Batman DVD Countdown (Batman: TAS on DVD) Part 3

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Jan 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

Batman:TAS on DVD Part 3

The newest part to the DVD thread! Below is the last post, posted by baggins:

That's what I'm trying to get across.If there is a series box set , that you can't buy because of syndication. Maybe it's time to purchase a multiregion DVD player.I know they are not cheep, but they are more expensive to buy in the U.K.

Some DVDs are cheeper to buy on region 1 than region 2 in the U.K.
    I know most of the R1 DVDs are imported from Canada.
    I don't know if R1 DVDs are more expensive to buy in the U.S than Canada. Maybe DG can shed some light on this.

My point is, surely there must be a market for imported DVDs , in a place the size of the U.S.

Friends for example have had 7 seasons released in the U.K.
    All I'm trying to say is, that it's an option, worth thinking about.
    As BTAS, which started all this. If it is released in english on another region , surely that's better than having no whole series box sets at all.

Let the discussions start again!

2. ZorBrak

ZorBrak I AM A BUFFET OF MANLINESS.

My only question is, if WB is the ONLY major company who has no plans for box tv sets, why aren't people throwing rocks at the WB execs yet? come one people we have to get mean! :p

3. James Harvey

That's my beef, too. Yes, WB is releasing the Root TV mini-series in one volume - but it's a mini-series! What about a regular series. They are all the rage right now...and WB should be jumping on board.

4. Calhoun07

Calhoun07 It's Me

Well, it would be hard to put out a "best of set" of Roots, but at least it's start. After all, they didn't put out all of the V mini series in one set.

BTW, there has been talk that we MIGHT see a V series set. I think it depends on the sales of V Final Conflict, tho, but a V series set would be a step in the right direction for WB.

5. GL2k2

GL2k2 Savage Dragon

My question is, is it possible to put more episodes on one DVD? :wakko:

6. The Penguin

The Penguin All Hail the King!
    Staff Member Moderator

I agree. Don't they look around at see what everyone else is doing? :mad: Has the thought ever occured to them that it's what people want. When these DVD come out I don't want 5 in production order and then 8 "best of" :mad:

ST:TNG, The Simpsons--good, popular shows and they don't have a "best of" they have plans for the whole dang thing! :mad:

On a side note, they also use normal DVD cases.

Wow a lot of mean smilies in that one :eek:

7. DerekPowers

DerekPowers Ruler of Gotham City, 2049

i totally agree. with a series as long as btas/tnba, we should be getting like 10 eps per dvd, but wb will never do that. they'd rather us fork over all that money for the 22 dvds itd take to cover the whole series.

and thats only if they actually decide to put the whole series on dvd.

8. James Harvey

The more episodes on DVD, the more compressed and crappy they'll end up looking. I think 6 (or maybe 8) is the idela number. There are some DVD releases with only 2 half hour episodes on them. The discs could easily have been double sided, though...making for 10 episodes...

9. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Amazing!
    Administrator

There's no reason to just opt for 6. At 22 minutes a pop (guessing that's the avg. runtime per episode; might be even less), that's just 2 hours and 12 minutes. More than that can fit on before compression becomes even remotely noticeable. Eight would be more reasonable. I'd be hesitant to put more than 3.5 hours of material per disc, but ten episodes (~3 hours, 40 minutes) could likely make it without any excessive compression creeping in.

There's a good chance that what Warner Bros. does with series like Friends and South Park might not apply to BTAS since the family home video dept. exists as nearly a distinct entity (from what I understand) than the remainder of WBHV. Presumably any BTAS releases would fall under the family umbrella.

10. Calhoun07

Calhoun07 It's Me

Flippers. Man, don't give WB any bad ideas. I don't want flippers of this show.

11. GL2k2

GL2k2 Savage Dragon

I think they could fit the entire season in one of those two disc Special Edition type sets. If they can't do that at least, then they suck.

12. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Amazing!
    Administrator

GL2k2: The first season consists of 65 episodes. That won't fit on a two disc set by any stretch of the imagination. Even with 13 episodes per disc, that'd be 5 discs, and it's unlikely they'd include that many eps on every DVD.

Warner no longer produces DVD-18 discs (as in, dual-sided, dual-layer). There's not much of a significant difference in space available between an RSDL and a dual-sided, single layer disc.

13. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Amazing!
    Administrator

BTW, Warner just announced a box set of the first season of Friends for release in the U.S. Release date appears to be at the tail end of April.

14. James Harvey

I can't believe that Warner is gonna go through with this. This is a box set I'm gonna pick up. Now I feel a bit more optomistic about Batman box sets...Can they actually be learning from their mistakes?

15. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Amazing!
    Administrator

For all we know, Warner might not think they've made any mistakes. Sales of the first Friends sets were very strong, though I'm not sure about the followup volumes. Their new approach might be to gauge interest in such sets by releasing best-of volumes at first.

16. Calhoun07

Calhoun07 It's Me

That's what they say. Do you honestly believe that? They just want to make more money off those episodes. Now they are selling the episodes from the best of set in a season set, forcing the fans to buy them twice. That's just wrong. Sales of seaons sets have been nothing but strong for everybody else across the board, there was nothing to guage but how greedy they wanted to be.

17. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Amazing!
    Administrator

Do I honestly believe they might take that approach? Sure. Warner hasn't said anything one way or the other. What I offered in my previous post wasn't intended to be anything more than a possibility, nor was it intended to have a positive or negative connotation.

I disagree that the release of the first season Friends set necessarily stems from greed.

18. Batgirl

Batgirl Dark Damsel

So when are these things coming out???

19. DisneyBoy

DisneyBoy Searchin' My Soul

Well, now with the news of the first season of "Friends" DVD package out, this may improve our chances of seeing B: TAS get the same treatment.

Realisitically though, "Friends" is enormously popular, and a huge ratings bonanza. Those DVD season sets are pure gold. B: TAS, on the other hand, hasn't been nearly as big ratings wise, has only been on air on and off these last two years, and is....a (gulp) "cartoon" in many execs eyes. Although I'm excited by the first DVD package and by the whole Friends thing, I don't think it'll improve the chances of seeing all the episodes released in DVD format. I suspect there may be one or two more DVD's released with maybe 6 or seven episodes, but not more than that :( , and that's only if the first DVD sells really well!

In our eyes, B: TAS seems like such a huge show...but in all honestly, I don't think the rest of the world really cares as much as we do...

20. SupergirlJenM

SupergirlJenM Member

They'll probably relase a few of these 5 episode disc sets and then put out season's. Just to make money. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.