C&C - Hunter x Hunter - "Evil × And × Terrible" [1/20]

Discussion in 'The Adult Swim/Toonami Forum' started by veemonjosh, Jan 20, 2018.

1. veemonjosh

veemonjosh Get back, Jojo

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Opening theme: "Departure!" by Masatoshi Ono [VERSION 5]
    Ending theme: "Nagareboshi Kirari" by Yuzu
    Characters
    [​IMG]
    Gon Freecss
    Voiced by: Erica Mendez
    Gon is a young energetic boy from Whale Island who has become a Hunter to venture the world and find his father, Ging. His latest adventure has brought him to Kite, one of his father’s old students, and now he and Killua are about to embark on the most dangerous adventure of their lives. Gon is an enhancement-type Nen user, able to unleash a destructive amount of Nen from his fists.

[​IMG]
    Killua Zoldyck
    Voiced by: Christina Vee
    Killua is the youngest son of the Zoldycks, a family of assassins known the world over. After meeting Gon, the two quickly became best friends and he’s been tagging along with him ever since, which has led him to join his friend in following Kite. Killua is a transmutation-type Nen user, able to absorb and control electricity.

[​IMG]
    Kite
    Voiced by: Christopher Corey Smith
    A Contract Hunter who studied under Gon’s father Ging. He is the leader of a group of Hunters who are in the midst of an investigation concerning a dangerous species of insects known as the Chimera Ants. Kite is a conjurer-type Nen user, which allows him to summon a slot machine that randomly selects a weapon for him.

The Kakin Exploration Team:
    [​IMG]
    (From Left to Right)
    Stick Dinner - Voiced by: Greg Chun
    Spinner Clow - Voiced by: Laura Stahl
    Podungo Lapoy - Voiced by: Reba Buhr
    Monta Yuras - Voiced by: Bill Rogers
    Lin Koshi - Voiced by: CJ Williams
    Banana Kavaro - Voiced by: Skyler Davenport
    A group of amateur Contract Hunters who have worked with Kite for three years under the employment of the government of Kakin. Their current assignment is to study the potential danger of the Chimera Ants. Due to strict regulations with entering the border of the NGL, a country where technology is illegal, only Stick Dinner and Podungo were able to enter, with the rest waiting outside in a nearby village for them to return.

[​IMG]
    Pokkle
    Voiced by: Bobby Thong
    A Beast Hunter who earned his license during the same Hunter Exam as Gon. He is very self-confident of his abilities, including being able to turn his aura into a bow and arrows. Pokkle is currently leading an expedition group within the NGL.

[​IMG]
    Ponzu
    Voiced by: Reba Buhr
    A participant of the past two Hunter Exams, but was disqualified both times. She has since learned the basics of Nen and teamed up with Pokkle. Her signature style is using chemicals and controlling bees who live in a hive inside her hat.

[​IMG]
    Colt
    Voiced by: Zach Aguilar
    The first offspring of the Queen born from human genes, specifically the genes of a little boy named Kurt. His devotion to the Queen is absolute, and he will do whatever is needed to assist her.

[​IMG]
    Yunju
    Voiced by: Edward Bosco
    Yunju is a centaur-like Chimera Ant, one of the Queen’s squadron leaders.

[​IMG]
    Zazan
    Voiced by: Allegra Clark
    A scorpion-like Chimera Ant, Zazan is one of the Queen’s squadron leaders.

[​IMG]
    Chimera Ant Queen
    Voiced by: Cindy Robinson
    The queen ant, whose sole goal is to find the best genetic material to create the King. For this, she is currently raising an army, and has recently discovered that human flesh tastes best…

[​IMG]
    Gyro
    The mysterious leader of the NGL.

[​IMG]
    Episode 80
    "Evil × And × Terrible"

Chapters adapted: 189-190, 204​
    Last time...
    Having adapted a naming system, the Chimera Ant squadron leaders continued to gain more individuality, choosing to operate by their own means even if it went against the goals of the Queen, including killing humans for sport rather than for her consumption. Nevertheless, their invasion of the NGL continued, as larger settlements were devistated and the NGL’s secret army was overwhelmed.
    Meanwhile, Kite’s group arrived at the NGL border, the latest of ten Hunter groups that had gone into the country to investigate. Due to the strict guidelines for getting into the NGL, including not having any implants, glasses, certain fabrics, or artificial materials, only five members of the group were allowed to enter: Kite, Gon, Killua, Stick Dinner, and Podungo. Kite told the others to wait for them in a nearby village outside the border, and the five entered the country.
    Somewhere inside, Pokkle's group examined the dead body of an NGL solider. Suddenly, they were attacked by three Ant soldiers, but Pokkle was able to take care of them using his ability to shoot Nen arrows. Fleeing, Ponzu tripped and was almost attacked by two Ants, but Pokkle was able to save her. As this was going on, the centaur-like Ant known as Yunju invaded a factory secretly developing the drug D2, a factory that doubles as the headquarters for the NGL's king, Gyro.

