C&C - Black Clover - "The Other New Recruit" [1/27]

Discussion in 'The Adult Swim/Toonami Forum' started by Nobodyman, Jan 27, 2018.

1. PicardMan

PicardMan Member

Is Noel Weiss from RWBY? Okay, I give the shonen tropes a hard time a lot of times, but the saccharine power of friendship moments actually have a warm place in my heart. Them all accepting Noel is quite cute. Still, wouldn't be surprised if she gets shafted like many shonen females. Her lack of control doesn't make it seem like she'll be this series's Erza but more like a Sakura. This episode was more guilty pleasure than expected, but I wouldn't be surprised if I become angry at it again. A lot of anime watching seems like a sadomasochistic relationship.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I actually thought that this episode was pretty good. While I had a hard time focusing on the other Black Bull members in the previous episodes due to a couple of the gag characters, focusing primarily on Asta getting a tour with Magna helped to flesh him out more and was a general improvement. He seemed like a pretty friendly person. He was clearly having fun with Asta during the tour, especially feeding the magical beasts, but it also seemed like he genuinely wanted to take him under his wing. Characters developing a genuine sense of friendship is always a good thing in my book and Asta seemed to hit it off with Magna pretty nicely.

Plus, reminding Asta to write home to his family to let them know how he was doing was a nice moment. Even Asta being happy to have his own room was kind of nice. Despite being all dirty and dusty, having his own room when he had so little at the church would be empowering to him. It was still kind of weird that everyone was so sure he did fail the exam before reading the letter, but it fits with how everyone has high hopes for Yuno while little to none for Asta.

The humor was actually pretty funny this time around. Maybe it was just how fast pace the gags were during the tour, but there were a couple of times where I genuinely laughed. The building moving around does sound like an interesting way to keep their setting a bit different, but I don't know how far they'll go with that concept. Noelle did leave a worst first impression. That was probably the point considering how angry she was to be in the Black Bulls and her backstory did help to make her more sympathetic, but demanding to be treated like royalty like that definitely made her come off a bit too much of a jerk for my tastes.

I did feel worse for Noelle once we learned her backstory. She was mocked seemingly her entire life for not being able to control her magic powers. Bullying from just that would have been pretty painful for a child, but even her older brother asked why couldn't she have died instead of their mother. I assume that meant that their mother died after giving birth to Noelle. That was incredibly cold and she probably heard that from her family multiple times. She couldn't even handle Asta walking up to her because she was so sure that he was going to bully her too. She did create a pretty huge water bubble that put her and the other members in danger. While it was obvious that Asta's sword would cut through the magic and save the day, it was still pretty funny to see Yami throw Asta in the air like that.

Noelle was so expected to being mocked for her situation that she wasn't prepared for everyone wanting to help her or Asta to admire her power. Because she is from a royal family, I guess that they would just expect her to naturally have control over her powers, so the idea of helping her never crossed anyone's mind. Everyone offering to help Noelle was a genuinely touching moment. I have a soft spot for good sincere friendship moments and this worked quite nicely. Plus, a person dealing with years of bullying only to be accepted by a group of unexpected friends is kind of heartwarming in of itself.

Overall, it was a pretty good episode. It's almost kind of funny that this episode came right after one where the thought of dropping the series first came to mind for me. I'm sure that I'll still have problems with the series and it might be more of a roller coaster based on what I've heard, but if more of the series had genuinely touching/funny moments like this, I'd at least enjoy it more. Despite the bad first impression, it was a good introduction for Noelle. Although, it does make the shot of her in the opening even worse considering that they're using her emotional conflict as a chance for more fanservice.

• Like Like x 1
  3. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

Noel is haughty and stuck-up, but she's perfect for the Black Bulls because she's the black sheep of her family and seen as the worst of the worst as well. Being in the Black Bulls will be good for her. Also, she did at least warm up to Asta by the end.

Of the Black Bulls, Charmy is probably my favorite character. She has some of the funniest and most cheer-worthy moments. All I will say is this. Don't underestimate Charmy.

FYI, Charmy's personality is based off the wife of the Black Clover's creator, Yuki Tabata. I find that very amusing for some reason. In terms of Black Clover, Charmy is definitely best girl :)

4. Kitschensyngk

Kitschensyngk The kids are all wrong

Charmy's the girl who likes sweets, right? Not the lady who's always drunk and wears a bikini everywhere for no reason?

5. TheVileOne

Reporter

Yes, Charmy is the glutton. Vanessa is the drunkard who is always lazing about in her skivvies. It's not for no reason. Vanessa just has very little in the way of inhibitions. When we first see her, the last thing she remembers was getting into a drinking contest with some guys, so at some point she stripped most of her clothes off and ended up passed out on the HQ's couch.

6. JTurner954

JTurner954 Paradigm City, USA

"Wizard King" count : 2
    Piccolo dump count: 2
    Episode grade: 2 out of 3

To this day, it amuses me to see anime characters with glasses adjust them using their middle finger. I want this trend to continue and the screaming trend (which didn't seem so bad this time) discontinue.

And why was "Marilyn Manson" mumbling?

7. TheVileOne

Reporter

Gauche mumbles because he's a mumbler.