"Black Lightning" Season One Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Live-Action Movies and Television' started by The Penguin, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

That is really cool to learn. Thank you for the comic history lesson.

2. The Penguin

The Penguin All Hail the King!
    Staff Member Moderator

Black Lightning is on now!

[​IMG]
    "And Then the Devil Brought the Plague: The Book of Green Light"
    Tuesday, February 13, 2018 @ 9 p.m. ET/8 CT on The CW
    An unexpected phone call unearths the long-buried need for Jefferson to investigate the murder of his father.

3. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

Ok, could there be side effects to Jefferson's powers that weren't previously explored in the books?

A week off next week, as I guess they all have to take some time due to the Olympics. Meh.

4. Road to Gotham

Road to Gotham Well-Known Member

Got a chuckle out of seeing Anissa buying her superhero custom.
    Blonde wig, nice touch.

Gambi keeping secrets, like that never works out.

5. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Figured they have to find ways to handicap Black Lightning, but man I hate how that ugly jerk Toledo got away from a proper beatdown.
    Love how Tobias took care of his abusive father. It’s nice to root for the bad guy every now and then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Black Lightning "And Then The Devil Brought The Plague: The Book Of Green Light"

Mixed feelings. I liked some of it. Which is more than I can usually say for most genre shows I watch.

I like getting some backstory for Tobias. I don't sympathize with him exactly, but I kind of understand why someone who is neither considered black or white would wind up so damaged. The envelope with the dust in it also explicitly says that Lady Eve thinks of him as a non-person. I'm a little surprised he used to be a politician. The episode treated him as if no-one ever liked him.

I like the way Lynn diffused the lesbian mothers, and the fact that her and Jefferson pretty much had them eating out of their hands by the end of the day. I agree with Lynn that Jennifer needed to be punished, but I'm amused that Jefferson cannot help himself giving her affirmation over her fighting skills, even when he should not be encouraging her. Which leads me to the bad thing.

Jefferson telling Jennifer to walk away was rich consider he threatened Gambi, and went out anyways over his objections, only to have a heart attack or whatever and get his butt kicked. And by the way, I don't know what I was expecting from Joey Toledo, but just based upon all the build-up the show did with his name, I expected more than a ratty looking guy. The episode would have done better to show him and Tobias at the beginning instead of speaking of Joey in fearful, hushed tones. Now it's a let-down.

Gambi is not blameless. He should have told Jefferson about Tobias immediately. He's right that Jefferson probably would have overreacted, but it's not like he didn't already do that anyways.

The mixed bag thing is Anissa's costume. It's an eyesore. And yet, I feel superhero shows and movies should have more garish and loud costumes than they do. Those are the only kinds regular people like Anissa would be able to afford. The problem is that it's rubber, so she looks like a clown dominatrix. And I don't care if she gave a fake name, she's crazy to tell the tailor what she actually wanted the costume for. Because now he knows her face, and now he'll probably become a target because of that. I want garish cosplay costumes. But I would like them if the material was more like Adam West and Christoper's Reeves tights. There has to be a middle ground somewhere. I hate superhero costumes with dull, muted tones. But still, this was a bit much.

Do you know what superhero costumes I liked? The ones the Royal Family wore in the first episode of Inhumans. They were literally the only thing about that show I liked. Most people who watched that show had it worse than me, because they too liked nothing else about the show, but also thought the costumes sucked. But that's the middle ground between this and the breathable fabric costumes from the Snyderverse and the Arrowverse.

All right, but not as good as the previous weeks. ***.

#26 Fone Bone, Feb 14, 2018 at 5:01 AM
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2018 at 1:13 PM
  7. Otaku-sempai

Otaku-sempai Well-Known Member

You've got to remember that this isn't Anissa's real costume that we've already seen in promotional images. She will eventually receive that from Gambi. This one approximates a look she has worn in the comics at one point.

8. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

In the books, Joey Toledo was a blond, and not exactly a sharpie. Why cast a dark haired goober to play the part?