"Aquaman" Feature Film Pre-Release News & Discussion (Spoilers)

• We have upgraded to Xenforo 2. We've decided to open the forums back up while we configure the theme and plugins. Thanks for your patience.

Latest News

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Ratings
10,909 45
Sherman Oaks CA

AQUAMAN
Release: July 27, 2018 October 5, 2018 December 21, 2018

Who needs a shirt
?

#unitetheseven

Holy crud, Aquaman :eek:!!!

And the trident :D!

Honestly, I think Momoa, and by extension Aquaman's movie-design, looks pretty good from just this one image. While it's a little colorless, much like a lot of the DCCU costume so far, it still has some classic Aquaman orange on the armor and the pants look like they're green. Not to mention it keeps Aquaman's belt ;).

I wonder if we'll get a "Unite the Seven" poster for each member of the League? Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman would be obvious, but I wonder if we'll get to see Cyborg and Flash in-costume? And if they'll reveal who Green Lantern is?

Last edited by a moderator:

the greenman

Jul 24, 2006
Ratings
2,895 5 1
the point of no return
Holy crud, Aquaman :eek:!!!

And the trident :D!

Honestly, I think Momoa, and by extension Aquaman's movie-design, looks pretty good from just this one image. While it's a little colorless, much like a lot of the DCCU costume so far, it still has some classic Aquaman orange on the armor and the pants look like they're green. Not to mention it keeps Aquaman's belt ;).

I wonder if we'll get a "Unite the Seven" poster for each member of the League? Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman would be obvious, but I wonder if we'll get to see Cyborg and Flash in-costume? And if they'll reveal who Green Lantern is?
Well, this is a nice surprise. Like I said the colors of the comics can translate well if costume designers are smart enough. They just see bright colors and don't think how to translate them correctly. Anywho, I love it.

At first I thought this was for the solo film, which is not possible yet. I instantly thought 'Seven Seas'. Yeah looking good, but yeah now we need the other members who we haven't even heard from yet like Cyborg and Flash.

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
May 18, 2006
Ratings
895 1
East Northport
Honestly I still prefer the Aquaman design from Justice League/Justice League Unlimited but this does look good. Aquaman still appears to be gruff and respectable and hopefully with this depiction people will FINALLY stop treating the guy like a joke. And yeah I'm interested in the entire "seven" they're talking about. We obviously have Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman and Aquaman and I know that Cyborg is going to be in this movie to. So I'm assuming the others are Flash and Green Lantern who will likely at least be making cameos throughout. So... actually thinking about it this is reminding me of the beginning of the Justice League TV series where you obviously have an established Batman following in the continuity of the follow up from Superman's last big adventure and then connecting the other pieces. Which hey would be a way to make a pre Justice League movie all take place in one film. Of course thinking about it Civil War is also likely going to have this sort of set up as well. Since that film will have Captain America, Iron Man, Black Widow, Falcon, Black Panther, Spider-Man and... I'm sure they can squeeze in another hero in the mix and make a seven focused promotional image. Though Marvel does have the advantage of having most of the heroes established over DC but hey DC does have the advantage of building more buzz with this movie first as we're going to have to likely go through Age of Ultron and Ant-Man before we get a lot of major Civil War buzz. Still good image and I like what they're building to and hope to see more of these kind of pictures soon for everyone else of the seven.

firefoxprime

90s = Golden Years
Jan 8, 2010
Ratings
Fort Myers, FL
Which is funny because across the web people seem to like it.
Yeah.......I guess.

You know how a direct transfer from comic to movie may be a bit silly by mainstream terms (wolverine's colorful costumes for example)? Its like the only way to take Aquaman seriously is by revamping him into what we see now. Grim dark and stern looking. The man is a king though, so whatevs.

I actually liked his interpretation in that recent JL movie. Never had a problem with Aquaman, and his multiple animated incarnations(never read his comics). Its pretty obvious The mood and tone of the Dark Knight Trilogy is seeping into the DCCU....just a given. I'm open to this new version, but in my opinion, he looks weird. As in not similar to what I'm acustomed to.

Its kinda like those 2 GiJoe movies. Saw both in theaters during their respective releases. I enjoyed Rise of the Cobra, and was completely aware it was based on an 80s cartoon. Most people didn't like that aspect, so the sequel was retooled into just another run of the mill action flick. I enjoyed Retaliation, but it lost the personality of the first Joe movie. Hasbro wanted to increase their bottomline, so they fed the mainstream audience/least common factor).

Silverstar

Rock the Dragon
Jun 4, 2007
Ratings
Cartoonland
I like the badass Conan of the sea look for Aquaman, All he needs now is the left hand hook and he's good to go.
Nah, too 90's.

I personally like the Brave and the Bold version of Aquaman ("Outrageous!"), but I don't think that depiction would fit what DC's going for here. Optimism? Mirth? We can't have that.

I don't have a problem with a Pacific Islander Aquaman. Nowhere in Arthur's bio and mythos does it say that Aquaman has to be Caucasian and blond, just a scion of Atlantis. Where is it written that all Atlanteans (or capes, for that matter) have to be white?

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Ratings
10,909 45
Sherman Oaks CA
Nah, too 90's.

I personally like the Brave and the Bold version of Aquaman ("Outrageous!"), but I don't think that depiction would fit what DC's going for here. Optimism? Mirth? We can't have that.

I don't have a problem with a Pacific Islander Aquaman. Nowhere in Arthur's bio and mythos does it say that Aquaman has to be Caucasian and blond, just a scion of Atlantis. Where is it written that all Atlanteans (or capes, for that matter) have to be white?
I'd say the best way they could go with Aquaman's depiction is to use how he currently is in the comics. Not as bombastic or comedic as he is in Brave and the Bold, but not devoid of levity or optimism and can sometimes be just as dramatic. I think the best of both worlds would be to combine that depiction with Peter David's 90's Aquaman (which I'm getting a big sense of here) for his portrayal in the DCCU :).

Honestly "He was the victim of racial discrimination because he was a white guy with blonde hair and blue eyes" was always a really stupid plot point. Bring on Pacific Islander Aquaman!
I'd never had a problem with it since Arthur's a half-breed and Atlanteans are often depicted as Xenophobic to a certain degree...but I see your point, even if a blonde hair and blue eyes Aquaman will always be how I imagine the character :sweat:.