"Batman and Harley Quinn" Animated Release Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Aug 15, 2017.

?

Discuss "Batman and Harley Quinn" and leave a rating!

1. *****

20.0%
  2. ****1/2

6.7%
  3. ****

20.0%
  4. ***1/2

13.3%
  5. ***

13.3%
  6. **1/2

13.3%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

6.7%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. I've Got a Batman in my Basement

6.7%
  1. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Good point but Return of the Joker was awesome.

2. A Brisk Autumn Day

It was, but that whole movie seemed more natural to me than some of the PG-13 stuff in Batman and Harley Quinn. I don't have a problem with that stuff, it's just more of how it's used.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

It's been awhile since I thought about this movie but I think the point was always to make a comedy, not a typical DTV. But I wonder if this movie would have been better received if it was a stand alone with new designs instead of going back to the classic.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. A Brisk Autumn Day

I actually think you're 100% right, I bet it would have been, at least a little. Granted, this isn't me saying I dislike the movie, or dislike that it can be considered DCAU, I just think it has some problems. But I digress, that's been covered a few times.:sweat:

• Agree Agree x 1
    #124 A Brisk Autumn Day, Feb 5, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
  5. Revelator

Revelator In summary then: "Oh no."

Using the classic designs made the borrowings from "Harlequinade" and other episodes more obvious (and thus emphasized how derivative and pointless the film was), but different designs wouldn't have made weak gags funnier.

• Like Like x 1
  6. A Brisk Autumn Day

That's true in a way, but certain jokes would have seemed less out-of-universe for a lot of people if that movie was its own universe/style, and not being compared to the shows that came before it. It'd be easier to laugh instead of thinking, "...well, y'know, that's kinda odd for <insert character here>" Although I wasn't initially referring to the gags directly, as much as the PG-13 content in general.

7. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

It would have taken away a lot of needless distraction and talk about continuity and characters like Harley and Ivy being recast (even though Sorkin had long retired). I think that muddled the initial reception to movie more than anything. I agree with you it wouldn't have necessarily made the weak gags better but it would have been divorced from animation fan nostalgia and judged on its own merit the way the Batgirl prologue in Killing Joke was criticized. Imagine if Killing Joke was done in the Timm style, the negativity for that prologue would have soared.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. iammattie

iammattie Member

It may be a bit delayed, but Watchtower Database has finally released our timeline analysis of the movie

Edit: embedded media rather than hyperlinking

• Like Like x 1
    #128 iammattie, Feb 18, 2018 at 1:16 PM
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2018 at 2:59 PM