C&C - Hunter x Hunter - "Ging’s Friends × And × True Friends" [12/2]

Discussion in 'The Adult Swim/Toonami Forum' started by veemonjosh, Dec 2, 2017.

1. veemonjosh

veemonjosh Get back, Jojo

[​IMG][​IMG]

Opening theme: "Departure!" by Masatoshi Ono [VERSION 4]
    Ending theme: "Reason" by Yuzu

Characters
    [​IMG]
    Gon Freecss
    Voiced by: Erica Mendez
    Gon is a young energetic boy from Whale Island who has become a Hunter to venture the world and find his father, Ging. His latest clue to locating Ging was in the form of a box with a ring and a memory card for an extremely rare video game titled "Greed Island". He has now entered the game, only to find his father is not within it, but nevertheless he is determined to play his father's game and see all that is within it. Gon is an enhancement-type Nen user, who has recently discovered how to release a destructive amount of Nen from his fist.

[​IMG]
    Killua Zoldyck
    Voiced by: Christina Vee
    Killua is the youngest son of the Zoldycks, a family of assassins known the world over. After meeting Gon, the two quickly became best friends and he’s been tagging along with him ever since, which most recently has taken them within the realm of Greed Island. Killua is a transmutation-type Nen user, having recently discovered how to absorb and control electricity.

[​IMG]
    Biscuit Krueger
    Voiced by: Tara Sands
    An expert Nen user with 40 years of experience, Biscuit is a Double Star Treasure Hunter who uses Nen to make herself appear young. Like Gon and Killua, she was hired by Battera to complete Greed Island, and is now tagging along with them to help unlock their hidden potential while clearing the game.

[​IMG]
    Goreinu
    Voiced by: Edward Bosco
    A Jackpot Hunter hired by Battera to clear Greed Island. Goreinu is a Manipulator, able to create two Nen beast gorillas which he commands. After Tsezguerra quit the game, Goreinu came into possession of all his cards, which he in turn gave to Gon upon defeating Genthru, giving Gon all 99 specified slot cards.

[​IMG]
    Abengane
    Voiced by: Jalen K. Cassell
    A Nen Exorcist who was hired by Battera to complete Greed Island. He has now become the target of the Phantom Troupe, who hope to use his abilities to remove the chains Kurapika placed upon Chrollo.

[​IMG]
    Genthru
    Voiced by: Todd Haberkorn
    Genthru is the leader of the Bomb Devils, a trio of players on Greed Island with explosive abilities who intended to complete the game by any means, including blackmail and murder. After terrorizing the game for months, they were finally defeated by Gon, Killua, and Biscuit, and surrendered.

[​IMG]
    Bara and Sub
    Voiced by: J.D. Zelman and Kyle Hebert
    The other two members of the Bomb Devils.

[​IMG]
    Ging Freecss
    Voiced by: Mark Diraison
    Gon’s father, a Double-Star Hunter and world-famous archeologist. He is the creator of Greed Island, a game solely meant for Hunters and run by his close friends, which he also left for Gon to experience and become stronger through. His location is shrouded in mystery, as he doesn’t want his son to find him until Gon is ready.

[​IMG]

Episode 75: "Ging’s Friends × And × True Friends"
    Chapters adapted: 183-185
    Corresponding 1999 episodes: 91-92​

Last time...
    Gon, through a series of risky stunts along with a well-laid trap, defeated Genthru. Obtaining the cards Genthru was monopolizing, along with the cards Tsezguerra left to Goreinu, Gon reached the 99 necessary cards to unlock the final event: A 99 question quiz about all the cards, with the player who answers the most correct obtaining the secret #0 card!

This time…
    The quiz is answered and Gon’s time on Greed Island draws to a close.

Notes:
    • This is the final episode of the Greed Island arc.
    • If anyone was simultaneously following along with the original 1999-2004 anime, the end of this episode is where that adaptation concluded. With the exception of a single scene from the very first manga chapter which the 2011 anime chose not to adapt until next week’s episode, all the material going forward on was adapted for the first time in this version.
    • The chapters which this episode covers can be found in volume 18 of the manga release.
    • Three Bluray/DVD sets are available now from Viz Media, containing the first 50 episodes.

2. PapaGreg

PapaGreg Drinking my sorrows

Toonami just previewed the Chimera Ant Arc, buckle up kids if you think Hunter X Hunter was dark and morally dubious before you are going to be in for a trip

Also get used to that PG rating

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Hypeathon

Hypeathon Well-Known Member

Hello Mr. Bomber bastard. Goodbye Mr. Bomber Bastard.

