"Blade Runner" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by Lord Dalek, Dec 18, 2007.

?

RATE THIS FILM(S)!

1. *****

8 vote(s)
    80.0%
  2. **** 1/2

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. ****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. *** 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. ** 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. * 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2 *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. mookie75

mookie75 Active Member

Yeah, I just saw the version that I got on the shelf, and even then there was only one of those in the spot I grabbed it from. It's a shame I didn't look around more; I probably would have picked up the 2-disc if I had seen it. I just want to see the movie, I don't care about all the extra bells and whistles.

I think I assumed that the copy I picked up was "the big one" because the box reminded me of the recent anniversary edition of Close Encounters of the Third Kind....another re-release that I was considering, but then didn't pick up because I didn't feel like dropping that kind of money on it at the time.

So tell me everyone: Which version of the movie should I use for my first viewing? The choices on my set appear to be the Final Cut, the 1982 U.S Theatrical Cut, the 1982 International Theatrical Cut and the 1992 Director's Cut.

2. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Uncreative Hack

Go with the Final Cut, its the most polished and complete version of the film so far.

3. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'd say "The Final Cut."

It's Ridley Scott's true vision of the film, and it looks great, so that's probably your best bet to start on, with the others being curiosity viewings of how the film was during earlier stages of its life. (I'm looking forward to checking out the "International" and "Workprint" cuts since those are the only two versions I haven't seen yet.)

4. Sandoz

Sandoz Thin Man Fan

Question from a longtime Blade Runner fan who's hoping to get the five-disc set for Christmas: of all the different versions of the film, is there one that omits the narration and the happy ending and the unicorn sequences? That would be my ideal version of BR, though I won't hold my breath because I know Scott is very attached to the "Deckard is a Replicant" idea.

5. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

According to this...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blade_Runner_%28versions%29

... the "Workprint" has no narration, no happy ending, and no unicorn, though it seems Deckard's brief voice over following Roy Batty's death is still present.

And now a question I have: since "The Final Cut" has a change made to Bryant's line about two Replicants getting fried in an electrical field (in order to finally fix the "sixth replicant" error), did Emmet Walsh record the new line or was that simply from an alternate take or something?

6. Paul_Cousins

Paul_Cousins Active Member

I got the briefcase edition today by mail. I am watching the Workprint Edition right now.

I can only say good things about the Workprint Edition. Don't let the "Workprint" title fool you, the version of the video is just as remastered as the other editions in the set. Good video and audio quality. No timestamps either.

There are some very subtle differences, with a few extra scenes in it, in the Workprint edition compared to the Director's Cut edition. The Workprint has a more slower, detail pace then the other versions. But in a good way.

While watching the Workprint, I finally "get" the movie.

The movie is not about whether Deckard is a human or replicant. It is about Deckard's view/opinion of replicants. At the beginning of the movie he views them as just machines, at the end he views them as people.

For example, right after Deckard kills Zora, after his conversation of the police chief, Deckard looks unhappy with what he has done and is suppose to next, killing Rachel, with the lyrics to the music in the background picking up in volume, stating, "I won't feel this way if I didn't care".

It's that subtlety that I love about the Blade Runner movies. Very cool. :cool:

#26 Paul_Cousins, Dec 20, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2007
  7. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Sounds very interesting. Can't wait to check it out.

And I had read that the "Workprint" did look nice and was cleaned up, so I wasn't worried about the quality of it. (I have watched such versions of things before, timecode and all, and was never really bothered by them. But I'm glad to see they took the time to also clean up the other versions as well.)

8. Lord Dalek

Yeah the Blade Runner workprint isn't one of those workprints most fans are use to of films like Buckaroo Banzai and Thief and the Cobbler which are usually of some timecoded vhs source. This one was a 70mm print that was actually the first version of the film shown in Houston in 1981 before the producers seized the picture away from Ridley. Technically, it is the original cut.

9. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Any noticable Temp Track score in the "Workprint?" I read that only the first half of the film has Vangelis' score, while the rest is just temp score. Sometimes interesting choices turn up on the Temp Tracks of bootleg workprints and director's cuts of films. John Woo's "Director's Cut" of Hard Target has score from Lethal Weapon 3 and even Aliens. :D

10. Paul_Cousins

Yes, the tracks are either different scores at different times in the movie or they are completely different music in the Workprint than in the other versions of the movie.

For example, Roy famious speech at the end had NO music playing in the background. Also, it is a different music track that plays after the elevator doors shut and it screen goes to black.

Deckard (only) narroration (in the movie) after Roy's death was different than in the Theatrical version, Deckard said to the effect, "He (Roy) lived every moment of his life to it's fullest. Even the pain." The dialoge fit the scene well.

Also, meaning of the paper unicorn at the end is different in the Workprint.

The paper unicorn has nothing to do on whether Deckard is a replicant or human.

The paper unicorn instead signafied Rachel's innocence. Her purity. It is prove that Gaff returned to Deckard's appartment first and spared her, because he didn't think she should die.

I give the Workprint a 5 out of 5 stars. It's a good version of the Blade Runner movie.

11. Leaping Larry Jojo

Leaping Larry Jojo Searching for a map

While the "Final Cut" is Ridley's vision of the movie, Harrison Ford has a certain vision for what he wanted out of the film as well, and IMO the 1992 Director's Cut generally satisfies everything I've read and heard about what Ford preferred. I know Ford didn't want Deckard to be a replicant, but the 1992 version is still ambiguous enough about the answer to that question, even though it is arguably the version that ignited the controversy in the first place.

I'd haven't seen the workprint yet, would rather rent it because I already paid for the 4 disc version and I won't pay for the briefcase version.

I like that the extras feature people with a lot of differing opinions about the film. It's part gush-fest, but part reserved disappointment about certain things too. I wish DVD extras in general would be more honest. I get sick of hearing about how perfect a film is, and I'm glad to hear some people involved with BR wished that some things, such as the narrative, were better.

Also--the examples of Syd Mead's concept and design art is incredible--I'd like to own some of those originals.

12. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I answered my own question. I was flipping through Future Noir: The Making of Blade Runner last night and found a brief mention of it. Once the sixth Replicant was removed from the film, Scott attempted to fix the error by having Walsh redub the line, but the difference between the new line and Walsh's lip movement was too noticable and jarring, so it was just left as it was.

13. Paul_Cousins

Though there is one short narroration by Mr. Ford, at the end of the Workprint. I think the Workprint was the closest version to the way Mr. Ford stated he wanted it, because the Workprint never hints that Deckard is a replicant. It doesn't even play with the idea. See my to previous posts, post 26 and post 30, on this thread for more on the Workprint.

14. Bones Justice

Bones Justice Bring on the noise!

I really like the theatrical version. This is the first way that I saw the movie and I like the narration.

Is there a way to buy the theatrical version on DVD alone? Or do you have to buy the more expensive box sets? I don't care to do that. I have the laserdisc but would like to get this on DVD someday.

15. Lord Dalek

Well my briefcase came in today and I am just completely engrossed in BR all over again. The Final Cut truly is perfect.

16. xage

xage Member

Here is a visual of my Blade Runner Brief Case Set #d 0891/2500 Blu Ray

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It sure is an awesome-looking set.

My only complaint is the little flap that holds the transparent Ridley Scott letter in place. I wish it had just been a single sheet that simply lays in place on top, to make moving it to get out the DVD box and collectibles a bit easier.

18. xage

xage Member

Yup.. me too.. if they could have just made it like some sort of a paper certificate it would be better

19. James

James Administrator
    Staff Member Moderator

I was late watching my Blade Runner set (no, I had no need for the briefcase, just the 5 disks thanks), and while I thought I would be disappointed by the lack of Holden inserts in the Final Cut, having seen them in the deleted scenes, I'm very happy they were removed.

