Best and Worst of Cartoon Network/Boomerang in 2017

Discussion in 'The Cartoon Network/Boomerang Cartoon Forum' started by Asa, Dec 1, 2017.

1. Asa

Asa Member

With 2018 rolling in just five weeks, I have decided to make this thread sharing your best and worst Cartoon Network/Boomerang moments of 2017.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

Best:
    One Good Show
    - CN's originals were total duds in 2016. The PPG reboot is a pale imitation of a much better show and I found Mighty Magiswords to be a chore to sit through. The only bright spot that year was Bunnicula and...we barely got to see it. Finally, CN seems to be rebounding. OK K.O. is a breath of fresh air and one of the best shows they've had in a long time. I'm hoping they can continue this trend in 2018.

It's All Streaming Back to You - After two years of floundering in mediocrity and obscurity since its relaunch, Turner finally does something remarkable with the Boomerang brand and launches an SVOD app, no need for a cable subscription and for a better price than most other streaming services are offering. I signed up in October and I really like what I see. Not only are the CN and H-B classics there, but it was also surprising to see a bunch of obscure shows and movies that we thought were lost to time. I'd never heard of Droopy: Master Detective or Monchhichis before. It was great to see nearly all of the Garfield specials (I had ever only seen ONE of them as a kid), and we could finally see new episodes of the WBA shows that went missing the previous year.

NEWNEWNEWNEW - I loved this advertising campaign! From February to August, they were airing month-long premieres of all their shows nearly every weekday. After that was done, it became its own weekly block and it was just so great to see so many premieres loaded onto the schedule at a consistent pace.

Classic Teen Titans and Ben 10 - Oh hey, look at that! CN is airing beloved action shows on their schedule that are more than a decade old! They're getting a decent amount of airtime, too! And now they're down to 10 or fewer slots a week. Well, that was fun while it lasted.

Worst:
    The Schedule is Worse Than Ever
    - I avoided mentioning "That Show" by name in my Worst of CN list for last year, but it's gotten so far past the boiling point in 2017 that I can't hold it in any longer. Hated Teen Titans Spam before? Hope you enjoy a whole damn week of it! Not only that, but the advertising has been badly plagued with this damn show--they'll shoehorn in the Titans even in places where they're not needed. Remember that advertisement for new episodes of Gumball where Robin was narrating the whole thing and Gumball himself didn't get to promote his own show? Yeah, that's fantastic, CN. Great job there!

One Good Show...and a Bunch of Stinkers - 2016 was pretty bad, and it felt like a drag waiting through 2/3 of 2017 to get to the good stuff. It was great seeing new episodes of the older shows like Gumball, We Bare Bears, etc. but it felt like CN was flushing down some disposable waste first. A combination of My Knight and Me, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, and a rebooted Ben 10 wasn't exactly the best way to put your foot in the door for a new year.

Terrible (lack of) Promotion - The end of Uncle Grandpa, the finale of Regular Show, and new Adventure Time didn't receive a peep from the network, but they felt their already unpopular--and rightly buried--Powerpuff Fanfic Special deserved far more promotion. Brain...not...compute. EDIT: I forgot that the Regular Show finale was promoted. Oops!

Boomerang: Great App, Terrible Originals - As much as I love the Boomerang app to death, WB seriously needs to make some better original shows for this app. Wacky Races can be tossed on CN/WB's growing pile of mediocre reboots and I can't look at Dorothy without thinking...well, I can't look at it. It's diabetes incarnate! The recent announcement of a new Flintstones series has me both intrigued and concerned if this is the route that WB has planned for the future of the app.

Awful treatment of Justice League Action - I predicted that CN wouldn't advertise the show or give it a proper time slot in last year's thread, and I was sadly right. It deserved better treatment than it got, and it sounds like the show really is on its way to an unfortunate cancellation. It never got a chance. On the bright side, though, it is nice that the app lets us see a few weeks ahead.