This time…
    Yunju leads his attack on the NGL’s leader, while Pokkle and Ponzu continue to fight off Ants led by Zazan. Will Kite’s group be able to make it in time to rescue the young hunters?

Notes:
    • The chapters which this episode covers can be found in volumes 19 and 20 of the manga release.
    • Three Bluray/DVD sets are available now from Viz Media, containing the first 50 episodes.

2. PapaGreg

PapaGreg Drinking my sorrows

Remeber guys #DarkestSeason

3. marklungo

marklungo Greetings from Honneamise

"Tonight on Biography... Gyro!"

4. StorytellerMJ5

StorytellerMJ5 Active Member

I forgot how boring and annoying this part was. There's a whole lot of mediocre in this arc. Too bad we can't just fast forward to the good stuff.

5. Kitschensyngk

Kitschensyngk The kids are all wrong

Do we really need to know about his peeing habits?

"Your father abused you and never cared at all for you, and I'm going to beat you up for it!"

• Like Like x 1
  6. PapaGreg

I actually enjoy this part, we get some worldbuilding to how the NGL was form

7. StorytellerMJ5

It just drags too much about a character I don't care about. Don't really care about the NGL either. But, that's just me.

8. PapaGreg

It only lasted for 9 minutes, not really a dragging.

9. marklungo

marklungo Greetings from Honneamise

Whoa! Gyro's backstory was pretty rough (and also very well designed and animated). As the old saying puts it, "Hurt people hurt people."

10. StorytellerMJ5

Eh, 9 minutes too long for me.

11. PapaGreg

I know the human brain lasts 5 seconds after decapitation but this is ridiculous

12. Kitschensyngk

Kitschensyngk The kids are all wrong

The spider guy sounds like Grover.

13. StorytellerMJ5

Such a waste of a once potentially interesting character.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. PapaGreg

You would think me watching this scene numerous of times would dull the pain, but it doesn't

R.I.P Ponzu

15. Radical

Radical The Face of Evil & Epicness!!!!!

Episode 80 was pretty sweet/intense,

Gyro's terrible childhood with a terrible abusive father was interesting, Gyro's awful father's death from Gyro was satisfying though.

Colt and Peggy's conversation learning about the humans getting special abilities was interesting, Colt is the kid brother which I'm glad he's alive while being turned into a Chimera Ant though.

The two poor Hunters' deaths was pretty gruesome/horrifying:ack:, the lesser Chimera Ants horrible hatable bloodthirsty murderous monsters.

Balda the spider Chimera Ant, my favorite Chimera Ant, while horrible/murderous and also entertaining.He sounds like Grover, hehehe.

Poor Pokkle to be captured.

Poor Ponzu's gruesome death, Rest In Peace Ponzu, you'll be missed next to Kikochiyo/Gorobei/Heihachi/Ukyo, Charles & Ray/Norb/Sakuya, Kamina/Nia/Kittan/Jorgun & Balinbow/Lord Genome, and Biscuit/Crank/Ein/Fumitan/Masahiro, my other favorite awesome dead characters:crying:.An awesome interesting supporting female character wasted, dumb writers.

I despised the lesser green Chimera Ant that killed her, I'll be happy when his death comes:mad:.

Poor Gon, Killua, and Kite to find her bloody remains, but nice from Kite that the Chimera Ants and NGL are the worst combination imaginable.

#15 Radical, Jan 21, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  16. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought that this episode was okay. The focus on Gyro's backstory was interesting. I don't know why we couldn't see his design as either a child or as an adult, but maybe they just wanted to keep him mysterious for awhile. His backstory sounded horrible and it was kind of tragic that he was desperate enough to think that his father had some love for him in spite of being an abusive heartless jerk. It did make me wonder how he could have gone from an abused child who killed his father out of rage to founding and leading a country. Since they never showed his face, I guess that his Chimera Ant form will be important.

