Boy and girl colours

Discussion in 'Cafe toonzone' started by SpottyBlue, Feb 12, 2017.

Tags:
  1. SpottyBlue

SpottyBlue Active Member

Hey,

Did you know that:

BLUE
    is BOY colour and
    PINK is GIRL colour ?

2. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

No. No I didn't.

3. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

4. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

:yawn:

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Nobodyman

Nobodyman Well-Known Member

When it comes to "boy and girl" colors, something that's always intrigued me is the yellow ranger from Power Rangers and its source series Zyuranger.

For those who don't know, in Zyuranger, one of the members of the superhero team wears a yellow uniform and is, in fact, male. Whereas with Power Rangers, the American adaptation, the yellow ranger was made to be a female character, despite the fact that "she" doesn't wear a skirt like the pink ranger does.

Now, I don't for sure why this change was made. It could be that the producers just wanted another female on the team to help balance things out. Or it could be that they felt that yellow was a feminine color and, thus, wouldn't want to raise controversy by making a male "yellow" ranger (and instead raised a totally different controversy by making an Asian "yellow" ranger).

So, again, I don't know for sure why the changes was made, but for the sake of argument, let's assume it was the latter. That, of course, raises an interesting observation about the subjectivity of color and how it applies to gender identity. So Japan thought that yellow wasn't too feminine for a boy to wear, but America did? But, of course, America has relented since then and given us, I believe, quite a few male yellow rangers.

Well, whatever you believe, there are still some gender politics going on in Sentai and Power Rangers. I doubt Japan is going to be eager to make a male pink ranger any time soon.

6. defunctzombie

defunctzombie 1992 not 2002
    Staff Member Moderator

I am a woman and I have a blue Fiesta. I've also had a blue PT Cruiser and a blue Sundance. My next car will be blue, and I have no desire to own a pink or red car. The only car I had that wasn't blue was my very first, a silver van that I got because its owner died and they didn't know what to do with it.

This is probably true, but for the record, when I lived in Japan I saw plenty of guys wearing pink shirts. I even saw a few driving pastel "girl colored" cars. (They have much more of a variety than we do here, such as teal, pink, lavender, etc). Given how cute isn't as toxic to masculinity as it is here, it could one day happen. He might be the laughingstock of the group, though...