Blazing Team (New Hasbro Show)

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by Takao, Oct 21, 2015.

1. Takao

Takao Fight the darkness all around

That's actually something I disliked. Parker is shown to be extremely passionate about yo-yos (that is not something I ever expected to write) yet struggles to awaken his power while Maddie, the character mocking the game, is a complete natural. I'm not suggesting they should've reversed the roles, but maybe Parker shouldn't have been the only one feeling useless. Create a narrative hook for Maddie to stick around (have Johnny's switch to evil happen early) and make her transition into part of the team feel more natural.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Mandouga

Mandouga Well-Known Member

"Poked fun at"? I don't know. To me, it felt more like they were trying to teach a moral lesson about how "There's more to life than Yo Kwon Do". I felt the other characters were treating Parker like he didn't know any better, especially their sensei (OTOH, this appears to be kept "in-universe"...for now; more on that later). He tells them about the shard, and his only reward is for the sensei to tell him that he needs to balance Yo Kwon Do with the rest of his life, and that he needs to focus on his "other commitments" while the others go after the shard. It was an okay episode otherwise, but I do wonder at times.

Long story short, I really hope this doesn't end up becoming too "educational" for its own good (especially if it's to please certain groups...). There's nothing wrong with moral lessons, it's just that they can't overshadow the rest of the show, in which case that would be crossing in to "meta" territory; treating the viewers like they don't know any better. I wouldn't really call it preaching at this point, but I do hope this show can avoid falling into that...

3. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon The Christmas Cretin

They laid off the network's staff a year or two ago. The channel is literally running on autopilot.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Lord Hater

Lord Hater Retired

I'm surprised that DFC is still ad-supported.

5. D-nice is the man.

Blazing Team got 26,000 viewers this past Friday with a 18-49 rating of about 10,000

6. Takao

Episode 4: Double Trouble

7. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon The Christmas Cretin

8. Takao

That's referring to the Blazing Teens (you can see why they'd change the name for North America) shows and toys. I don't believe this incarnation of the franchise has premiered in China yet.

Kind of got excited seeing Armor Hero there. For a second there I thought Hasbro would produce a tokusatsu show.

9. VG_Addict

VG_Addict Member

But still, you'd think SOMEONE would put some effort into it.

10. Takao

Episode 5: The Greatest Yo on Earth

11. D-nice is the man.

Episode 4 Ratings: 24,000 18-49 rating >10,000
    Episode 5 Ratings: 12,000 18-49 rating >10,000

12. Media Man

Media Man Member

I would preferred to have had a third season of Kaijudo instead of this mess.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Alas Babylon

Alas Babylon New Member

I found out about this show from a post on Discovery Family's Facebook page and was curious about how they were going to pull this off, as it seemed to be extracted from the same mold as was Kaijudo (and while I loved the card game, I wasn't a big fan of the cartoon).

I can tell you right out I would've preferred Kaijudo hands down: this show is a walking pile of cliches. All the kids are stock, bland archetypes (the lone wolf, the leader, the prideful angsty traitor, the inexperienced hero, the "genius"), characters literally spit out exposition, and while the first episode is passable if a bit boring, the second one is just a mess; the animation and voice-acting become worse, the first antagonist is beaten purely because his abilities are inconsistent, and the villain doesn't really seem threatening when all the magic missile stuff doesn't seem to do anything but rather weak telekinesis. There's no sense of a threat at all.

I saw in one of the previous posts that the ratings had dipped sharply to 12k by episode 5... I'm not surprised. Yo-yo acrobatics can be cool, but when the animation is this terrible there's nothing to draw you into the "sport" as it were, so all it has to sell is stock Asian mysticism magic nonsense and it doesn't work either.

14. Media Man

Media Man Member

I never got into the Kaijudo card game but I loved the cartoon. It was an 'intelligent' Digimon clone. However, I must have been the only one.

• Like Like x 1
  15. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

I also liked the Hub Kaijudo series. Wasn't great, but fun for what it was with the world building and serial storyline.

16. Takao

Episode 6: Such a Lonely World

17. dumbfoolkid5

dumbfoolkid5 Active Member

The premise I don't really care for but it annoys me to see one girl in the team. This is just another one girl team like many action shows out there. Couldn't they add one more girl?

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Alas Babylon

Alas Babylon New Member

Wow, someone finally added to this thread after almost three weeks...

Cartoons made specifically for boys tend to go along that path, unfortunately. Under a presumed fear that a boy wouldn't be able to "identify" with all the characters if too many of them weren't male - see the hubbub surrounding the marketing with the new Star Wars movies and the absence of Rey on a lot of it - they tend to be all male with a token female to round out the cast and make it "diverse". Sometimes one of them is a POC, but even that eludes this show...

You're not going to be finding anything unique about this show, unfortunately. It wasn't made to tell an epic story, it was written purely to push a toyline next spring that I doubt will sell due to the deplorable ratings this show is getting.

• Like Like x 1
  19. thomas2313412

thomas2313412 Active Member

You know i was just saying the same thing about toylines turn into cartoons just like this trope http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MerchandiseDriven

20. 2-D chirox

2-D chirox Active Member

This is one of the strangest ideas for a toyline/show I've ever seen. Whilst it does look like a toy commercial I won't deny I think there could be some creative action scenes to be had with this.