Ratings
The Grid

Opening theme: "Departure!" by Masatoshi Ono [VERSION 5]
Ending theme: "Hyōri Ittai" by Yuzu [VERSION 1]​

Episode 110
"Confusion × and × Expectation"
Chapters adapted: 261-262

This time:
The King becomes reclusive as the sorting draws near.

Notes:
  • The chapters which this episode covers can be found in volume 25 of the manga release.
  • Episodes 1-75 are currently available across four Bluray/DVD sets from Viz Media.
  • The first movie, “Hunter × Hunter: Phantom Rouge”, is now available on Bluray and DVD.

Gold Guy

Ride On
Staff member
Dec 14, 2008
Ratings
2,652 6
New York City
For those of you who felt the wolf ant was a minor character, his role becomes much larger starting now.

I'm not sure I'd call the episode particularly dirty, despite the TV-14-SD rating, but it's a bit surreal to see sex even alluded to here. Many fans always joke that sex doesn't exist in Shonen Jump manga. :p

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
Ratings
In a Dream World
I thought that this episode was okay. It was primarily more setup for the big confrontation, although I was hoping that was done with after the previous episode. This is a big event, so it makes sense that they'd take all the time they needed to be ready for the fight, but I've been eager to see the main cast confront the Chimera Ants after all of this buildup. Plus, the length of the arc might be getting to me, or I'm just reminded of how the York New arc was in constant setup mode too. Granted, stuff still happens in this arc, but that issue still came to mind.

I was surprised that they didn't find any trace of Knov's entering the castle for about a week. It seemed like the wolf Chimera Ant is planning on trying to find out more about what happened and just made up the bomb scare so that if he turned out to be wrong, he could just blame the human. Although, the fact that Palm is still missing does make me wonder what happened to her, especially when they brought up the possibility of the King trying to make babies. We know that hasn't happened with Palm or the other women, but that does make me more concerned as to what could happen with Komugi. Meruem is becoming more attached to her, so I wonder if they're building up to something like that with their games.

Overall, it was an okay episode. Hopefully we'll start to see the big confrontations sooner rather than later.

PicardMan

Nov 9, 2016
Ratings
210 5
The pacing in this show is rather frustrating considering how many dull talky sections there seem to be (Trick Tower back in the Hunter Exam, large swaths of York New City, long training sessions in Greed Island, and now this). Still, it seems like we'll actually have payoff compared to York New City leading up to a big, disappointing ending. Still, there are lots of great characters and moments. It's sad to see this show get punished for its slow pacing by being behind Black Clover. This show is frustrating at times, but it can soar. Black Clover has just been a miserable experience from start to finish. I've kept an open mind but I just can't enjoy it. Even with the waiting, the worst HunterXHunter fights are usually on par with the best Black Clover fights. That says a lot, in my opinion, and a few notable fights (Gon vs Hisoka, Kurapika vs Uvogin) easily blow anything in Black Clover out of the water. Just came here to vent about the time slot change.

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
Ratings
In a Dream World
The pacing in this show is rather frustrating considering how many dull talky sections there seem to be (Trick Tower back in the Hunter Exam, large swaths of York New City, long training sessions in Greed Island, and now this). Still, it seems like we'll actually have payoff compared to York New City leading up to a big, disappointing ending.
I didn't think that the York New City's ending was that disappointing. It felt like it was still in setup mode, to the point where I was genuinely shocked that we were at the second to last episode, but all things considered, I thought that the ending worked. They spent way too much time on the auction when none of the information on how to find rare items mattered or factored into how they got to Greed Island.

PicardMan said:
Still, there are lots of great characters and moments. It's sad to see this show get punished for its slow pacing by being behind Black Clover. This show is frustrating at times, but it can soar. Black Clover has just been a miserable experience from start to finish. I've kept an open mind but I just can't enjoy it. Even with the waiting, the worst HunterXHunter fights are usually on par with the best Black Clover fights. That says a lot, in my opinion, and a few notable fights (Gon vs Hisoka, Kurapika vs Uvogin) easily blow anything in Black Clover out of the water. Just came here to vent about the time slot change.
I definitely understand. While Hunter x Hunter can be too slow, it takes its sweet time with the setup and I have some issues with this arc in particular, it is pretty engaging. There is usually some solid payoff to that buildup with good characters and fights. Black Clover has had some nice moments here and there, but it is basically Shonen tropes: the series. It is bland and safe shonen anime. That isn't necessarily bad, but it just does nothing to stand out in a good or bad way. I thought that some of the arcs were tolerable, but the current arc has made me hate Black Clover as a whole. It might work better for someone's first shonen series, but when you can find other series that handle these kind of concepts in a much more interesting fashion, such as Hunter x Hunter, it makes it hard to really see much appeal in a series like Black Clover.