It's nice to see a Final Cut of a film that actually feels done. After so many "special editions" and the ilk, this feels the right balance of material from the various version. Surprising how much of the workprint made it into the Final Cut.

Not listened to the full documentary, but I was happy that the deleted scenes were so expansive as well. Love the fact that Eddie Olmos accidentally refers to replicants as cylons. Quite a slip there Edward.

Possibly my favourite film ever, and I think the Final Cut really does make for the best version. I disagree with Sammon as to the end voice over - I think its superfluous, and the Final Cut works far better without any voice over.

Is Decker a replicant? Looking at a variety of message boards - and even the feature on the film itself, it amazes me people still look to justify the notion he isn't in the DC and the FC. Sure, I think the theatrical, workprint and International releases offer the question an ambiguous conclusion, but there is no doubt to the DC and FC.

But I like it that way - and its why I love BR. The nuances can shift the character so radically just by a few scenes. I like watching the International cut and seeing Deckard as a cold human who through his encounter with inhuman machines actually learns to become more human. Equally, I like the FC for the layer of a man who discovers the distinction is between replicant and human is far more blurred than he thought he knew, in fact, so much so, that the hunter is one of the hunted, who through his own humanity discovers his inhumanity.

Brilliant film and fantastic DVD set. Best buy in a long time.

20. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

Alrighty. Just watched the film again 10 years later. This time I did the International Cut since it's basically the Theatrical Cut with a little extra. I'm way more impressed with this viewing than I was 10 years ago with the Director's Cut. This time I watched on blu-ray on a bigger TV as well.

I didn't mind the narration since it's on top of moments where "nothing" is happening. I'm looking at this movie more as a cop/film noir movie only, and not a sci-fi movie (I think I was expecting more sci-fi the 1st time I watched it, which led to my let down). Since it's a cop/film noir movie, the narration is appropriate. With Blade Runner 2049 coming up, I'm expecting that to be a more straight up sci-fi film and little to no cop/film noir. I personally think strongly about Blade Runner being cop/film noir that I wonder if the people making 2049 understood that it was that genre, and miss the "point" by focusing more or only on sci-fi (if that is what they end up doing). Of course I could be completely wrong on the matter. Blade Runner seemingly has every viewer asking their own questions, drawing their own conclusions, questioning the definition of "humanity", and interpreting any & everything they see maybe because THAT is the whole point of the movie. For the viewer do those things.

All that said, I go back to this - If Deckard is a replicant, how come his eye pupils never have an orange glow like the rest of the replicants (and the owl) have through out the movie? Concrete evidence Deckard is human. If Deckard is a replicant, how come he lives long enough into Blade Runner 2049? And doesn't the existence of Blade Runner 2049 eliminate the entire POINT (whatever that may be) of Blade Runner itself, or more specifically the question of whether Deckard is or isn't a replicant?

My interest in Blade Runner was renewed after seeing the 30th anniversary blu-ray on sale at Best Buy for 10 bucks. Online it was out of stock last week, got in stock, and now out of stock again. Check your stores, or the website often. It's still listed as $10. Apparently it's out of print and being sold for a few extra dollars. Or I guess anyone could just wait for the 2049 tie in double dip release.

And here is MY Final Cut of Blade Runner:
    It's the same a Ridley Scott's final cut, but the "happy ending" is included and expanded. Inside the car, Rachael turns her head and smiles at Deckard. Deckard looks back and smile's back at her. Suddenly Rachael screams "LOOK OUT!". Deckard focus' back on the road, violently turns the steering wheel and the car crashes off the road. We cut to the wrecked car, no signs of whether they lived or died. The unicorn walks into frame. Takes a gander at the car, and walks off. Instantly cuts to black background end credits.

#40 rggkjg1, Jul 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2017