C&C - Black Clover - "Those Who Protect" [2/17]

• We have upgraded to Xenforo 2. We've decided to open the forums back up while we configure the theme and plugins. Thanks for your patience.

Latest News

Nobodyman

Sep 11, 2009
Ratings
1,142 3
U.S.A.

Previously on Black Clover:

As Asta, Noelle, and Magna arrive at Sosshi Village, it can be seen that the village has been shrouded by mist made of magic. Magna then tells Asta to cut it with his sword only to reveal that someone has taken the villagers as hostages. Luckily, Magna manages to destroy the icicles that are about to strike the helpless villagers. As they find out that the man whom won a bet against Yami is dead, the perpetrator, Heath Grice, attacks them. However, his attack is once again neutralized by Asta as he cut it in half before confronting him for his deeds.

Recognizing their affiliation with the Magic Knights, Heath decides that the Black Bull members and the rest of the villagers need to be eliminated before they can continue their main objective. Asta begins his assault while trying to find out the reason behind Heath's actions. The man simply says that all people that belong in the Forsaken region of the Kingdom are just brutes and a waste of his time, which triggers a memory from Asta's past. Remembering the past, Asta puts out his resolve on protecting the villagers.

Heath and his group manage to keep Asta and Magna occupied with their combined magic. Noelle tries to take a chance by attacking Heath, but she misses due to her lack of accuracy. The thought of escaping crosses Noelle's mind after her failure, but she manages to regain her spirit after a young girl pleads for her protection. She manages to trigger her grimoire to activate a new magic spell that is able to protect all of them from Heath and his group's assault.

Tonight: Asta, Noelle, and Magna are doing their best to protect the villagers of Sosshi from the ice magic user Heath and his underlings, but Asta’s attacks don’t seem to be working, and Magna’s magical powers are running low.

Nobodyman

Sep 11, 2009
Ratings
1,142 3
U.S.A.
Previously on Black Clover: Ice ice baby, too cold

Sorry Heath. Looks like you're on thin ice.

...Hey, I have to make up for not making any ice puns last week.

He's cold as ice. He's willing to sacrifice this village.

Nobodyman

Sep 11, 2009
Ratings
1,142 3
U.S.A.
It's like a duel between Snow Miser and Heat Miser.

Yes, fire. Well known for its ability to restrain people.

"He's such a loud, obnoxious, idiotic, juvenile, naive, moronic, ne'er-do-well......I am SO hot for him!"

Kitschensyngk

The kids are all wrong
Sep 3, 2006
Ratings
2,468 1
Kansas
nachosconcarne.cartoonsdammit.com
I was at a Jayhawk basketball game this evening. I've already had enough shouting.

Speaking of mythical birds...

"The end times are upon us."
Don't tell me they greenlit a third season of Sword Art Online.

They can infect themselves with the Apocalypse Virus, apparently.

Yeah, if an irritating magically-impaired little runt like Asta can become one, surely there's hope for you too.

Last edited:

Radical

The Face of Evil & Epicness!!!!!
Nov 7, 2004
Ratings
258 1
Lacey,Washington
Episode 10 was pretty sweet,

Nice of Noelle using her cool water magic powers providing help for Asta/Magna.

Asta/Magna vs. Heath was pretty intense.

Cool with Asta still fighting back/getting stronger, when protagonists gets pulverized in battle, they be invincible to still fight back and crush the stronger enemies, love it.

Noelle falling in love with Asta was great/funny, hahahaha, she bees a love interest like most tsundere witchy female characters that love the boy protagonists despite bullying them, hehehe:p.

Heath and his goons' satisfying defeats, go Asta, Magna, and Noelle:D.

Heath's suicidal death to not give information, very clever.

Sweet that the poor villagers are saved by Asta, Magna, and Noelle, nice that Asta finally gets respect though after his buttmonkey days.

Sweet from Asta, Magna, and Noelle paying their respects to Seyhe.

The young boy to want to be a Magic Knight was pretty sweet.

The Anti-Bird attacking Asta was great funny comedy, hahahahaha:p.

The new mysterious main villain of the Diamond Kingdom at the end is interesting for their diabolical plan.

Last edited:

PicardMan

Nov 9, 2016
Ratings
190 5
This was a fairly entertaining yet cheesy episode. Asta's big sword must be pretty dull if it didn't slice generic villain guy into pieces. It's also funny how Asta has to yell out "I'm not done with you yet" when he seemed down for the count. Why can't shonen characters be silent and do a successful sneak attack? It took a while to set up the braindead fun action scenes that the fans seem to really like. Hope there aren't too many generic slice of life episodes after this (apparently a lot of those moments were added to pad the anime).