Boomerang's Stealth Premieres - Couldn't they pick a better time to air these premieres? Heck, why make them stealth premieres at all? You have a brand-new app you want to promote, so here's a novel concept: Promote it with these shows. And why air them haphazardly during Adult Swim's dead night hours? How about the afternoon or prime time where far more people would be awake? It's not like they're using the rest of the schedule outside of Sonic Boom and Grizzy premieres (both of which ran out, by the way). This move is just mind-boggling.

Final thoughts:
    I think it's safe to say there's no hope for the linear channel anymore. It's become a bigger mess than it was last year. When your late-night Fox-plagued block can air more than ten shows--nay, ONE show--in a single day, you have a major problem. CN's staff has taken every conceivable step to drive us away from watching them on TV, and by golly, are they succeeding. It's certainly not helped when many of their shows ended this year, and at least a few more will be ending in 2018.

Regular Show, Uncle Grandpa, Transformers, Pokémon... R.I.P. Thank you for your years of entertainment.

As for the future, Adventure Time will certainly be missed, and Craig of the Creek looks to fill the void that Clarence will leave when that show reaches its conclusion. The schedule may be awful now, but it seems the quality is swinging back. It couldn't come at a more dire time.

• Winner Winner x 10
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    #2 Daikun, Dec 1, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
  3. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

I honestly don't like any of the new CN originals from 2016 / 2017.

It's sad that Clarence and Justice League Action are ending, but we all saw it coming. I wonder if Steven Universe will get more than 78 half hours or if We Bare Bears will get more than 52 half hours. Probably not.

Summer Camp Island and Craig of the Creek HAVE to be good. They have to be. I hope CotC is less boring than the preview. I don't want to lose interest in CN.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Best
    Regular Show finale - Regular Show is my favorite CN show of the decade and was sad to see it go, but not too sad since it had a good run. The finale was awesome and I'm glad the show went out on a high note.
    OK K.O.! - One of my favorite new shows of the year. Looking forward to more episodes.
    Reruns of Teen Titans and original Ben 10 - I never really cared for the latter, but it was cool of CN to put these shows on the schedule when they didn't actually have to.
    Boomerang streaming service: I haven't gotten it yet, but I do like that they're actually doing something with the brand and some of the additions have been pretty cool.
    Adding old shows On Demand - In addition to more popular shows, they've added stuff I never expected to resurface. I got to see Mike, Lu & Og for the first time thanks to this.
    The Powerpuff Girls: Power of Four - Yeah, I know not a lot of people will agree with this (although it did get a surprisingly positive reception on here if the talkback is anything to go by). I really enjoyed the special and I thought Bliss was a good addition (even if she left in the end, though I hope she appears again).

Worst
    The schedule the week OK K.O! premiered EDIT: Never mind. I take that back. The worst they’ve done this year is this: I don't think the schedule is as big a deal as some make it out to be and that week wasn't much different, but I was still no fan of that schedule.
    Actually, they did promote the Regular Show finale.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    #4 PinkiePie97, Dec 1, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  5. element

element Member

Worst: Pretty much everything from this year except for OK K.O and whatever older good shows were continuing. The channel is at its lowest point ever in my eyes right now, if the Adult Swim Jr rumors turn out to be true, then CN will be dead to me.

Next year's lineup doesn't give me much optimism either.

• Like Like x 1
  6. CNFan1995

CNFan1995 Cartoon Network, Adult Swim and Toonami Fan.

"Best"
    Two Good Shows
    - CN's originals were total duds in 2016. The PPG reboot is a pale imitation of a much better show and Mighty Magiswords is amazing. Also Ben 10 (2017) premiered and it's not kind of bad and Finally, CN premiered a good show. OK K.O. is a breath of fresh air and one of the best shows they've had in a long time. I'm hoping they can continue the show in 2018.

NEW NEW NEW NEW - I loved the new episode advertisement campaign! From February to August, they were airing month-long premieres of all their shows nearly every weekday. After that was done, it became its own weekly block and it was just so great to see so many premieres loaded onto the schedule at a consistent pace.

"Summertime GO!" - I loved this year's summer bumpers which includes some sneak peeks of upcoming episodes in the coming up next bumpers.

"Ben 10 Alien of the Week" - I kind of like this block while it lasted with each week which one of Ben's alien is the alien of the week with also premiering the Alien World shorts.

"The Friday Night Block" - When I first saw the promo it was amazing airing every friday night and it kind of reminds me Cartoon Cartoon Fridays.

Classic Teen Titans and Ben 10 - When two of my favorite shows are airing in CN which is super awesome and i'm glad they're action shows on their schedule that are more than a decade old! They're getting a decent amount of airtime, too! And now they're down to 10 or fewer slots a week. Well, that was fun while it lasted.

"Every Episode Unlocked" - When I first saw I though they were kidding but nope I'm glad to see new episodes of my favorite shows early on the CN website.

If you don't understand what i'm talking about here's the promo

"Honorable Mentions"
    The 25th Anniversary Sign on
    - When I woke up at 5 to watch Steven Universe: Wanted I though they're nothing on their 25th anniversary instead they aired a special bumper with my favorite characters of old CN shows including the modern ones but what i didn't like is when Four Arms did the dab.

Halloween Bumpers - I like this year's Halloween bumpers of a ghost hacking the network.

"CN Summertime Collect-A-thon" - I loved when they started this I imagine how CN Characters as Magiswords.

"Worst"
    The Schedule
    - This year's schedule it's gotten so far past the boiling point in 2017 that I can't hold it in any longer. Hated Teen Titans GO! Spam before? Hope you enjoy a whole damn weekend of it! They'll shoehorn in the Titans even in places where they're not needed.

Also I hated the schedule of Friday November 24th and the weekend it's nothing but pure TTG crap also don't forget I also hated the schedule of Wednesday November 22nd which includes all TTG instead of airing Ben 10 (2017) reruns a countdown to the season finale but i'm glad the Ben 10 (2017) season finale

Terrible (lack of) Promotion - The end of Uncle Grandpa and new Adventure Time didn't receive a peep from the network, but they felt their already unpopular--and rightly buried--Powerpuff Fanfic Special deserved far more promotion. Brain...not...compute. Also why is Adventure Time not of the
    NEW NEW NEW NEW.

Awful treatment of Justice League Action - I already knew that CN wouldn't advertise the show or give it a proper time slot in last year's thread and I was right. It deserved better treatment than it got, and it sounds like the show really is on its way to an unfortunate cancellation. But on the bright side, though, it is nice that the app lets us see a few weeks ahead.

Two Good Shows...and a Bunch of Stinkers - 2016 was pretty bad, and it felt like a drag waiting through 2 of CN shows of 2017 to get to the good stuff. It was great seeing new episodes of the older shows like Gumball, We Bare Bears,etc. but it felt like CN was flushing down some disposable waste first. A combination of My Knight and Me, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs wasn't exactly the best way to put your foot in the door for a new year.

Moving CN shows to Boomerang - Remember last year new episodes of Sonic Boom were moved to Boomerang they did it again but i missed all the new episodes but they did it again which is My Knight and Me airing every week at 8 but i'm glad i watched the new episodes.
    The Steven Universe 6 month Hiatus - Seriously Steven Universe was in hiatus for 6 months 6 months I was waiting for a new episode if they aired on the friday night block but nothing.

R.I.P.
    Regular Show Logo 1.png
    September 6th, 2010 - January 16th, 2017
    Pokémon Gotta Catch 'Em All! Logo 2.png
    2002 - January 28th, 2017

Uncle Grandpa Logo.png
    September 2nd, 2013 - June 30th, 2017

Transformers Robots in Disguise (2015 TV Series) Logo.png
    March 14th, 2015 - November 11th, 2017

Don't forget Robin was also narrating the whole thing and Steven himself didn't get to promote his own show.