4. PapaGreg

Oh my god we are in Togashi's room

[​IMG]

5. Hypeathon

Gon, get use to this cluttered setting. This is the lifestyle of the guy who literally draws your daily adventures.

6. Hypeathon

...........Makes you think, is the will of ‘D’ in one piece really the will of ‘W’? Have we all made a mistake?

7. Kitschensyngk

Kitschensyngk The kids are all wrong

WWW.WWEWWJDWUNE.COM

(don't click that, it's not suppoed to be a link and it keeps automatically making it one)

The Planet card is Blue, and there's nothing I can do.

GING is an anagram of a word that is dangerously close to being racist.

• Agree Agree x 1
    #7 Kitschensyngk, Dec 3, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
  8. Radical

Radical The Face of Evil & Epicness!!!!!

Episode 75 was pretty amazing, a sweet finale to the great Greed Island arc,

Gon, Killua, and Biscuit doing the next trivia challenge for the final card was sweet.

Nice seeing Abengane the black guy player, I'm glad he survived after Team Genthru's defeat.

Gon winning getting 87 of the 100 questions right getting Ruler's Invitation was sweet:D.

Gon/Killua crushing those two scumbag players Gashta/Zetsk was awesome, not a chance losers on wanting Gon's Ruler's Invitation card, hehehe.

Dwun/List, Ging's friends were great funny new characters, Dwun has one HUUUGE messy room, woooooooooow:eek::sweat:.

Dwun giving Gon the last card Ruler's Blessing was sweet and List/Dwun explaining the concept of Greed Island's name was great:D.They don't know where Ging, but Gon determined to find him was great.

Gon/Killua and Biscuit taking back Patch of Shore, Blue Planet, and Paladin's Necklance to the real world was great.

Biscuit loving Blue Planet was cute/funny:p.

When Gon was a baby on traveling to Greed Island with Ging was sweet.

Both Biscuit, Eeta, Razor, List/Dwun, Goreinu, Tsezguerra, and Binolt were great new characters from the Greed Island arc:D, I'll miss Goreinu.

Gon/Killua's goodbyes to Biscuit, she'll be back, and meeting an unknown figure was a great ending.

After enjoying the awesome Greed Island arc, I'll enjoy the sweet Chimera Ants arc, cool that they created a new arc, new deadliest villains, and really darker stuff, but cool seeing previews of it.

9. PicardMan

PicardMan Member

We thought "greed" would be a great name for our game despite the very negative connotations of that word. So glad we got out of the game because Gon seemed to enjoy it more than anyone else. I mean the bomber was far more threatening that any monster or bandit in the game (who all had maybe 2 minutes of screentime, this arc barely used its game setting). To make things worse, the bomber was far from an iconic anime villain.

Bring on the ants. This next arc looks to include horror elements. Will we really get our first TV-MA episodes in this arc (Phantom Troupe arc was as bloody as TV-14 could get)? It would be interesting to see how the show handles a dark and edgy arc.

10. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Gon's dad is someone I wouldn't want to be friends with...

This episode was fine, but overshadowed by my excitement for the next arc. I've waited years and years to see it animated (yes, I held off on watching it subbed on Crunchyroll because I assumed it would get dubbed right away...little did I know...)

11. PicardMan

PicardMan Member

Why did it take forever for Viz to dub this in the age of simuldubs (besides that being how Viz rolls?)

12. PapaGreg

Probably because the last Hunter X Hunter dub didn't do too well.

13. PicardMan

PicardMan Member

How different were the casts of the two dubs? Erica Mendez seems like a pretty big star now and a great pick for Gon. Who was the previous Gon?

14. Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92 Well-Known Member

Elinor Holt of Blue Water.

This episode was fine, shame Biscuit is pretty much leaving now. She was amusing, although her departure seems kind of odd given it seemed like she could probably teach Gon and Killua more techniques. Not sure what to make of her initial desires to "ruin their friendship" when we first saw her. And what become of the bombers? Does anyone try to take them to the authorities?

15. FantasyAlchemist

It's the same thing with the Naruto Shippuden dub. There's more than 80 episodes left to be released before it's complete. They release 13 episodes every 3-4 months so we've still got almost two years before it's all released. And Boruto might be the same deal if they end up dubbing that too (which they probably will).

16. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought that this episode was pretty good. I was expecting the other players to fight Gon instead of making an offer, but since this was the wrap up episode for the arc, I guess that they didn't want to have another battle. I was wondering where Abengane went to. I guess being the exorcist that the Spiders and Hisoka were looking for explained why he was in the opening despite having minimal impact on the storyline. Gon getting the top score on the quiz and beating the game was expected. I didn't think that the whole game was named after Ging's friends. The room was a bit funnier when I thought of the author's room.

At least Gon was happy to win the game and his solution to use the cards to potentially find Ging was pretty cleaver. It was also sweet how he wanted both Biscuit and Killua to choose a card that they could keep. It was disappointing that Biscuit left though. I understood that she didn't want to get too attached to them, even though that might have happened already, but it seemed like she could have done a lot more with their training. At least they had a nice farewell and hopefully Biscuit will appear again.

Overall, it was a pretty good episode and the arc itself was pretty good too. I may actually like this arc more than the Yorknew arc. I don't think that the highs for Greed Island were quite as high as the ones for the Yorknew arc, but I thought that the pacing was immensely better. While things were happening in Yorknew arc, it also felt like it was constant setup mode, to the point where I was shocked that we got to the finale when we did. It certainly wasn't bad. There were great fights, intense twists and Melody was really cool, but I don't think it lived up to the hype overall.

Greed Island was a much more traditional shonen arc compared to other HunterxHunter arcs, but I didn't think that was a bad thing since it was engaging. There were still slow episodes, the game itself wasn't too interesting due to how it was mainly the backdrop of the arc and Genthru was a seriously boring villain despite being pretty threatening with his powers. Even so, I really enjoyed the training aspect of the arc. It still felt like a good balance of showing enough of the characters' progression to make their increased strength/skills believable, but they also didn't didn't spend so much time on it that it felt like the arc was dragging. Biscuit was a surprisingly awesome addition to the cast, she had good chemistry with Gon and Killua and I liked how she still came off as a full grown woman instead of acting more like a little girl. I do hope she'll come back at some point. The dodge ball game along with the final battles were definitely the biggest highlights of the arc. While I can kind of see why other fans of the series wouldn't particularly care for this arc, I liked it a lot. I am curious how I'll feel about this next arc considering the hype for it too.

17. PicardMan

PicardMan Member

Yeah, this arc probably did have more action than York New. Genthru was nowhere near as cool a villain as the Phantom Troupe, but this arc gave us the dodgeball match, Biscuit, scissors guy (remember him) and a couple of inspired moments. I know the training arcs drug for me, but this arc had some good points. The thing with HunterXHunter is that it's kind of uneven in execution, one episode I'm bored, the next I'm thrilled. It's still one of Toonami's better shows and Gon is probably the most likeable Toonami protagonist currently. Still, I expect the Chimera Ants to have their share of highs and lows. Still hyped by the promos as it looks like a "attack of the giant bugs" B-movie plot mixed with shonen action. So I guess it's going to be like Big-Ass Spider meets nen battles?

18. PapaGreg

More like weird monsters meets nen battles, the Chimera ants could look like anything.
    @Light Lucario Also remind me was the reason why you didn't like the ghouls or lack any sympathy for the ghouls from Tokyo Ghoul was because they ate people correct?

19. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

That's kind of how I feel about the series too. I can be kind of bored with one episode, but then the next episode gets me excited. I think I felt that way more so with York New and Greed Island more so than with the first couple of arcs in the series, but it does seem to be a bit uneven. Maybe the series would flow a bit better if I binged watched it. The pacing isn't nearly as bad as other Shonen series. It still works as a weekly series while a show like One Piece can't really due to moving a snail's pace. I'll still watch it as it airs on the block, but the thought came to mind that it could flow a bit better watching it at my own pace.

I think it was mainly because of how most of the ghouls were jerks and/or complete monsters. There were only a couple that actually showed some amount of likable qualities. Eating people made their world kind of terrifying in that anyone could be secretly a ghoul and eating suicide victims didn't make it less horrifying, but I don't think that prevented me from liking most of the ghouls or finding them sympathetic. It was how they were presented along with the show trying to go both ways with making ghouls complete monsters and attempt to make them sympathetic at the same time that bothered me. This does make me wonder more about the events of this upcoming arc though.

20. PicardMan

PicardMan Member

I remember that koala guy from a bumper. I guess he's a chimera ant? I guess we are going to see battles against evil furries? The bumpers and promos are sure getting me curious (and the hype of this arc. Just a about 24 hours until Toonami starts and a few more until the US TV premiere of the Chimera Ant Arc.