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
Ratings
In a Dream World
I thought that this episode was pretty good. The action was pretty decent and there was a nice bit of tension with Asta's group being so outmatched. While Noelle still had a bit too much of her high and mighty royal attitude going on for my tastes in spots, it was still less than usual and it helped that we did know that she wanted to help the others. Even her internal happiness over controlling her magic power made up for her stuck up remark when Magna realized what happened.

It was also a nice moment just to show that she could control her magic power. I would hope that this doesn't mean she doesn't have any problem with controlling her magic at all now, but it worked as a good first step towards being able to control her magic. She was able to control it long enough to help protect one of her friends instead of using it as a weapon, which I think was a nice touch. While it wasn't unexpected, Noelle already showing signs of developing a crush on Asta was kind of odd, mainly for the timing. They do have potential to become good friends based on their chemistry and interactions thus far, so depending on how their relationship progresses, I could see a romance working, or at least being more believable from Noelle's perspective.

Asta was able to do some damage on his own, which was impressive given how strong his opponent was, but I really liked that he didn't just save the day all on his own. Given he's the main character and he basically has an anti-magic sword, I thought that he'd be able to defeat the villain all by himself. There was a good sense of teamwork with taking down the villain. Noelle was able to act as their defense for the villagers, as well as Magna, which is still important, Magna was able to give Asta a hint about his plan with the whole baptism line and Asta was able to hit the flame magic back at the villain. It all came down to the main trio working together and I think it was done pretty effectively.

I wasn't expecting the villains to basically kill themselves rather than risk exposing their plan. That was a bit darker than I expected for this show. The funeral scene for Seyhe was nice. While it was still the basic follow your dream message, there was still some nice sincerity behind it and the idea of Seyhe regretting that he never fulfilled his dream only to be happy that Magna could become a Magic Knight instead was touching. Asta getting annoyed at the anti-magic bird was an odd way to go into a comedy bit, but I liked how he was trying to get the stone back because he knew it was something important for Seyhe's grandson. He can be annoying, but moments like that where it shows that Asta cares about people makes him more endearing than I expected. We have the mysterious organization for the series or arc introduced already. They want to eliminate weak magic users and need the stone for some reason, but it could be interesting to see more of their plan unfold. Overall, it was a pretty good episode.

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
Mar 8, 2008
Ratings
1,294 4
Los Angeles, CA
www.411mania.com
This was a fairly entertaining yet cheesy episode. Asta's big sword must be pretty dull if it didn't slice generic villain guy into pieces. It's also funny how Asta has to yell out "I'm not done with you yet" when he seemed down for the count. Why can't shonen characters be silent and do a successful sneak attack? It took a while to set up the braindead fun action scenes that the fans seem to really like. Hope there aren't too many generic slice of life episodes after this (apparently a lot of those moments were added to pad the anime).
Asta is a dumb meathead who has more muscles than he does brains. He likes to attack head on. It seems like his anti-magic sword was built more to deflect and cut through magic attacks rather than cutting people. It sort of has blunt dull edges since it doesn't really cut people in his fights.

PicardMan

Nov 9, 2016
Ratings
190 5
Asta is a dumb meathead who has more muscles than he does brains. He likes to attack head on. It seems like his anti-magic sword was built more to deflect and cut through magic attacks rather than cutting people. It sort of has blunt dull edges since it doesn't really cut people in his fights.
Yeah, his sword was probably designed to be blunt. Asta being unsubtle has always been his weakness in battle, as most shonen protagonists seem to be charge and yell without a plan characters (Gon seems to be a weird exception as he's a little kid, yet he seems methodical in his attacks.)

Today's episode was a little more violent and bloody than normal. If it were to be on a kids' station, it would need editing. Of course, non-toyetic anime on kids' TV is pretty much dead.

PapaGreg

Drinking my sorrows
Nov 1, 2013
Ratings
1,327 7
Yeah, his sword was probably designed to be blunt. Asta being unsubtle has always been his weakness in battle, as most shonen protagonists seem to be charge and yell without a plan characters (Gon seems to be a weird exception as he's a little kid, yet he seems methodical in his attacks.)

Today's episode was a little more violent and bloody than normal. If it were to be on a kids' station, it would need editing. Of course, non-toyetic anime on kids' TV is pretty much dead.
You can also add Deku, Light, and Senku

JTurner954

Paradigm City, USA
Jan 4, 2002
Ratings
Florida
Visit site
This episode was fun to watch based on the puns alone. Some of my favorite lines:

Heath: "but, oh ... the prICE you will pay"

Magna: "That's not gonna happen, Frosty"

Asta: "Get ready to sweat" he tells a child as he's standing in front of the sun.

He said "Wizard King!" Everybody drink!
Three sips it is. This is the first episode not to mention "Wizard King" in the recap.

Alright, obligatory Follow Your Dreams speech. Not listening.
Oh crap, are they stealing from Pilot Candidate now? Because if they start singing for absolutely no reason at all, I'm done.

Not a bad episode. The villainous tease at the end could be interesting.