1. Enter for a chance to win the Captain America Blaster Shield and two POP Vinyl figures from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Black Lightning" Season One Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Live-Action Movies and Television' started by The Penguin, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

That is really cool to learn. Thank you for the comic history lesson.

2. The Penguin

The Penguin All Hail the King!
    Staff Member Moderator

Black Lightning is on now!

[​IMG]
    "And Then the Devil Brought the Plague: The Book of Green Light"
    Tuesday, February 13, 2018 @ 9 p.m. ET/8 CT on The CW
    An unexpected phone call unearths the long-buried need for Jefferson to investigate the murder of his father.

3. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

Ok, could there be side effects to Jefferson's powers that weren't previously explored in the books?

A week off next week, as I guess they all have to take some time due to the Olympics. Meh.

4. Road to Gotham

Road to Gotham Well-Known Member

Got a chuckle out of seeing Anissa buying her superhero custom.
    Blonde wig, nice touch.

Gambi keeping secrets, like that never works out.

5. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Figured they have to find ways to handicap Black Lightning, but man I hate how that ugly jerk Toledo got away from a proper beatdown.
    Love how Tobias took care of his abusive father. It’s nice to root for the bad guy every now and then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Black Lightning "And Then The Devil Brought The Plague: The Book Of Green Light"

Mixed feelings. I liked some of it. Which is more than I can usually say for most genre shows I watch.

I like getting some backstory for Tobias. I don't sympathize with him exactly, but I kind of understand why someone who is neither considered black or white would wind up so damaged. The envelope with the dust in it also explicitly says that Lady Eve thinks of him as a non-person. I'm a little surprised he used to be a politician. The episode treated him as if no-one ever liked him.

I like the way Lynn diffused the lesbian mothers, and the fact that her and Jefferson pretty much had them eating out of their hands by the end of the day. I agree with Lynn that Jennifer needed to be punished, but I'm amused that Jefferson cannot help himself giving her affirmation over her fighting skills, even when he should not be encouraging her. Which leads me to the bad thing.

Jefferson telling Jennifer to walk away was rich consider he threatened Gambi, and went out anyways over his objections, only to have a heart attack or whatever and get his butt kicked. And by the way, I don't know what I was expecting from Joey Toledo, but just based upon all the build-up the show did with his name, I expected more than a ratty looking guy. The episode would have done better to show him and Tobias at the beginning instead of speaking of Joey in fearful, hushed tones. Now it's a let-down.

Gambi is not blameless. He should have told Jefferson about Tobias immediately. He's right that Jefferson probably would have overreacted, but it's not like he didn't already do that anyways.

The mixed bag thing is Anissa's costume. It's an eyesore. And yet, I feel superhero shows and movies should have more garish and loud costumes than they do. Those are the only kinds regular people like Anissa would be able to afford. The problem is that it's rubber, so she looks like a clown dominatrix. And I don't care if she gave a fake name, she's crazy to tell the tailor what she actually wanted the costume for. Because now he knows her face, and now he'll probably become a target because of that. I want garish cosplay costumes. But I would like them if the material was more like Adam West and Christoper's Reeves tights. There has to be a middle ground somewhere. I hate superhero costumes with dull, muted tones. But still, this was a bit much.

Do you know what superhero costumes I liked? The ones the Royal Family wore in the first episode of Inhumans. They were literally the only thing about that show I liked. Most people who watched that show had it worse than me, because they too liked nothing else about the show, but also thought the costumes sucked. But that's the middle ground between this and the breathable fabric costumes from the Snyderverse and the Arrowverse.

All right, but not as good as the previous weeks. ***.

#26 Fone Bone, Feb 14, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
  7. Otaku-sempai

Otaku-sempai Well-Known Member

You've got to remember that this isn't Anissa's real costume that we've already seen in promotional images. She will eventually receive that from Gambi. This one approximates a look she has worn in the comics at one point.

8. hobbyfan

In the books, Joey Toledo was a blond, and not exactly a sharpie. Why cast a dark haired goober to play the part?

9. The Penguin

Staff Member Moderator

[​IMG]
    "Three Sevens: The Book of Thunder"
    Tuesday, February 27, 2018 @ 9 p.m. ET/8 CT on The CW
    Jefferson is on the hunt for his father’s killer, while Anissa uses her new powers to rectify a wrong after a protest fails.

10. Road to Gotham

Pretty good fight scene between Dad and Daughter.
    But will Jefferson be willing to train Anissa in the art of Superheroing or will Gambi be the one to coax her along.
    Seem Lynn is coming around to Jeff being BL now that her daughter has enter the game.

11. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Black Lightning “Three Sevens: The Book Of Thunder”

That episode pushed a LOT of buttons for me, and I was mostly happy with those buttons being pushed. Not completely though.