• Like Like x 1
    #6 CNFan1995, Dec 1, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
  7. Toon4Thought

Toon4Thought Giving a slightly closer look.

@CNFan1995 Real nice, most of what you're saying is just blatantly copying Daikun, just with a few details changed to match your opinion.

As for my own thoughts...

Best:
    *OK KO. This show was a long time coming, and it's safe to say it was worth the wait. It was already refreshing for a new CN original to come out this good, given their track record last year, but I legitimately think that this has the potential to be better than Steven Universe if it goes on the right path.

*Boomerang Streaming App. Finally, they're actually doing something meaningful with the name again after so long! Not only does it help bring the channel to a wider audience, but it also makes perfect sense for a classic-based channel like Boomerang to take this angle. Let's hope it grows and prospers in the future.

*Surprise Teen Titans reruns. And in HD widescreen, no less! The fact they put a decade-old show a fair amount of reruns for a while was already amazing enough, but every single episode is currently on their app (barring free weekends). Man, is this ever a good time to binge-watch it...

*Regular Show's grand finale. Very few cartoons get the fantastic send-off that this show did. It just ceremoniously finishes everything we love about the show in a truly epic conclusion, and wrapping up the show with David Bowie's "Heroes" was absolutely perfect.

*The announcement of several new shows.
    Around this time last year, the only upcoming show that was announced was Ben 10 2017, leaving people (including myself) reasonably concerned over the future of the network. However, those doubts were dashed upon the announcement of Summer Camp Island, Craig of the Creek, Apple and Onion, and of course, OK KO. Just the fact that so many new, fully original concepts are coming when the most we got on that front last year was Mighty Magiswords (which, even then, already existed as mobile shorts) I think is enough of a blessing to merit including them here, regardless of how well they may end up being recieved. Heck, even a recent addition that isn't fully original - Unikitty - seems to have quite a bit of charm to it, despite people's initial skepticism.

Worst:
    *The live schedule. Just because I repeatedly stress that it's nowhere near as much of an issue as people make it seem for various reasons, does not mean the issue doesn't exist. I do agree that it overall hit a low this year, and that TTG taking around half of the lineup by default would be tolerable if it weren't for the number of marathons it got. CN's increased reliance on their app and On Demand makes this far less troubling, and I still stand by people ought to use those instead of endlessly ranting on this; but again, the problem is still there.

*Awkward promotion priorities. There's a bunch of different ways I mean this. For one, it's weird that they promoted the PPG Power of Four special as much as they did, considering how panned and unpopular the show has been, but even weirder that it's the only time they have given the show any real attention this year. Regular Show's finale got a good amount of promotion which was cool, but they didn't go as all out as they could have. But on the flip side, all of Adventure Time's promotion consisted of previews on social media, and Uncle Grandpa didn't get any attention at all (to the point where I legitimately forgot it ended this year). Then there's the recent inception of TTG's Robin promoting the app... for shows that have nothing to do with his. Bias, much?

And was making just one standard, long-lasting promo for Justice League Action really too much to ask for?

*Boomerang's "Stealth Premieres". I legitimately don't see their logic on this whatsoever. If they have to air them, why not put them at a time where people would watch them, or at least let people know that they exist? Surely they would at the very least get more views than yet another Scooby Doo rerun. This just seems totally backwards, even considering their app.

*Doing practically nothing with Sonic Boom. Even though this technically started in 2016, much of it happened this year, so I'll list it here. Just when the show is really starting to become popular, they shove it over to Boomerang, and literally the only exposure it gets on CN are the new episodes appearing On Demand (and only there; not even the app) about a month after the fact. So most of the people who watched the show watched it through torrents. Nice going, guys.

