"Batman and Harley Quinn" Animated Feature News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by Yojimbo, Jul 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iammattie

iammattie Member

I suppose that could be it.

I'm just concerned that between that delivery, whatever it is going on with Batman's jaw in nearly all the stills we've seen, the fart joke mentioned in multiple reviews, Timm stating he didn't check continuity, and the weak art on the tie-in comic that this may not be as exciting as I've hyped myself for and may just be a quick cash grab.

2. Dallas Kinard

Dallas Kinard Active Member

I'm sure it's no where near as good as we all have been hyping ourselves for. I'm more interested/excited to see what comes after this regarding future DCAU content.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. mrbean1500

mrbean1500 Member

Your last statement pretty much sums up how I've felt about most of the latest dc animated films.
    I get hyped up and then when I finally get to watch the movie with some friends, it just doesn't live up to the quality of the older films. I really how they change something (not sure what) to liven up this animated line a little.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Pfeiffer-Pfan

Pfeiffer-Pfan Makin' Whoopee!

Just back from the screening, so I'll keep this completely spoiler free until the talk-back goes up.

Get ready for some pretty divisive reactions to this film. This is not Mask of the Phantasm 2, this is not a continuation of JLU or a dramatic exploration of Nightwing's detachment from Batman after the TNBA years. This is fun, silly and totally heartwarming in places. Some will hate it, some will like it.

I LOVED it.

It was so nostalgic to see the classic Bruce Timm (and up on the big screen) style, with Conroy and Lester doing what they do best. The jokes were genuinely funny and Harley Quinn stayed true to her character (although in a PG-13 manner). People will complain like mad about the scene between Nightwing and Harley, but it got great laughs out of the audience and unlike the Babs debacle from last year, I felt Timm earned this one.

I hope this sells well as I really want more DTV's like this (and hopefully a more serious ones also set in the DCAU).

I know I'll mostly be in the minority with this, but hey, I had a good time.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
  5. ShadowStar

ShadowStar Member

Saw the film a few hours ago and I have to agree with almost everything that Pfeiffer-Pfan has said. The film is truly a terrific comedy piece even it does cut loose where Harley's concerned (she's quite wild here). There are a few moments towards the very end that I feel let the film down, but overall I would say that this is the most appealing DC animated film I've seen in a long time!

P.S. If you want some advice...
    Stay through the credits!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  6. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

The talkback should be up early tomorrow morning! Very interested to see what people say for this one. It might be a little divisive...

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

I kind of had a feeling it would be, based on what we've seen. I hope everyone keeps an open mind to this interpretation of the Dark Knight and his world. It still looks like a pretty fun movie based on some comments here, so hopefully people have a good time regardless of any issues.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    #307 Greg91, Aug 14, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
  8. atomicbattery

atomicbattery Member

Yes, I think it might be a bit divisive.
    I suppose it comes down to how you feel about Harley and Ivy boob punching each other (is revealing boob punching a spoiler?).
    My theater was about one third full, larger than the 'Return Of The Caped Crusaders' screening I attended last year. The crowd laughed quite a bit. There were a few parents with kids (hmmm).
    I think 'Batman and Harley Quinn' may be remembered as something of an oddity. I thought the hit-to-miss ratio on its anarchic humor fell mostly in its favor. I'll be picking up the bluray.

• Like Like x 4
  9. iammattie

iammattie Member

I've been refreshing my amazon video library for the past 30 minute since and it's yet to show up. Anticipation is killing me

10. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

The talkback is now open for Batman and Harley Quinn. For those who haven't seen it, be warned spoiler discussion is allowed in that thread (no need for spoiler space, etc.) So, if you want to dive deep in the new animated film, head over there! This thread will also remain open for any related updates, etc.

Please note this thread will be closed on Aug. 29 with the film's physical media release.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.