"Bunnicula" News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Cartoon Network/Boomerang Cartoon Forum' started by MDawg, Jun 29, 2015.

1. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

Announced as part of WB's new development deal with Boomerang, the classic children's book series, Bunnicula, will be rising from the dead soon. No firm release date yet.
    [​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Yippee Coyote

Yippee Coyote Graphic Novelist

• Like Like x 1
    #2 Yippee Coyote, Jun 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
  3. DeanBurrito25

DeanBurrito25 Well-Known Member

Juding by the style of that image I assume Jessica Borutski has found more work since Wabbit and The Looney Tunes Show?

4. Jazz1000

Jazz1000 Evil PLANS...

this seems interesting, i'll keep an eye on it

5. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

Yep, that's her! They also got Maxwell Atoms on board, too. It's a perfect combination for this type of adaptation.

6. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Man, it's been years since I've last heard of Bunnicula. I hope it's good.
    It's also cool that aside from Mike Tyson Mysteries this is WB Animation's first cartoon not to be based on a property they already own in what feels like years. Since Xiaolin Showdown, I believe.

7. DHB8008

DHB8008 Active Member

Well WB made the Mad show for CN, which wasn't one of their properties.

There was also Coconut Fred and WB did season 1 of Johnny Test.

#7 DHB8008, Jun 30, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  8. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

MAD Magazine is owned by Time Warner, so yes, it is.

9. Checkerboard

Checkerboard THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS

Sounds interesting. Could be the new Little Dracula:

10. Yippee Coyote

I have a feeling the new series will more or less be a modern take on the Ruby-Spears animated special from 1982. That's probably how WBA received the rights to produce this adaption, with the acquisition of the RS production library. I noticed in the original press release, they add that the new show is based off of the book, but not the book series.
    The 1982 special was released the same year the book's first sequel came out. It would make sense.

#10 Yippee Coyote, Jun 30, 2015
  11. Gatordragon

Gatordragon Don't blink, you'll miss it.

Whoa, talk about unexpected. I remember reading the original novel back in elementary school. Unlike the cartoon, the book made it ambiguous whether or not Bunnicula was really a vampire. I wonder if the book's main characters, Harold the dog and Chester the cat, are going to appear.

12. Yippee Coyote

I was thinking about that as well. If they focus on Bunnicula himself, it might end up like Wabbit with some Halloween theming, but if Borutski worked on both shows hopefully there will be some diversity between the two. Chester and Harold will probably appear (with their significance in each episode to be determined), and I cannot wait to see how they'll look in Jessica's art style.

I assume there will be some other publicity photos (there always is in WBA's case) with such a short time before the debut, but Turner's Pressroom has been down for weeks, so I dunno.

#12 Yippee Coyote, Jun 30, 2015
  13. DHB8008

DHB8008 Active Member

I'm probably going to read the books now! :p

14. ILuvToons

ILuvToons Yellow Pearl got sass!

Cool! I remember reading the book a bit in elementary school. The problem is it's airing exclusively on Boomerang, meaning not everyone will be able to see it. Oh well, we'll wait and see. Might be worth the watch.

15. GC13

GC13 What would Doyle do?

Clicked this all excited, saw a rabbit that seems far too peppy to be my Bunnicula, not excited anymore. I'll bet they're going to make him the main character too. :-(
    </sourpuss>

16. Yippee Coyote

Found this interesting tidbit on Twitter. James Howe, who wrote the Bunnicula series, announced at the "Teachers College Reading Institute" yesterday that Bunnicula would air next year on Cartoon Network. Looks like someone didn't give him the facts straight, as neither the date nor network is correct. That is, unless it goes to CN after it finishes its run on Boomerang, but that wouldn't seem logical. Or, he could have received this information not long after Bunnicula was greenlit by WBA and they were convinced at the time that it would be airing on CN. It seems rather confusing to me.

https://twitter.com/clemenkat/status/616688144352677889
    https://twitter.com/franmcveigh/status/616688103944798209

EDIT: I found an article written by Fran McVeigh, who wrote the second linked tweet.
    https://franmcveigh.wordpress.com/2015/07/03/tcrwp-day-4-reading-institute-2015/

#16 Yippee Coyote, Jul 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
  17. SurlyGuy

SurlyGuy New Member

You don't have to worry. This is going to be a great show. Bunnicula is cute, yes, but the show is NOT saccharine. It's pretty dark in places. I'm not allowed to give much away but I can tell you it's a spooky fun show in the style of Beetlejuice or Tales from the Crypt (That's my own interpretation anyway) It's very atmospheric, and the art style is incredible. After years of what I can only describe as "ugly-mation" on CN, this is probably the closest style to the original Warner Bros animation style. Or perhaps it just stands out that way because of ugly shows like Superjail! or Aqua Teen or any of that Adult Swim drek devoid of appealing character design. (Again, my opinion, no one has to agree) And from what I've seen of the animation, it's also a step up in quality. For fans of the books, I can tell you right now, there are differences, but nothing too drastic or out of character. To give away much more would be very naughty of me, so I'll just end by saying that of all the shows I've ever worked on, this one is the most fun.

Oh and yes, Chester and Harold are in fact the other two main characters.

• Informative Informative x 1
    #17 SurlyGuy, Jul 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
  18. GC13

GC13 What would Doyle do?

I suppose there's nothing for me to do but wait and see.

Normally I identify most with Pearl from Steven Universe, but this is striking a nostalgic chord with me and I have to get my Connie on: "I just hope it stays faithful to the book."

She said that about a movie called "Dogcopter 3D", so it fits quite well. :p

19. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

Urgh, I sure hope not. Little Dracula was just too darn silly, and not in a good way, even though if featured the awesomeness of Joe Flaherty and Jonathan Winters among the voice talent.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. SurlyGuy

SurlyGuy New Member

I agree. That Little Dracula stuff smacks of everything wrong with animation,well, 90's animation or whenever that was made. The voice talent in Bunnicula is great. They match character personalities perfectly.

• Like Like x 1