Best Felix cartoon?

Discussion in 'Back To The Inkwell - Classic Cartoons Discussion' started by Frank98, Jul 5, 2017.

1. Frank98

Frank98 Keep moving forward

Felix the Cat is possibly the greatest animated character from the silent era. Which one of his films do you like the best?

I personally have many candidates, but I'd go with Felix the Cat Trifles with Time (1925), probably one of the most creative ones. Just the idea of Felix going back in time in the prehistoric age is wonderfully surreal. There are also some pretty risky jokes for its time - Felix gets skinned alive!

2. Revelator

Revelator In summary then: "Oh no."

I'm very fond of Felix Woos Whoopee (1930), one of the most adult entries, and Comicalamities (1928), perhaps his most metafictional exploit. But there's so much to choose from--the late 20s Felix cartoons are consistently inventive and delightful.

3. Frank98

Frank98 Keep moving forward

Comicalamities is basically Duck Amuck 20 years before.. it's amazing what Messmer has been able to accomplish during that era

4. Revelator

Yes, Messmer was in the enviable position of having creative control (thanks to Sullivan being an absentee boss) and being able to hire pioneers of animation like Raoul Barré and Bill Nolan.
    If anyone is interested, the two must-own books on Felix are John Canemaker's Felix: The Twisted Tale of the World's Most Famous Cat and Nine Lives to Live: A Classic Felix Celebration, which collects the Felix comic strips, including two adaptations of now-lost cartoons. The strip outlasted the films by two decades and there really should be a complete edition of it by now. I'd also love to see a book that comprehensively examines the outstanding films in depth.
    But most of all, it would be great to have the surviving films on good quality DVD and Blu-Ray. Such a set was in the works and almost released, until Felix was sold off to Dreamworks. Who knows what the company will do to him...

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. superdude

superdude king of cool

One I fondly remember from 80s VHS was a silent one where he was at a Cat political convention making a speech then he went up to Saturn. The outer ring had cyclist racing and felix knocked one of them over. Angry cyclist rolled Felix up like a nail, this king with a cape then got caught on it. They seemed to be allies until at the end when the planet was invaded by Earth cats who Felix invited over.

6. Revelator

That cartoon is Astronomeows (1928), which is in public domain and can be seen, albeit misspelled, online. The circulating version is a reissue from 1931, whose intertitles were removed when sound was added. In the original, according to David Gerstein, "Felix is campaigning for President of Cats in the 'Democatic' primary. The big issue is finding new homes for homeless cats; Felix promises to colonize outer space—and that he'll launch an exploratory space mission immediately. In the end, after Felix saves the King of Mars from the comet, the grateful King says 'I wish I had a million more like you.' In line with Felix's campaign promise, up come a flood of strays."
    By eliminating the titles, the 1931 version renders the story incomprehensible--this helps explain why Felix didn't last long after sound came in. Even the Felix cartoons created for sound didn't take much advantage of it.

#6 Revelator, Jul 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2017