First off, all Confederate statues should be destroyed. They are obscene. And we’ve tolerated them for far too long. People defending them scream “heritage”, but that’s never been what it’s about, and I’m not going to give the racists who want to deliberately offend black people with the statues the cover to believe heritage has anything to do with it. Because if I found out my ancestor was in the Confederacy, I would be properly ashamed. I would not be celebrating my heritage and bragging about how honorable it was that my great, great grandfather betrayed his country for the right to own another human being. It’s weird that White Nationalists try to convince us our response should be any different. And I love that we’ve stopped refusing to give them cover about that. It’s about freaking time.

I liked Jefferson talking to Jennifer about how black people often resent other black people who are successful, and Jennifer’s all, “Nah, that backfired on her.” I love that the response from most of the kids in the school was to think that the bully was over the line, and that her thinking was harmful to all black people. And that’s something I love about this current generation, that I hate about all previous generations. Kids today stand up to bullies. For the first time ever. And it galls me that we elected the biggest bully ever President. We failed these amazing kids. But I sincerely do not see them ever failing us.

I love the look Anissa gives Jefferson in the last shot. She’s happy. Because it explains everything about herself immediately, including why she fights crime at all. And her entire quest during the first part of the season was all about getting those answers. And seeing her father in the Black Lightning costume explained everything. Immediately. That was joy on her face and I shared it.

I do not believe Gambi is keeping Tobias’ secret from Jefferson because he’s worried about his own dirty laundry coming out. I think it’s more that he made a promise to Lady Eve that ultimately protected the Pierces, and he’s going to live up to it.

Interestingly, even if that’s true, he should have told Jefferson the truth this episode. Things would have gone better for him. Just because Jefferson gave him the perfect opportunity to come clean. The tone of voice Jefferson used when he asked him “What aren’t you telling me?” suggested that Jefferson’s frame of mind was that he knew Gambi screwed him over somehow regarding information with Tobias, but if he admitted it right there, he’d forgive him. And Gambi is too dumb to take that opportunity for the gift it was. Now whatever the truth is, when it comes out (and it will), Jefferson is gonna be pissed as hell. And honestly? He’ll be right to be.

The Kahlil stuff is the one button the episode pressed that I felt didn’t work. If I were Jennifer, I would have lost him already. She feels bad, but she shouldn’t. Do you know the reason he went to that march? So he could get into her pants. That’s the only reason. He did not do that for her. He did that for himself. And he’s crazy to make Jennifer feel bad for it.

And frankly, Jennifer’s a young teenage girl. Her and Kahlil JUST started dating. She can’t be expected to give up her life for the guy the way a spouse whose loved one gets a spinal injury does. She is young and not THAT committed. She is under no obligation to stay. Especially if he’s bullying her and blaming her for it. She owes him less than Kahlil believes.

But Jennifer is not completely blameless in that scene. And it’s due to the show pushing the wrong political button. She says she’ll keep Kahlil in her prayers. A week and a half earlier I would not have objected to that line as much as I do now. Now I agree with Kahlil that her prayers are worthless.

Love that Henderson immediately suspects the chief is dirty, just because he got a tip he had no explanation for, and refused to explain it. Henderson is no dummy, and I like that about him.

I like that Jefferson is pissed Anissa used toy guns in front of cops. She downplays it as merely being water guns, but ask Tamir Rice about how great cops’ judgment is about stuff like that. “The Talk” all black fathers have to have with their children about the police was another political button the episode pushed, and it was one I liked.

The fact that Jefferson witnessed Tobias killing his father in the way he did made me totally get why he wanted to murder him. I actually don’t approve, but I like, GET it.

I love it whenever a show has the hero say, “I don’t want to hurt you. I want to help you.” That is the best line ever, and should be used more often than it is. What makes “No, WE did it!” so great anyways? THIS is the line that should be overused, not that one.

This show has the best episode titles.

Great episode. ****1/2.

12. hobbyfan

Watched it online. Watching father vs. daughter made use of one of the oldest tropes in the business, mostly a Marvel thing, not a DC thing, but I wasn't down with that cliche.

Nor was I down with Khalil buying into Tobias' false promises. That ain't gonna end well.

Topical political subplot? Fine. Just don't overdo it.

Not so sure about Gambi and his backstory with Lady Eve and Tobias. That ain't gonna end well, either.

13. The Penguin

Staff Member Moderator

Tonight at 9 p.m. ET on The CW.

[​IMG]
    "Equinox: The Book of Fate"
    Tuesday, March 6, 2018 @ 9 p.m. ET/8 CT on The CW
    Black Lightning’s pursuit for Tobias continues. Anissa continues to find herself in the new normal.

14. hobbyfan

Ok, so Tobias is into cage fighting when it comes to sparring. So Kingpin-like.

He's also opening a nightclub. Ok, so we're also aping season 1 of Luke Cage. Coincidence or lack of creativity.

And, so, Lady Eve & Joey Toledo get whacked. I think Tobias' sis also buys it. The collateral damage is growing, and BL is getting blamed for Eve's death.

I say, let's flip the two Tuesday shows, as this is better than Flash.