*Q1s acquisitions. My Knight and Me, and Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs both came very early in the year, both were panned, and both have all but died on the network by now. Not exactly the best note to start a new year on.

Overall, while many of the network's problems from last year are more pronounced here, I think CN also has a lot more positives going for it by comparison. Definitely a step up from last year if you look at the big picture.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. ToonJay723

ToonJay723 Nicktoons Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Best

• Premiering OK K.O. consistently without any long gaps.
    • Lots of new episodes for some of their shows. 39 for We Bare Bears, 40 for Ben 10, 43 for OK K.O., 48 for Justice League Action.
    • Greenlighting new shows

• Putting classic CN, WB and Hanna-Barbera series on the Boomerang App
    Worst
    • Long gaps between premieres. 6 months for Steven Universe and Gumball, 4 months for Clarence and We Bare Bears
    • Treating all their non-TTG second/third party shows poorly.
    • Boomerang episodes releases. Outside of the Christmas episode, only four episodes of New Looney Tunes were released this year, and these episodes were already released on DVD the year prior. So basically the only NEW episode of New Looney Tunes the U.S. got was ONE. They didn't even bother releasing the 13 episodes that the Boomerang TV channel aired at 2 in the morning.
    • In addition, their new shows get no love. They release 13 episodes when they premiere, and only released a new episode for a Holiday special. Why can't they release episodes weekly? You already renewed them for another season, why hold on to them?
    So basically the shows are fine, but how they're handled needs more work. Especially on Boomerangs side. I was hoping that app would be a place for WB shows to be treated properly, but so far that doesn't seem to be the case.

• Like Like x 1
    #8 ToonJay723, Dec 1, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
  9. Astroboy6969

Astroboy6969 Marf.

For me, that new Boomerang app is a good way for other shows to be on (even though they premiere on the channel overnight). In addition, I also found enjoyment in My Knight And Me and Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs: The Series. And Cartoon Network on demand has a lot of good (and some bad) shows, specials, movies, and pilots. Plus, Ben 10 2016 came to the US. For worst, the schedule has still been boring. I know O.K K.O has lots of fans, but I just could not get into it. I was also disappointed for Uncle Grandpa and Clarence's cancellation.

• Like Like x 2
    #9 Astroboy6969, Dec 1, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
  10. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

More episodes should be coming December 21.

• Like Like x 1
  11. NeoplanDan

NeoplanDan @Septa Southern District

Best:
    - O.K. K.O.
    - The Regular Show Finale
    - Steven Universe: Wanted

Worst:
    - The stagnation of the network's scheduling and ratings.
    - Acquired shows being heavy burned off before discarding it from the network.
    -Boomerang still suffering.
    - Uncle Grandpa ending without any promotion for most of the series episodes.
    - Mentioning the events that had happened in between Late July and early August.
    - Clarence not being renewed for either fourth or fifth season.

(That’s all until I updated any further information)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  12. mqg96

mqg96 Active Member

Regular Show will always be one of my favorite CN shows of all time, and definitely my favorite of this era. After Ed, Edd n Eddy ended in 2009, Regular Show was by go to show.

As for Pokemon, even though new episodes started premiering in 2006 after it left WB, reruns overall had been on CN since 2002. So Pokemon had really been on CN consistently for 14 years in a row.

13. Anonymoususer2004

Anonymoususer2004 Excelsior!

BEST:
    Cartoon Network On Demand is a freaking paradise
    OK K.O.! premiered
    Boomerang became a streaming service for its own good
    OG Titans and Ben 10 came back (briefly!)
    Good episodes of shows I like (the Regular Show finale, the Stevenbombs, etc)
    Craig of the Creek looks promising
    Villainous

WORST:
    TTG oversaturation
    The ads for NEW NEW NEW NEW became TTG promos
    OG Ben 10 and Titans were removed from the network (OG Titans is leaving next week)
    Ben 10 reboot, My Knight and Me, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs
    The Boomerang channel is a wasteland
    Thanksgiving
    Poor treatment of T:RiD and JLA
    Worst of all: people whining about the network all the time

• Like Like x 2
  14. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

No it's not.

