"Batman Beyond Universe (2013 Ongoing)" Series Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Comics and Collectibles' started by James Harvey, Aug 21, 2013.

?

Rate and Comment - "Batman Beyond Universe"

1. *****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

An all-new series exploring the future of the DC Universe!

BATMAN BEYOND UNIVERSE #1

[​IMG]

Written by KYLE HIGGINS and CHRISTOS N. GAGE
    Art by THONY SILAS and IBAN COELLO

-The new series begins here with all-new creative teams and all-new adventure!
    -Now a freshman at Gotham University, Terry McGinnis’s role as Batman threatens his education and his life as a teenager. And when the Mayor is murdered, Terry’s life is thrown into even greater turmoil! Meanwhile, the Justice League must stop Superman when his powers rage out of control!

Comments?

2. CyclonatorZ

CyclonatorZ Active Member

3. The Talon

The Talon Active Member

Eeeeh, I was grossed out by BrucexBarbara in B:TAS, and I'm grossed out by it here. I just don't like the idea of Batman being in relationships or having kids at all while being Batman. If this happened after Bruce retired then I really wouldn't care, but this is just weirds me out too much.

4. darkdetective

darkdetective Former TZ Reporter/Reviewer

That's like a guy dating his son's ex. Ew.

5. JTMarsh

JTMarsh Wing Commander

Yeah, I never liked the idea of those two together for that exact reason.

6. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

As an older fan, to me this trope started in season 3 of "Batman" (live-action) when they added Babs/Batgirl to the mix and actually had her on a lunch date with Bruce at the start of one story, but it went no further than that.

Nearly a decade later, in the comics, Dick developed a crush on Barbara in those Robin/Batgirl team-ups, but of course he'd move on to Starfire (New Teen Titans, 1st series) without any real resolution. Dick/Babs has been on-again-off-again, more off than on, since Dick & Kory split. Aside from a mild crossover in Nightwing, Barbara & Dick haven't been together much since New 52 started 3 years ago. Then again, I haven't been following New 52 all that much myself, since dumping the last books I was reading in the New 52 universe.

I've always felt it should've been Dick & Barbara, not Bruce & Barbara. Heck, if you go back to the Sub-Zero movie, Dick & Babs were a couple by that point in BTAS continuity. The writers for Batman Beyond decided to throw a bone to the 60's, and well, here we are.......

7. BigFatHairyDeal

BigFatHairyDeal Defender of the Universe

DO NOT WANT.

I always gave Batman Beyond a pass for doing this, despite a bunch of reasons why I shouldn't, because I thought the writers of the show should have license to do shocking and unpredictable things with the Batman chronology. Yes, Bruce x Babs is creepy, but we're supposed to feel uncomfortable. It helped that their relationship was explained to us, but the nitty gritty details weren't shown. To me, it was as though the writers of the show did enough to floor us, but didn't wallow in it. I call it the right amount of shock.

This story? Well, it doesn't really introduce us to any new ideas, but it goes into enough gory (and apparently, literally gory, too) detail to build on our level of discomfort, and I would say that's excessive for my taste. Pass.

8. aiwac

aiwac Member

Batman Beyond: Mark of the Phantasm - I was wondering if anyone else was reading this DC storyline, and if so, what you thought of it.

[​IMG]

9. oranthal

oranthal Superman: A hero in life and in death

I saw the recommendation for this from another website and it delivers in a big way. For Batman Beyond animated series fans, you should give this a read through. There is a flashback scene that follows the events after the flashback scene from Return of the Joker.

Definitely check this issue out folks.

10. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

I never minded the idea of Bruce and Barbara dating. It was a neat twist in the standard Batman mythos and I like that the creators behind the cartoon took a chance. It was actually pretty gutsy. And I'm actually really looking forward to seeing how they delve into that whole controversial time. I never thought this comic would touch this. Even though I don't consider these comics in official continuity with the DCAU I find these to be a really fun 'What If' that's been really consistently entertaining.

11. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

The last digital and print issues will be out in November:
    BATMAN BEYOND 2.0 Ends in November, Co-Writers Discuss Ending, Final Surprises | Newsarama.com

Yeah, the last time a Batman Beyond comic was canceled, another one (this one) was announced/solicited seemingly when the last issue was released. I could use a break from Batman Beyond, but I get the feeling it will be very very short.

Has there been a Batman Beyond story that shows us what happened in between the assumed end of The New Batman Adventures and the opening scene of the pilot episode with older Bruce in the Beyond costume? That's all I want to see and honestly care about regarding Batman Beyond. The issues I paid attention to are this arc and issues where older Dick Grayson returned.

12. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

For those interested, aiwac has reviewed the latest Batman Beyond Universe story-arc "Mark of the Phantasm" for The World's Finest. Click here to check it out.