Boruto Monthly Manga Talkback (Spoilers)

• We have upgraded to Xenforo 2. We've decided to open the forums back up while we configure the theme and plugins. Thanks for your patience.

Latest News

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
May 18, 2006
Ratings
920 1
East Northport
Thoughts on chapter 17.

This is pretty much setting up to be Boruto's take on The Zabuza arc: a C mission having to protect some guy Boruto obviously clashes with based on personality type and believes and this being the first official full mission of the entire team; having some guy before the major fate meet our main hero and form some sort of bond with them. Heck this is even about the Land of Waves and a missing nin from that. Honestly nothing here really exites me. I do like the idea of discussing how important the use of technology is and not just instantly dismissing it as well as Sarada at least understanding why Boruto was hesistant about the mission. Though the whole "I need to protect Sarada" is just sexist BS since if she's aiming to be Hokage and gets it she's the strongest so wouldn't need that protection anyway. Sasuke doesn't serve as Naruto's protector really so Boruto shouldn't assume he'd be Sarada but no because she's a girl it has to be like that and... ugh just screw that kind of BS logic so hard I hate that but that's the most emotion this got out of me as it was kind of a lot of dry talking as probably next time we'll get action and not really much else to say so... that's my thoughts on this chapter then.

PapaGreg

Drinking my sorrows
Nov 1, 2013
Ratings
1,389 7
If there is one thing I don't like about Boruto is the lack of danger, I don't know with early Naruto you get a sense that the characters are vunerable and the world outside could it them whole, here its too safe for my liking.

Neo Ultra Mike

May 18, 2006
Ratings
920 1
East Northport
Quick thoughts on chapter 18.

Honestly not much to say. I do like taking the time to show the positives of this technology and Boruto getting into it and actually liking the guy since him actually bonding with other people is better then him just being a jerk to them and liked that assistant girl but... not really much else to this one really. Do hope since they did show off Sarada a bit here we actually do see more of her and Mitsuki and this isn't just the total Boruto show. I guess this is more balanced in early Naruto since... Sarada just isn't a tree stump useless here but still would like more from her character wise but still good stuff here. Just not again much worth talking about.

Neo Ultra Mike

May 18, 2006
Ratings
920 1
East Northport
Quick thoughts on chapter 19

Ugh when I said I wanted more character wise from Sarada I didn't mean "tease at love triangle BS with her having secret feelings for Boruto while the class president girl being more open with it". That is such lame crap that really makes this series even more then most jump series feel like it is just for little little kids as most other series feel way more past this. There are some good bits as I actually do like Katasuke stepping up with his ninja tech suit to defeat the ninja robot puppets Boruto Sarada and Mitsuki couldn't just offensive blast to death and I am glad this whole search for Konohmaru only took a chapter and we're already getting back to Ao and his fight with the group (glad they spelled out his history as yeah now I remember he was from Naruto but his appearance a few chapters back didn't help as Ao was not really a stand out character even in his debut Shippuden arc) but... that's really it. Not really anything else that interesting or stand out here as kind of just a standard Boruto chapter otherwise.

Neo Ultra Mike

May 18, 2006
Ratings
920 1
East Northport
Quick thoughts on Boruto Chapter 20

You know if we knew or cared anything about Mugito (which I doubt even originally in Naruto he was given a lot to do) his death might of meant something but it really doesn't. Also the opening battle didn't flow as well as others we've seen in this series and honestly felt like Ao and Boruto's team level of skill should of been higher then the little display we got here. I again don't like the just focus on Boruto and honestly though it's a good lesson the "technology isn't bad it's just the people who use them" whole speech he gave felt very... elementary school. And I get that shonen manga is for kids but it usually seems like they're aiming for something smarter in how they give they're messages. Even Naruto was usually better then that but Boruto sort of feels like a Naruto Jr in more ways then one. Still I do hope this leads to at least a battle of everyone using ninja tools against Ao and again not just the Boruto show so... not much of a chapter really but I guess not terrible.

