat. The parallels with Cell from Dragonball Z are obvious, but this episode revealed significant differences from that character). We appear to have him actually developing a soft spot for Kogumi. I know the Chimera Ant Arc is popular, but it seems like many of the individual chimera ants were disposable villains that get dispatched in one or two episodes. Mereum is one of the few interesting individual villains. The "best arc in shonen history" tag doesn't quite make sense to me so far, but maybe something that happens later earns it this mark. It's still a really solid shonen arc with the cool fights and spectacles, but character wise it seems to not quite reach the level of the Phantom Troupe's arc. Still, this arc has better pacing and way more action than that arc, so the jury's still out. How this arc ends will be big in how I feel about it.
I'm still kind of annoyed that Colt got so much focused at the start of the arc only to have disappeared once the Queen died. I'm sure he'll come back at some point, but for one of the more prominent Chimera Ants and one of the few who seemed to be likable even before he went to get help from the Hunters, I don't know why he has been gone for so long. At least this subplot seems to be making Mereum more interesting than I expected.

I don't know if I've heard the Chimera Ant arc as being the best arc in shonen history. I heard more praise for the York New arc and that didn't really impress me as much as the hype made it out to be. So far, I would say that I'm enjoying the Chimera Ant arc more. I'm already feeling its length and it is annoying how some characters just disappear for a long period of time, but at least stuff actually happens here. We aren't wasting time on figuring out how to get money for an auction when it ultimately didn't matter. The way the arc wraps up everything will also have a big factor as to how I feel about it, but so far, I think it's pretty solid.

Anyway, I thought that this episode was pretty good. I was annoyed that we didn't see Gon and Killua reunite or everyone's reactions to Ikalgo joining the group. I can understand wanting to just jump right into everyone getting ready for their confrontation against the Chimera Ants, but it was disappointing. Since Gon and Killua were separated for awhile, I wanted to see how they'd react upon seeing each other again. After the nice moments between Killu and Ikalgo in the previous episode, watching him introduce Ikalgo to the group would have been nice too. Instead, we get Gon worrying about Palm. It made sense as to why he would be worried about her and want to save her if they could, but since I don't like Palm, focusing on that instead of characters that I do like is annoying.

At least Mereum's interactions with Komugi were becoming more interesting. Even though he didn't want to take another break after the previous one, he changed his mind because of how he didn't want to win when she was too tired. He even learned her name. I was confused when he didn't know his name, but he didn't know that the Queen gave him a name before he was born. The Royal Guards being more concerned about how Komugi was affecting him wasn't too surprising. He's been pretty distracted from all of these games, so maybe they thought he wouldn't be focused enough on the shortening.

It was clear that they tried to kill Komugi with that bird so that they possibly wouldn't get into trouble with the King. Mereum's more emotional reaction was surprising though. Even though he wanted to kill her, the moment he saw her attacked by the bird, he killed it and went to check on her. Even he wasn't prepared for how attached he had become to her. Komugi crying over how nice Mereum was to her was sad on multiple levels. The fact that no one has been that nice to her before says a lot about her own life and family.

It also really makes me wonder how they'll handle this subplot. They obviously can't redeem Mereum or at least I think that's highly unlikely. While he does seem to have some fondness for Komugi, he's still the villain who has no problem killing people and still wants to control the world. They'll probably need to kill all of the Chimera Ants that pose a thread to humanity by the end of the arc. Plus, Hunter x Hunter doesn't have a lot of reformed villains compared to other shonen series, so even if he wasn't a monster with no care for human life, it doesn't seem likely that they'd use his connection with Komugi as a way to have Mereum change his ways. Overall, it was a pretty good episode.

PapaGreg

Drinking my sorrows
Nov 1, 2013
Ratings
1,400 7
Sensui in spite of his beatdown got away with everything he aimed to achieve and was never proven wrong about humanity.
I would't say everything, he didn't succeed in genociding humanity and Koenma did say there was a white tape showing the good from humanity and watching only one doesn't give humanity a fair chance

It was clear that they tried to kill Komugi with that bird so that they possibly wouldn't get into trouble with the King.
Nah, the guards had nothing to do with the bird if they wanted to kill Komugi they would't use a bird

Also when Mereum asked for his name member the guards reactions

Neferpitou- Pick a name you like
Shaipouf- You are the King you don't need a name
Youpi- That question is beyond my comprehension.

Last edited:

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
Ratings
In a Dream World
Nah, the guards had nothing to do with the bird if they wanted to kill Komugi they would't use a bird
That makes sense. I just thought that they wanted to make her death look like an accident so that they wouldn't upset Mereum. Although, in retrospect, I guess that the Royal Guards wouldn't want to go behind their King's like that anyway, especially when Shaipouf was having breakdowns regarding what he almost did twice in this episode.

Gold Guy

Ride On
Staff member
Dec 14, 2008
Ratings
2,651 6
New York City
Yeah, Mereum is definitely the best villain, and I daresay, one of my favorite Shonen Jump villains. He gets complex in a way most Jump villains aren't really allowed to be, I guess.