1. If you are seeing non-stop CMP acceptance notifications, go here and we will help you troubleshoot:
    https://www.toonzone.net/forums/threads/non-stop-cmp-acceptance-notice.5663692/
    If you are seeing non-stop Privacy/ToS acceptance notifications, go here:
    https://www.toonzone.net/forums/threads/non-stop-privacy-terms-acceptance.5663702/
    If you are seeing threads with no posts at all, go here:
    https://www.toonzone.net/forums/threads/threads-with-no-content.5663811/
    Please note that these are separate issues. Posting in the correct thread will help us resolve the issue faster.
    Dismiss Notice

Asking voice actors to talk in cartoon voice at conventions

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by Team Tootie, Feb 22, 2018.

1. Team Tootie

Team Tootie New Member

This is my first con, so kinda of clueless how these things are. I'm going to be meeting Neil Ross and Michael Bell. I don't know if they charge, however it seems autographs and pictures are pricey. I have to stay on budget so I can't spend that much money especially since my one day ticket will be about $50, plus food and parking, etc.

I always wanted to hear their voices in person much more than an autograph/pic, and they have done it at cons. Just wondering if it was common to ask during a meet and greet?

Also, how much time do the actors spend with each fan?

Thanks

Fone Bone likes this.
  2. Zeether

Zeether HASSHA!!

It's sometimes common, but if the con is big don't expect to spend much time with VAs especially if they're well known. I don't usually ask them to do voice stuff because I feel like they do it enough on their job and I don't want to make them feel like they're at work when it's kind of like a day off for them.

Some VAs though will usually do the voice unprompted, like if you tell them they're great as [insert character]

Rabbitearsblog and Team Tootie like this.
  3. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Cosmic Eternity

If you're not sure, maybe try to check in with the people managing the signing before the event. They usually have the rules outlined in the convention brochures as well.

Team Tootie likes this.
  4. Team Tootie

Team Tootie New Member

Thanks for that. I'm coming up with ideas on what to say.

So the volunteers will ask if I want an autograph and then I pay them before heading to the celebrity?

How many items do they allow the sign? I'll bring something just in case.

Has anyone went more than once to a celebrity table? In case I changed my mind about getting an autograph.

#4 Team Tootie, Feb 22, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2018
  5. Ed Liu

Ed Liu Frog of Thunder
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Most of the questions you have are really going to depend on the size of the con you're going to. Bigger cons generally translate to longer lines, which means more "rules of engagement" and less time with a guest doing a signing. Cons like San Diego or New York Comic Con are enormous and you can expect a wait of more than an hour for maybe a minute or two for the signing and restrictions on how much stuff you can ask them to sign or do. Smaller cons mean you might be able to stand and chat with someone for a few minutes because they have nobody else waiting for them. As an example, I've never seen a signing for Gail Simone that was less than many dozens of people deep at NYCC, but I got to walk right up and chat with her for about 10 minutes when she was a guest at a smaller local con.

Are you OK with saying which con you're going to? Perhaps that might be a better way for someone to give a more specific answer, especially if they've been to that con and can give a boots-on-the-ground perspective.

(Also: merged the double post up there.)

Team Tootie likes this.
  6. Team Tootie

Team Tootie New Member

It's at Pensacon in Pensacola, FL. They'll have dealers, artists, etc. Heard there was 230,000 last year. It is a 3 day event.

Think they allow iphone video recording with the meet?

7. Dantheman

Dantheman Active Member

I've heard that the Simpsons VAs aren't allowed by Fox to do their voices for anything outside the show, so don't even ask if you ever meet them in person.

I heard this is why when Dan Castellanella appeared on Arrested Development and he said "D'oh!", he did it as un-Homer-like as possible,

8. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

That probably has to do with Nancy Cartwright doing Scientology promos as Bart Simpson. She basically ruined it for everyone.