15. Road to Gotham

Sorry to see LADY EVE taken out. I like her character.
    So Gambi is now a murderer. Wonder he will try to whack Tobias to keep Jefferson from turning into a murderer.

16. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

I suspect Gambi has ALWAYS been a murderer. When he was warning Jefferson off of it, it sounded like he was speaking from experience.

Black Lightning “Equinox: The Book Of Fate"

I am a little surprised Lady Eve didn’t see that coming. Gambi was right the first time. Taking out Tobias was the ONLY move available to her. Joey was Tobias’ friend. You think he can just let that go unanswered? She expects him to walk away with his tail tucked between his legs? She has been dehumanizing him for his albinism for too long for him to do anything else but strike back. She’s kidding herself if she thinks she is actually putting him in his place in that moment.

And it cost Tobias his sister. It’s interesting Jefferson feels guilty for that, and it’s probable Tobias will blame Black Lightning, but that’s something I think would have happened whether he was there or not. There were not a ton of people left standing after that massacre. And she did not seem like a contender to survive it whether Jefferson got in the way or not.

I sort of understand why Gambi does not want Jefferson murdering anybody. It’s because he’s a murderer and cannot live with it. I suspected earlier he was speaking from experience, but I did not know enough about the situation to publicly offer that theory. What I did NOT expect was for the show to reveal this aspect of him this early on. Jefferson questioning his loyalty this early in the show’s run also strikes me as a bit too soon.

I think Anissa thought seeing her father in the Black Lightning suit last episode explained everything. And she was happy for it. But there was one unexpected thing it DIDN’T explain, and it had to be pointed that to her that it’s why her parents broke up. And it seems kind of obvious in hindsight, and Anissa seems amazed she didn’t put that together sooner.

I sympathize with Lynn. I believe Anissa when she says she is willing to sacrifice her happiness for the city. Her phone call to Grace at the end pokes at that, but I think they will eventually split BECAUSE Anissa takes saving the city so seriously. But that’s not what a mother would ever want for their child. Ever.

Henderson is dumb if he believes that was Black Lightning. I think the frame job was pretty sloppy, simply because once those guns are discovered it will be pretty clear what happened. But those guns concern me for an entirely different reason. I don’t think they will wind up a huge threat to Black Lightning, just because he can channel electricity himself. I’m worried about the innocent people in the crossfire who HAVE no protection from that. This episode only had scumbags taken out by that weapon. But I don’t think it will always be scumbags being murdered with it which concerns me. I am especially worried about Henderson and the cops, because until they figure out the truth, they won’t want Black Lightning’s help on anything, and I think he’s the only person who could protect them from that.

I liked the qualifier Henderson used when talking over the phone about the young woman who destroyed a Confederate statue. He says she destroyed public property which is against the law... but he personally agreed with her doing it. That’s my perspective. I don’t think people should be vandalizing those statues, and I think it would mean more if we got rid of them legally. But that doesn’t mean I’m sorry when they are gone either. What I think is right and what I will tolerate are sometimes two different things. And I like that the show gets that people are complicated and can think the same thing. Superhero shows are often black and white about crime and imitable behavior. Things like that are something without an easy answer.

Look forward to next week. ****.

#36 Fone Bone, Mar 7, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  17. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 It doesnt make any sense.

At the end of the episode with the Priest/Pastor leading the peaceful march, did Tobias explicitly tell his henchwoman to shoot Black Lightning (I thought that's what I heard him say)? Right after that happened and saw her by his side later on I thought "Didn't he tell her to kill Black Lightning? How come he didn't kill her since she failed him?"

If Black Lightning is in it's own universe, why was the word "metahuman" used in dialogue in a tone/context that leads me to believe metahumans are a known thing like in the other shows? Just put the show in the shared universe. If they want it separate, just don't reference events or characters in the other shows.

• Like Like x 1
  18. The Penguin

Staff Member Moderator

Right now on The CW.

[​IMG]
    "The Book of Revelations"
    Tuesday, March 13, 2018 @ 9 p.m. ET/8 CT on The CW
    Black Lightning works with Anissa to help find information to clear Black Lightning’s name.

19. hobbyfan

Jefferson finds the evidence to clear him, but some other jabroni shows up. We find the gun had a self-destruct mech, and said jabroni waves bye-bye. Whee.

In re.: Jefferson & Anissa. Baby steps, y'all. Methinks the kid got her smarts from her mom.

Latavius makes out with Lawanda's ghost. That doesn't freak me out as much as you'd think, because this trope actually has been used on Lucha Underground. See, one of the women on that show is caught between worlds, and teleports, almost ghost like. She's had makeout scenes with the guy she manages, kind of like what we saw with Latavius and Lawanda. Freee-eaky.

20. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Interesting episode. I wasn’t expecting Lawanda to have ghost powers and is now making out with her resurrected killer. Lala’s drivers were so freaked out!
    And now we know what Gambi’s been up to. Something something social commentary on how the government pulls strings in society to keep people down.
    Makes for good TV, I’ll tell you what!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk