"Aquaman" Feature Film Pre-Release News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Live-Action Movies and Television' started by Frontier, Feb 20, 2015.

1. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

I know a lot of people have a problem with this seemingly darker/more serious look for Aquaman, but keep in mind that many of the GA seemingly don't take him seriously. Snyder probably wants to go all out to insure that these same people leave the theater with newfound respect for the Atlantean.

I hate to say it, but having him shout, "Outrageous!" might not accomplish that. So honestly, I can see why they'd go for a much more serious version.

2. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

I'm glad we got a picture of Aquaman, but I don't see much here to be disappointed or excited about. Just like the first Wonder Woman picture, this picture looks tinted to me. And I can see "blonde" highlights in his hair. Ultimately I'm thinking the same thing I did when I first saw the picture of Wonder Woman and "analyzed" that. Is this the ACTUAL Aquaman costume/look, or is this a "PROTOTYPE" costume/look before he becomes and officially is Aquaman?

Assuming the Polynesian trait is incorporated into the character, couldn't Aquaman's mother still be Atlantian and his father be a Polynesian/Pacific Islander?

One of the few things that doesn't worry me is the portrayal of Aquaman. They MIGHT over do making him a "badass", but as far as I'm concerned anyone that can do this: http://youtu.be/DSpHbES1atQ or this: http://youtu.be/y0aDXbi8prk or can beat Batman in a fight, is already a "badass". I'm hoping the general audience will come away with (deserved) respect for Aquaman, but I wont be surprised if they also end up in complete denial of what they saw and still find ways to not take Aquaman seriously.

3. dmxx116

dmxx116 Well-Known Member

4. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

After Furious 7, I think James Wan has proven he can handle not only action really well, but has gotten a lot of attention to pretty much pick and choose whatever project he wants. Kind of like how Joss Whedon or the Russos got a lot of press and now likely in really high demand. And honestly having seen Furious 7 I think that James Wan could make a very epically cool looking Aquaman movie. Hopefully one that will make people shut up about doing stupid Aquaman parodies anymore. Like I want the Aquaman movie to be so big it makes whoever try making those jokes anymore just look like an ignorant outdated fool.

5. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Well-Known Member

6. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Well-Known Member

7. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

Not having seen the other Fast and the Furious movies, I really did like Furious 7 and yeah I'm all for James Wan going to direct Aquaman. Granted there's a difference between car chases and likely a lot of pricey underwater effects to get Aquaman right with a different sort of useage of CGI but for someone whose first big movie was Furious 7 (as in a huge epic blockbuster movie) James Wan did well and I'd be for him working his magic on a DC property. Especially since seems like he's the first "fun" director who likely won't just want to go super grim and gritty with the material. I just hope for an awesome action epic showcase that finally makes people stop treating Aquaman as a joke. Since if this film doesn't do it for general audiences I can't think of anything that will.

8. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

Glad they're pulling together their schedule. I haven't exactly been a huge fan of his stuff, as I'm not a fan of modern horror or the F&F franchise. However, he's clearly a safe director at this point. It should suit him nicely.

9. the greenman

The King of Atlantis is finally coming to the big screen.

[​IMG]
    Synopsis:

Aquaman Movie News: Director and Writer Confirmed, Official Synopsis

Director: James Wan
    Screenwriter: Kurt Johnstad
    Release Date: July 27th, 2018

Supporting roles for Mera, Orm, Black Manta and THE TRENCH?
    AQUAMAN Movie Supporting Characters Revealed?

Rumored co-stars: Karl Urban as Orm
    http://www.slashfilm.com/rumor-aquaman-noam-murro-karl-urban/

10. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Looking forward to seeing more of Momoa's take on Aquaman, and hoping that he and Wan can finally change the general public opinion of Aquaman through the DCCU :).

Also really looking forward to seeing who will be playing Black Manta and Mera :D.

11. Magmaster12

Magmaster12 Well-Known Member

I'm not I still think Momoa was probably the worst choice they could have with.

12. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

So long as he's not playing Aquaman as Khal Drogo, I can probably live with it :sweat:.

13. the greenman

14. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

While I'm sure Momoa's Aquaman will be treated very seriously within the actual DCEU, though I hope there is some levity to him as well, and I wouldn't mind if he uses his telepathy to call on some aid from the sea and someone asks him if he "just talked to fish" only to get a glare back from Aquaman in return :p.

15. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

On one hand, I absolutely hated Wrath of the Titans. Horrible, horrible film.
    Conjuring was really good though. I hope the writing quality is more towards the latter.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. the greenman

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. Magmaster12

Magmaster12 Well-Known Member

I should be annoyed but I don't care about any upcoming DC movies aside from Wonder Woman.

19. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

As far as Big Bads for the movie go, it was always going to be between Ocean Master or Black Manta, though while Manta is Arthur's archenemy, there's that personal familial conflict with Orm for them to mine so I wouldn't be surprised if they go for him as the big main villain :cool:.

Though I wonder if Manta might end up being connected to Ocean Master in order to factor him into the movie o_O?

• Agree Agree x 1