"Arrow" Season Five Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Live-Action Movies and Television' started by The Penguin, Oct 5, 2016.

1. The Penguin

The Penguin All Hail the King!
    Staff Member Moderator

New episodes of Arrow return! Tonight at 8 p.m. ET on The CW.

[​IMG]
    "Dangerous Liaisons"
    Wednesday, April 26, 2017 @ 8 p.m. ET/7 CT on The CW
    Oliver, Team Arrow, ARGUS and the SCPD kick off a citywide manhunt for Adrian Chase.

2. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

Like, seriously? No one is commenting on this show anymore?

Yes, it's staggering to the finish line, but only because the show's writers don't know how to put together a coherent story and make it work the way it's meant to.

From what I can gather, there would suggest a link of some kind between Helix & Chase. That is to say, Felicity was played for a fool the whole time she was working with Helix.

I reasoned this out with my bro & his roommate yesterday after watching the episode On Demand that morning. The reason we don't see Cayden James' face yet is because 1) they haven't formally cast the part, 2) they want to save him and Helix as next season's big bad, or at least one of them, and 3) as usual, a script in the hands of someone named Speed Weed leaves some plot holes behind.

3. The Penguin

Staff Member Moderator

[​IMG]
    "Underneath"
    Wednesday, May 3, 2017 @ 8 p.m. ET/7 CT on The CW
    Things get intense when Oliver and Felicity are trapped in the bunker together.

4. The Penguin

Staff Member Moderator

[​IMG]
    "Honor Thy Fathers"
    Wednesday, May 10, 2017 @ 8 p.m. ET/7 CT on The CW
    Oliver returns to the mayor’s office and faces one of his most pressing issues yet – the forced release of dozens of violent criminals prosecuted by Adrian Chase.

5. hobbyfan

"Underneath"---finally got to watch it today because the jackasses at the cable company didn't make it available On Demand until a couple of days ago, and will pull it tonight. Anyway, they're teasing a resumption of Ollicity. Meh. Chase tries to scam his way into Ollie's son's life. More maritial issues 'tween Dig & Lyla. What a shock. Team Berlanti should be developing a daytime drama instead of boring some of us to death with artificial soap drama.

"Honor Our Fathers"--came in nearly halfway. Derek Sampson (Cody Runnels, to use his birth name) returns, gets taken down too easily. Chase finally gets busted, but the tease for next week tells us this was also too easy. Ollie acknowledges Chase is a few fries shy of a happy meal, something we already knew. Rene blows his chance at getting partial visitation rights to his daughter because of his guilt.

Thea returns. Wish she'd stuck around the full season.

6. Road to Gotham

Road to Gotham Well-Known Member

Promethues has been an outstanding villain this season.
    I feel they made a misstep when he got arrested. Should have waited until the last episode
    for that or have someone kill him.

7. hobbyfan

In my mind, they made a creative mistake with Prometheus, just as they did with Savitar over on The Flash. The producers' obsession with slowly drawn out season long mysteries has jumped the shark. Vigilante is MIA for now, being held back to season 6 (because the writers are mostly morons), and Cayden James' face was kept covered three weeks ago, because 1) they haven't really cast the part yet, and 2) he's also being held back for season 6, along with the rest of Helix. Meh.

After unsatisfying episodes the last two nights, I really don't want to think they'll try something similarly stupid tonight.

8. The Penguin

Staff Member Moderator

[​IMG]
    "Missing"
    Wednesday, May 17, 2017 @ 8 p.m. ET/7 CT on The CW
    Black Siren returns to help Chase.

9. hobbyfan

Finally watched this On Demand, as I'm on vaca from work this week.

Meh, very underwhelming. Divide & conquer abduction of Team Arrow (Wild Dog is still free, from the looks of it). Ollie has to recruit Nyssa, Merlyn, and Deathstroke to offset Team Talia. Chase has been her weapon all season, so I am interested in finding out the truth tomorrow night.

I will not rest until they adopt Agents of SHIELD's format for this season, which actually makes more sense. This is what happens when your writers get lazy and stop doing real research.

10. Otaku-sempai

Otaku-sempai Well-Known Member

It's a little late for that, now, don'tcha think? Maybe next season.

11. hobbyfan

That's what I meant, dude.

12. The Penguin

Staff Member Moderator

Season finale!

[​IMG]
    "Lian Yu"
    Wednesday, May 24, 2017 @ 8 p.m. ET/7 CT on The CW
    The battle between Oliver and Adrian Chase culminates in a final epic battle on Lian Yu.

13. hobbyfan

I don't really mind the cliffhanger finish, but I'm pretty sure we know how that will end. What I am not digging is Chase taking the coward's way out, and taking his own life, rather than let Oliver bring him home to stand trial, if that was even possible. In the real world, too many of the "bad guys" take that route, believing themselves to be martyrs, when they're certainly not. Chase fits into that category.

14. Otaku-sempai

Chase isn't just killing himself, though; he is also hurting Oliver again by (he thinks) murdering his friends. I suspect that they survive by taking shelter in the ARGUS facility.

15. hobbyfan

That would be the only solution, given how it's already leaked about who will return next season. Crazy Guggenheim co-wrote this ep with fellow EP Wendy "All I Need is a" Mericle, and neither one of them has a real clue. If they were looking for shock value, there was none to be had.

This itineration of Chase, what with what amounts to a stolen ID, IMPO, since Vigilante won't be back until next season, was too much of a coward at the end. Ollie had him pegged a couple of weeks back as being insane, but the dweeb was in denial. Bad storytelling.

Even worse is how all three shows this week ended on downers. I prefer happy endings.

16. Wounded_Dragon

Wounded_Dragon Active Member

Well, I liked Arrow's season finale a little better than Flash's but it's still a little meh. How many times can a season end on a cliffhanger before you go numb?

17. hobbyfan

In this case, as with Flash, there's no real cliffhanger, not when certain pertinent cast details have already been leaked for next season (i.e. Rick Gonzalez--Rene--being promoted to series regular), and Okatu-Sempai already sussed out the solution.

18. Road to Gotham

Season 5 was a BLAST(Pun Intended :p).

Captain Boomerang better have survived.
    Because I want to see him on FLASH.

19. Otaku-sempai

True. There are few things more rude in a superhero franchise than killing off another hero's rogues!

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Road to Gotham