15. Anonymoususer2004

Anonymoususer2004 Excelsior!

Oh. I didn't see that it still had the 6am time slots. I thought it left because it had no afternoon reruns

16. Cartoon Ruler

Cartoon Ruler Senior Member

Eh, what the heck, I'll throw my two cents in as well.

Cartoon Network
    Best:
    -O.K. K.O.! Let's Be Heroes!
    -Reruns of several older shows returning (Teen Titans, Ben 10 (2005), Regular Show, Looney Tunes, Tom and Jerry, Tom and Jerry Tales, and even Billy & Mandy)
    -Teen Titans, Billy and Mandy, and Ben 10 (2005) finally airing in full HD on the network for the first time
    -The NEW NEW NEW NEW block (a great processor to Cartoon Cartoon Fridays and the Fridays block)
    -The annoucement of more upcoming cartoons
    -Regular Show's epic finale
    -Unlocking every episode on the app on a occasional weekend
    -The creative Halloween bumpers
    -The 25th anniversary dance bumper
    -New episodes of shows I like
    -The On Demand feed having some great variety

Worst:

-Bad scheduling (has gotten a bit better recently, but still needs a lot of work)
    -Teen Titans GO!'s overexposure (and this is coming from a guy who likes said show)
    -The mistreatment of several action cartoons and acquisitions
    -Regular Show and Uncle Grandpa not getting marathons leading up to their finales
    -The Powerpuff Girls' ratings-grabbing Power of Four special

Final grade for CN this year: C

Boomerang
    Best:

-The streaming app (obviously)
    -The Halloween lineup (wasn't not the best, but still decent)
    -Grizzy and the Lemmings premiering (never seen the show but it's nice that the channel has at least one exclusive show)

Worst:
    -Bad scheduling
    -Removing CN classics (on the channel)
    -Still no HD feed
    -Sleath premieres
    -Overusing the same dang bumpers from 2014/2015
    -Not premiering more original content (on the channel)
    -Still having no exposure, aside from its app

Final grade for Boomerang (the channel) this year: D-

The channel should really shut down or get replaced at this point. It has been in zombie mode for quite some time.

• Agree Agree x 3
    #16 Cartoon Ruler, Dec 4, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  17. jaylop97

jaylop97 Nickelodeon Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Best:
    O.K. K.O.
    New New New New

Worst
    Obviously the elephant in the room, others have said it better so not much for anything.
    UG not getting a good end.

18. DVDLooney

DVDLooney Active Member

For Cartoon Network
    Best:
    - Regular Show's finale. It ended on a good note.
    - Reruns of Teen Titans and original Ben 10, not a huge fan of either, but it's nice to see those shows on CN.
    - O.K K.O.

Worst:
    It's blindingly obvious that the schedule has been the worst part about CN this year.

For Boomerang
    Best:
    The Halloween lineup

Worst:
    - The channel is on autopilot playing the same old, same old cartoons (in the same order (Tom and Jerry and Looney Tunes) and movies (on the weekends) every single week on a different day.

- Ben 10 reboot and Baby Looney Tunes being added to the Boomerang channel.

- Stealth premieres overnight. It's a sad state of affairs that people have DVR episodes of Bunnicula, for example, in order to watch it (even though they have an app for that.)

19. Anthony Riley

Anthony Riley Active Member

Is there really going to be a sixth season of Teen Titans in 2019?

20. CNFan1995

CNFan1995 Cartoon Network, Adult Swim and Toonami Fan.

Every Single Teen Titans Go! Episode - I can't believe they're doing this again in Christmas Eve this is the worst Christmas gift ever.

#20 CNFan1995, Dec 10, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2017