Neo Ultra Mike

May 18, 2006
Ratings
920 1
East Northport
Thoughts on Boruto Chapter 21

Honestly this was a pretty solid action chapter though really seems like they could of wrapped this up if they all decided to attack him together with Taijutsu instead of this super elaborate "let's all try distracting him into draining our Chakra so Boruto can use a lightsaber to try and trick him out" but... yeah this is still the Boruto show so anything that probably makes Boruto look good is held a higher regard. The super simplistic villains though of Kara are still pretty lame and one note in that whole "hey just reminding you that you're a tool" appearance of that guy but again the actual action beats and switching out people were pretty good but again wish it was more teamwork based then "teamwork supporting Boruto" based but again guess they need to shove him the most forward but still decent enough action chapter.

durian

Feb 15, 2018
Ratings
If there is one thing I don't like about Boruto is the lack of danger, I don't know with early Naruto you get a sense that the characters are vunerable and the world outside could it them whole, here its too safe for my liking.
I have to agree with you there. It's like, the kids are stronger than their parents but they haven't seen real battle as we used to know it before.

Neo Ultra Mike

May 18, 2006
Ratings
920 1
East Northport
Chapter 22 of Boruto

In addition to the whole "lack of danger" this series main issue is that it isn't really bothering to use it's side characters as more then just well... tools to emphasize how cool Boruto is. At the very least Sasuke wasn't like that in the original series and sorry the Sarada side series still showed she had more poretnial and likeability as a character then Boruto has. So seeing them constantly be shunned away in this case by the "oh Ao has drone lasers around him that stop them from contributing" feel pretty obnoxious. And honestly I'm kind of getting sick of Boruto and his shadow clone trickery as yeah the first few times it was sort of clever but the "ha I tricked you by letting you think the important one that had the item was actually me but it wasn't" really isn't especially as Naruto used that trick in his fight with Neji except that wasn't even the deciding factor in that fight while it is here. Also the whole "oh I'm showing you mercy and explaining the values of tools and of weaponry" is just pretty meh examples of the talk no jutsu and honestly just showing how little Boruto aside from having less reasons to whine and be a little annoying brat has from his fathers. Seriously isn't the whole point of these sequel series based on other characters about them being DIFFERENT then our leads in how they handle things but this is pretty much a Naruto ending except... lamer. I admit I didn't think we'd get one of the actual Taka guys coming in so quickly to have yet another fight (though who wants to bet our side characters sans Boruto will be side lined AGAIN for this) but it doesn't really redeem Ao at all no matter how much "dying like a ninja" is suppose to mean and though some decent actual impact shots here a pretty bleh chapter overall.

Neo Ultra Mike

May 18, 2006
Ratings
920 1
East Northport
Chapter 23 of Boruto.

Ugh this one just SUCKSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS so hard. Seriously this is like a bunch of manga cliches I hate all jumbled together into one chapter "New villain comes in talking about how even if it's impressive he took care of the other guy he's so much greater and has some sort of familiar ability for some unexplained reason" "everyone but the main character proves utterly useless in combat and have to be up to main lead just not wanting to see someone die saving the day" "oh now that the main lead is tapped out the bad guy decides to not attack anymore despite seemingly wanting to kill all of them and some other side guy has to tell the person wanting to take out the bad guy "oh you can't" and that's seen as the best move" "oh now we're caught back up to the main guy still around" and "new guy with same powers as main guy". Just.... ugh all the ugh for this one. Boruto the manga in stuff like this feels like the writer is just doing what Kishimoto did already but lamer and more aimed at the "everyone ate up everything Naruto did so doing that again is just good right?" without any heart or integrity or interest on it's own and it just pisses me off so much and I just hate this chapter with a burning passion. Like seirously every page just had all this same cookie cutter crap of all the worst tropes I had without adding anything interesting to it and I don't care who this masked guy is he is a moron for not taking or killing Boruto when he had the chance just screw this guy and this crap so much and... yeah again just hate HATE HATEEEEEEEEEEEEEE this one. Seriously stuff this reminds me of how terrible Naruto got at points but now that we've seen how a much better series could of been done with that Scarlet Spring with Sarada this is extra painful because every attempt to try and make Boruto look better just makes him either a rip off of his dad or just more of a brat or more of a gary stu and again just hate hate HATEEEEEEEEEE this one and really hope something actually picks up in this damn story soon.