I really thought that Pokkle and Ponzu would meet up with Gon's group before being attacked. Since Pokkle's attacks couldn't get through to the humanoid Chimera Ant, I assume that all of the Chimera Ants that take after humans are much stronger than those who are even more like animals. He was taken down pretty quickly by that stinger, although it wasn't entirely clear if Pokkle died then or not.

And then there was Ponzu's death. Admittedly, I did accidentally spoil myself to this way back after her appearance in the Hunter Exam arc. I was curious if she'd show up again and looked it up on a Hunter x Hunter wiki page. I was hoping that she'd at least go down fighting, but instead, she was killed off in a really brutal fashion. I know that this arc is dark, but I was really bothered with how needlessly dark/brutal her death was. She only reappeared with dialogue just a couple of episodes ago, so we don't have any emotional attachment to her character. It was done seemingly just for shock value. I'm almost tempted to say her death was pointless. I know that she got her message to Kite and that reaffirmed to the group just how dangerous the situation really was, but did she have to die in order for that to happen? We already knew that the some of the Chimera Ants loved to kill for their own enjoyment, so what narrative purpose does Ponzu's death have in the long run?

As horrifying as it was for the arc to start off with little children being eaten, at least that had a purpose beyond shock value. Colt is one of the more prominent Chimera Ant soldiers and his memories as a human are seemingly starting to resurface due to mentioning his sister's name all of a sudden here and he recognized his mother in a previous episode as well. Not only was Ponzu shot multiple times, she was eaten up to where there was nothing left but a huge stand of blood where her body used to be. She isn't even going to be reborn as a Chimera Ant soldier. Not that would make the decision to kill her off significantly better, but at least there would be probably some point to it.

It also really doesn't help that I think she was robbed of becoming a professional Hunter twice. The second time wasn't quite as bad since Killua was the only one who passed the exam that time around, but the way she lost in the Hunter Exam arc felt like a cheap way to eliminate her, especially when she was just asleep longer than Leorio was and I still am so annoyed that they never addressed that Leorio didn't really earned his license due to his friends helping him. She had a cool power and at the beginning of the series, there was really a need for more prominent female characters. There still is, but at least characters like Melody and Biscuit help in that department. She definitely seemed like she had potential to be an interesting supporting character at least. Instead, she was killed off quickly and easily for seemingly no other reason other than for shock value. It really does feel like a huge waste of potential. They could have just as easily made a brand new character with similar powers if her message to Gon's group was really that necessary and the effects would have been about the same as far as I can tell.

The tone of this arc so far doesn't come off as the trying too hard to be edgy and gritty kind of darkness like Tokyo Ghoul and Akame ga Kill had. But this was the first death scene that made me think that they wanted to be dark for the shake of being dark, or at least see how far they can go with the bleak tone. While that might not be as bad as the edgy route, it still could pose to be a problem, especially this does happen again with any other future deaths in this arc. Having a dark tone isn't necessarily a bad thing, but if it's just done for the shake of being dark, then that can come off as needlessly dark. Overall, it was an okay episode.

17. PicardMan

PicardMan Member

To be fair, the character death for shock value thing happened a lot in York New. I cannot comment on how good or bad the NGL plotline is because I'm not sure where it's headed. It looks like the chimera ant version of Gyro is going to be an important character. Interested to see him. Still shocked that HunterXHunter hasn't had a TV-MA episode yet. I guess this episode was one fluid once of blood away from a TV-MA. How many fluid ounces merits an MA, this episode seemed to have about a liter?

18. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

That's a good point that character death for shock value isn't a new thing for the series. I think it just bothered me more here because they went out of their way to bring back a minor character from the first arc seemingly just to kill her off in a needlessly brutal fashion. At least the characters they killed off during the York New arc were introduced in that same arc and the Spider's cruelty/strengths weren't as established as the Chimera Ants were by this point. We've already seen the Chimera Ants kill humans for their own pleasure. This just makes me wonder why they bothered to bring Ponzu back if she was just going to die two episodes after being re-introduced.

19. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

I guarantee that ten years ago, this episode would have been a TV-MA, but AS allows more content in a TV-14 now.

20. PicardMan

PicardMan Member

I noticed the change of standards. No more censored S bombs. F and C bombs, genitalia, and nipples are all that's censored. Adult Swim used to have extreme violence disclaimers before particularly violent anime episodes but those disappeared. I think Fullmetal Alchemist and Eureka 7 had those before a few episodes. Anyone notice how those warnings never appear, even for shows as violent as Hellsing Ultimate (the most violent show in Toonami history)?