Building Up Nicktoons

Discussion in 'The Nicktoons Forum' started by Cartoon Ruler, Feb 4, 2018.

1. Cartoon Ruler

Cartoon Ruler Senior Member

The Nicktoons channel has recently removed a lot of live-action from its schedule (not all though; roadblack premiers and NickSports reruns will still continue, sadly). While that is one step up, there are still other problems Nicktoons needs to work on. Re-airing older cartoons from Nick is fine and all, but the channel definitely needs to go back to the Nicktoons Network routine (not specifically renaming it, but having the same strategy) if it's going to be stick around longer. It should have its own exclusive content again, not be a channel for Nick's hand-me-downs. Here's are my suggestions on how Nicktoons can improve:

-Cartoons that are produced for Nick should not be rerunning on Nicktoons until their first runs are completed. This includes The Loud House, Welcome to the Wayne, Pinky Malinky, The Adventures of Kid Danger and Rise of the TMNT.
    -The only Nick cartoon that can rerun on Nicktoons is SpongeBob, since it's been very popular for the last two decades and has an established franchise. I'm thinking Nick should exclusively air the newer seasons while Nicktoons does the same to the older seasons, that way the show will have two seperate runs and it wouldn't be so overplayed on both networks. It's easily a win-win.
    -Have new original content again, or at the very least, acquire more cartoons.
    -Have Nick promote the channel again. Ttreat it like new viewers would really want to have it. That way, the channel can make more profit.
    -We all live in an era where streaming is popular, so why not give Nicktoons its own app (and a new seperate website again)?

That's all I've got so far. What are your suggestions about Nicktoons?

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. Zeether

Zeether HASSHA!!

Take NickSplat off Teenick and make it a part of Nicktoons during the late night hours.

3. Looney Turtles

Looney Turtles Active Member

I would love to see Nicktoons with its own app. They could also include shows that formerly aired on the channel, but no longer do.

4. Spirit49

Spirit49 Member

They should make nicktoons a channel with no new episodes, It is just a showcase of the amazing nicktoons over the decades, the show has to have premiered before 2010 to be featured. Also make a block of episodes on it where they basically air newer shows to boost the ratings. Nicktoons probably won't do this and then the ratings will continue to decline since it airs unpopular shows. Eventually I think the channel will just die.

5. ToonsJazzLover

ToonsJazzLover Active Member

What you all said. The Nicktoons Death Treatment needs to stop, I can see The Splat working as a block for Nicktoons channel itself, etc.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. jjc927

jjc927 Member

In a perfect world it would be awesome if they could reacquire rights for more of the classic Nicktoons and put them on the Nicktoons channel and put the classic live action shows on TeenNick rather than having NickSplat.

7. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

The first thing that they'd need to do is to not treat Nicktoons as a dumping grounds for their failed shows and shows that they don't want. The channel has been on autopilot for years and that is a prime reason why. They basically treat the channel like an afterthought at best. They need to promote it on Nickelodeon. That could help to get more people interested in getting the channel.

Instead of making Nicktoons primarily reruns, they need to have more exclusive content for the channel. They could start with third party shows, but that would require treating those shows better as well. They could create shows that are exclusive to Nicktoons and give those shows good timeslots and promotion on their various channels.

I disagree that the Splat could be on Nicktoons. It's a nostalgia block aimed primarily at an older audience familiar with 90's and early 2000's Nicktoons. Teen Nick is a good fit for it. Not to mention Nicktoons already has enough reruns and including a rerun block wouldn't really help it, especially if it's the same Splat lineup that we've had for awhile.

Basically, they just need to do what Disney Channel has done with Disney XD. Disney XD isn't perfect, but it's the prime example of how to handle a secondary channel well. There's plenty of exclusive content on the channel, they promote their shows on Disney Channel proper as well as on Disney XD and they promote their website on the channel too. Nickelodeon just has to treat Nicktoons like they actually want people to watch it instead of using it for reruns and airing series that they don't care about.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. jjc927

jjc927 Member

Nicktoons Network's purpose is a dumping ground and it's been this way for the past several years. That's not likely to change. It's a better option than just not airing the shows at all or cancelling shows without airing all the episodes which would be a waste of money. XD has more of its own content rather than only being a dumping ground because Disney has more money and resources.

9. Cartoon Ruler

Cartoon Ruler Senior Member

Once upon a time, Nicktoons did had its own identity when it started airing exclusive content (both acquired and original).

Also very small nitpick, but why do people still call the channel Nicktoons Network? It was renamed as just Nicktoons way back in 2009.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. ToonJay723

ToonJay723 Nicktoons Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Calling it simply Nicktoons can be confusing since it's hard to tell if you're talking about Nickelodeon's cartoons or the TV channel.

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

In Swedish perhaps, but English has got verb forms. Nicktoons is, Nicktoons are. Besides, there's always context.

12. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Considering how Nicktoons isn't widely available compared to Nickelodeon, I don't know if it's that much of a better option. It often took years for them to air some of their own original series on the channel. At this point, they'd be better off just uploading remaining episodes online instead of putting them on Nicktoons. At least more people could legally watch shows on their website.

Nickelodeon isn't making Disney levels of money, but they aren't struggling either. I think that they could afford to try to do something different with the channel. It's more likely that they just don't want to when there's no incentive to do so. It's the same reason why Teen Nick and the Splat block have been on autopilot for quite some time.

13. jjc927

jjc927 Member

Yes I know. It was commercial free once also. Those days are long over though.

The TV airings are possibly for contractual reasons. Don't forget rights are a factor also in which old programs get aired.

14. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

That's true and that could be a reason why it took years for some of their older shows to air the rest of its episodes. It's still not really the best idea to have a secondary channel primarily just to air shows that they don't want on the main channel though.

15. Asa

Asa Member

I like and agree on this idea. Nicktoons could only play the first eight seasons (episodes 1-178) while Nick should air only seasons 9-current (episodes 179-current), thus giving it two separate runs sounds like something Nickelodeon could do in the future.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Toons Fan

Toons Fan Member

Not showing the older seasons of SpongeBob on main Nickelodeon is a bad idea imo. Since not everyone gets Nicktoons.

And, Nickelodeon used to do that with The Fairly OddParents with only showing the older seasons on Nicktoons back when Nickelodeon still aired the show.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  17. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I miss when Nicktoons aired more than just well...Nicktoons.
    Basically, they need more animated acquired programming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 4
  18. jaylop97

jaylop97 Nickelodeon Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

A problem with that is Nicktoons would have to dedicate a lot of time to air those older reruns and Nick would have to shrink time to air the modern episodes since there really isn't a lot by then to air SpongeBob all that much, and for the most part older SpongeBob is deserving to get some air time as well for more exposure to other episodes of the show over the modern ones specifically.

19. superkeegan9100

superkeegan9100 Well-known user and expert in cartoons

I would love it if this network was more than just a bootleg Disney XD nowadays but I don't think that will ever happen.

20. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I think that calling Nicktoons a bootleg Disney XD is giving the channel more credit than it deserves.

• Agree Agree x 5