Neo Ultra Mike

May 18, 2006
Ratings
920 1
East Northport
Chapter 24 of Boruto

You know how I said last time the chapter was just a bunch of lame manga cliches strung together without really doing anything else? Technically though this is at least trying to do a bit more interesting cliches, is essentially the same. We've got the reveal and banter of two more members of the orginization to try and set up future characters and sort of present characters of Delta and Jigen bantering about vague enough things just for the sake of keeping a mystery and seeing one of them head off (BTW why does it seem like the main power of female characters in Naruto is just super strength? I know the Mizukage had unique abilities and I guess so did Kaguya but seriously Tsunade and then Sakura and Sarada and now this Delta chick all seemingly have that but nothing else. Weird) and then having the villains look at what's happening against a throw away mook just to show off the new character while they act in shock of our main hero and trying to give only small snippets of backstory of this Kawaki kid. I admit I do think how he was set up in how his dad sold him off though incredibly quickly and hokey at least sets up a good reason for him to be so bitter but that's really the only saving grace of this one as so much time was set up on our heroes trying to calm this kid down but still talking in the most cliche standard "this must be the vessel" and "this is the true goal of Kara" talk that makes the entire situation just feel so cliche and hokey. Seriously I know stuff like Boruto and say Black Clover have they're fans but at this rate it's clear they are perfectly fine with coasting and not putting in any actual passion or interest into they're stories and just getting by with the bare minimum which isn't any fun to really read or experience and just dulls me to the entire story. I guess this isn't the worst chapter ever certainly as last month annoyed me more but it's still boring and bleh and makes me hope something INTERESTING AND DIFFERENT will happen in this story. Also feels like we're going into extra innings of an arc that should of ended with Ao but is still going on but without much of interest happening during it.

Neo Ultra Mike

May 18, 2006
Ratings
920 1
East Northport
Boruto Chapter 25 is out and here's what I thought of it.

... Okay there are two things I liked in this chapter. I liked Kawaki getting one over on that Garou and goring him through the stomach and blowing him up (I'm guessing that guy has super regeneration and despite half his body blowing up will be back.... *rolls eyes in annoyance*) and I liked the casual way Mitsuki revealed he was a clone to Sarada and Boruto and htem being shocked about that.

The rest of this chapter... sucked. The fight scene wasn't really that interesting or inventive between Garou and Kawaki and yeah I don't really like either character. And honestly the whole symbol powers and robotics though at least attempting to start explaining just feel like "ooh here's this mystery that we are building to but aren't giving you any of the clues just teasing you with them" and without you know much of an interesting story or characters behind it, just teasing something tends to piss off an audience more then adhere you to the premise. Also Kojin is like the worst villain right now in Shonen Jump. He's a "well we could go and kill these guys but let's uh... let them do our work for us even though we would have the information to do it better because uh it will spread and alert our names best. The names that we're trying to hide and still probably could just blow up that blimp and kill these people before they find out but uh no let's just leave." These stupid "ha ha I'm obviously being saved for a later occassion" baddie need a better reason for when they decide to depart. I mean at least when you had Itachi and Kisame first show up after the Chunin exams to tease it was them leaving to search for Naruto and then leaving due to Itachi not wanting to fight Jiraya knowing he couldn't really beat him. But "oh I could take these guys out but won't" without any personality and charm and just gruffness are just lame antagonists and don't really get me invested in this series even if now we may finally be going back to Konoha but even then it's still going to be about Boruto and his connection with Kawaki and... yeah this series still sucks. At Boruto's best it's a bit smarter and more knowing and can connect character wise to make you like it compared to it's previous show but Boruto at it's worst or most generic is even worst then Naruto since at least Naruto had the history behind it or you know was more it's own thing in it's first arc while this is on repeat and not doing anything particularly that good.

Neo Ultra Mike

May 18, 2006
Ratings
920 1
East Northport
Thoughts on Chapter 26 of Boruto that is out now.

