"Apple & Onion" News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Cartoon Network/Boomerang Cartoon Forum' started by MDawg, Mar 30, 2017.

1. Elijah Abrams

Elijah Abrams Just deal with it!

Where have you heard about George Gendi being difficult to work with?

2. ThisGuy24

ThisGuy24 Member

I watched the preview too and it doesn't give regular show vibes at all. More like Uncle grandpa.

3. Checkerboard

Checkerboard THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS

About the promotion... They're starting to promote it late, BUT maybe they'll be promoting it 24/7 in the coming days before its premiere. Not everything needs to be promoted half a year in advance and not always does it work. Obviously they wanted to drop Unikitty first instead of promoting several new shows at once. And that's fine as long as they'll catch up and give Apple and Onion a chance and won't forget about it like they've sometimes done with certain shows.

About the show... Listen, I'll be honest.

The content itself isn't entirely bad. I could watch it, I guess. Not stellar, but there were worse shows aired on CN over the years - original or not.

The presentation, though? That is something I genuinely have a problem with. It's Problem Solverz all over again and that show didn't last long, because I would argue it was visually off-putting. Apple and Onion similarly invokes that LSD-esque feel. Teen Titans Go! and Uncle Grandpa are colorful, and I find them borderline of what I find watchable, but they're still within the range and not over the top. Apple and Onion, like some shows on Adult Swim, is too saturated for my taste. It's not outright acidic like Problem Solverz, Secret Mountain Fort Awesome, Superjail or Mr. Pickles, but it's getting there.

I don't think it really fits on CN. There's just something "off" about it in the context of everything else CN is airing right now. I'm not expecting more than two seasons at most, sorry.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

Is this sneak peek the same episode that premiered on the app months ago?

5. NeoplanDan

NeoplanDan Wiki Mod Editor

Not exactly, it’s probably for the upcoming episodes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. ThisGuy24

ThisGuy24 Member

I mean not a year in advance but a few months in advance they should have done that.

7. ToonsJazzLover

ToonsJazzLover Active Member

Didn't really expect the show to premiere so soon, but I'll be watching when it premieres.

I'm surprised it's premiering before Pinky Malinky, another cartoon whose creators used to work for Gumball.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. jaylop97

jaylop97 Nickelodeon Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

The airdate definitely surprised me as well, I would have expected a summer release to be honest. Likewise, since this is the first CN show of 2018 I will catch it when it premieres.

• Like Like x 1
  9. DeanBurrito25

DeanBurrito25 Well-Known Member

Wait a sec, it premieres later this month? Wow. They must be saving the advertising frenzy for Craig of The Creek. Still, the animation pipeline utilizing Flash is less time consuming than "traditional" overseas animation so I get it.

The intro is nice and simple. I enjoy all of the subtle musical flourishes like the alarm increasing in volume at the beginning and the officer tapping on the jail cell to a beat - the latter made me smile. Also, I see CN has opted to using its own logo in the show graphic instead of the "A Cartoon Network Original" byline they've been slapping on their other shows like We Bare Bears, Steven Universe, Adventure Time and Uncle Grandpa. It looks similar to what Nickelodeon and Disney have been doing for years.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Nexonius

Nexonius Ten, count em', ten years!

Steven Universe is the only still running CNS show that doesn't have the byline.

11. DeanBurrito25

DeanBurrito25 Well-Known Member

Oh yeah. Well, the 2010 CN logo is compact enough to be used like that. It looks nice.

I could see Apple & Onion becoming a decent successor to Regular Show if the show plays its cards right. It might be too soon to tell right now but it could become a modest hit. Again, I wonder if the scant advertising is due in part to the fact that CN is saving its energy for Craig or Summer Camp Island. I'd place my cards on the former personally, but that's neither here nor there.

12. Elijah Abrams

Elijah Abrams Just deal with it!

According to CN's press release for Apple & Onion, via thefutoncritic, the show will be a limited run series, much like Over The Garden Wall, Long Live The Royals, and the fifth season of Samurai Jack.

13. NeoplanDan

NeoplanDan Wiki Mod Editor

So I’m guessing that the show will only last about a month, well so much for not seeing this as another long term series like the others.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

14. JTOONSAnimation

JTOONSAnimation Active Member

I like the show's different animation. MANY of Cartoon Network's shows from this decade have the SAME animation. I'm hoping as they move on with shows we had have a variety of styles.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Gatordragon

Gatordragon Noble, graceful, scornful.

Wait, so Apple and Onion is just a miniseries? Dangit. I thought it had potential to be an ongoing. So much for that.

Now I'm wondering if any of the other announced series are also miniseries.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

It’s a mini-series? Wha? That still doesn’t explain the lack of advertising.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Toon4Thought

Toon4Thought Giving a slightly closer look.

It's also worth noting that apparently the show is waiting for a second season pickup. If it was just a miniseries, that wouldn't even be a possibility... I'm confused.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Rad's Kittens

Rad's Kittens Well-Known Member

I see two possibilities: Either CN promotes it as a miniseries in order to test the waters before deciding whether or not to renew it, or they've quietly canceled the show without telling the crew in advance.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    #38 Rad's Kittens, Feb 8, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  19. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

Well... That's a surprise. I wasn't expecting that.

20. EdCNPowerpuffDrama

EdCNPowerpuffDrama Active Member

A 1 minute preview can be seen in this youtube video:

(1:11)