Hmmm this may be the best chapter of Boruto since... the end of the last arc honestly. And that's probably because Boruto isn't for once a major focus of what happens. And yeah he does appear in the last part but honestly even that works. I enjoy him getting ticked off and angry at Kawaki for breaking something that Hama made and getting the entitled emo kid to actually come as close as possible to an apology about it. I mean Kawaki is still not very likeable and comes off as an edge lord teenager fanfiction esque character but it's at least a moment for Boruto to act like a good little brother. Since "being nice to his sister" is like one of the kid's few really reedemable characteristics. But you know why this one worked so well? Because the focus of this chapter wasn't on Boruto but rather more on Naruto and... you know between how we saw him in Scarlet Spring and here I just am really digging grown up Naruto. There's a goofy charm to him that reminds you of the original like him outlaying his plan of taking watch over Kawaki to the other Kage and having a shadow double watch while at said meeting and admitting he may not even look like the Hokage type. But there's also this serious "I will lay down the law and screw you over if you mess with my village or my family" vibe to him that is also really cool. Just Kawaki reacting to seeing how easy Naruto caught up to him in an instant and flashing his power when Kawaki tried making a run were just really cool moments that remind you of how much Naruto has grown and still has such incredible power. Honestly I know we have to focus on the kids because this is shonen and the staple is following teen characters not adults but... man seeing a series actually all about Hokage Naruto feels like it would be better as we get to see someone we've followed for like a decade and a half at least live up to their dream and now actually have it and the challenges they now face because of it. And you also get a feel of him and Hinata's connection and get to see him act friendly yet decisive with his fellow rulers and... man Naruto has really become such a great character now. Kind of a shame this series keeps not having focuses on the best elements of it's world now to focus on other stuff we don't care as much about. But you know at least chapters like this show it's still around and can still make for good viewing so there's that. And you know if Kawaki is around the Uzumaki household to lead to more moments of grown up Naruto I'll be all for that. Plus after so many fight based chapters in a row nice to have more of a breather honestly and a chance for other characters to be cool. Even Shikamaru got to show off how he could take Kawaki so yeah just good stuff... weird to say that about Boruto but again this one didn't have much of that guy so you know maybe that's why you could say it was so good heh heh.

Jun 10, 2016
Ratings
521 11
Thoughts on Chapter 26 of Boruto that is out now.

Hmmm this may be the best chapter of Boruto since... the end of the last arc honestly. And that's probably because Boruto isn't for once a major focus of what happens. And yeah he does appear in the last part but honestly even that works. I enjoy him getting ticked off and angry at Kawaki for breaking something that Hama made and getting the entitled emo kid to actually come as close as possible to an apology about it. I mean Kawaki is still not very likeable and comes off as an edge lord teenager fanfiction esque character but it's at least a moment for Boruto to act like a good little brother. Since "being nice to his sister" is like one of the kid's few really reedemable characteristics. But you know why this one worked so well? Because the focus of this chapter wasn't on Boruto but rather more on Naruto and... you know between how we saw him in Scarlet Spring and here I just am really digging grown up Naruto. There's a goofy charm to him that reminds you of the original like him outlaying his plan of taking watch over Kawaki to the other Kage and having a shadow double watch while at said meeting and admitting he may not even look like the Hokage type. But there's also this serious "I will lay down the law and screw you over if you mess with my village or my family" vibe to him that is also really cool. Just Kawaki reacting to seeing how easy Naruto caught up to him in an instant and flashing his power when Kawaki tried making a run were just really cool moments that remind you of how much Naruto has grown and still has such incredible power. Honestly I know we have to focus on the kids because this is shonen and the staple is following teen characters not adults but... man seeing a series actually all about Hokage Naruto feels like it would be better as we get to see someone we've followed for like a decade and a half at least live up to their dream and now actually have it and the challenges they now face because of it. And you also get a feel of him and Hinata's connection and get to see him act friendly yet decisive with his fellow rulers and... man Naruto has really become such a great character now. Kind of a shame this series keeps not having focuses on the best elements of it's world now to focus on other stuff we don't care as much about. But you know at least chapters like this show it's still around and can still make for good viewing so there's that. And you know if Kawaki is around the Uzumaki household to lead to more moments of grown up Naruto I'll be all for that. Plus after so many fight based chapters in a row nice to have more of a breather honestly and a chance for other characters to be cool. Even Shikamaru got to show off how he could take Kawaki so yeah just good stuff... weird to say that about Boruto but again this one didn't have much of that guy so you know maybe that's why you could say it was so good heh heh.
Just out of curiosity, do you know if the anime will ever use the manga stories after they finish the movie retellings?