Anyone care to tell me what happened to The Anime Network?

Discussion in 'The Anime Forum' started by ZZenigundam, Jun 25, 2018.

1. ZZenigundam

ZZenigundam Member

I was subscribed to it from late 2005 until mid 2006 (temporary switch from Cablevision to DirecTV- who carried it- back to Cablevision),

and I decided tonight to add it back after these years, particularly because the dub site I use isn't running right on my PS4, I thus need a new laptop, and TAN is only $6.95/month.

Ok... so it's no longer a 24/7, it's an SVOD service. It plays only subbed anime, and that's a deal breaker because I grew up on dubs and can't bear to watch subs. The old Anime Network played only dubs obviously. And to make things worse, there are only a handful of series on there, most of them with mediocre reviews online.

What gives? Wth happened? I feel like I just got duped out of $6.95 And there was no information out there for me to know about all of these bad changes. Why did they do all of this?

2. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

It was started by ADV Films, and since ADV is no longer around, the network switched ownership.

Anime Network has recently been transformed into a new streaming service called HIDIVE.

3. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

The last time you tuned in was 2006? Didn't the anime market collapse in 2007/2008? The rise of "Crunchyroll" in 2008/2009 probably was also a factor in the decline of the Anime Network.

Man, cable has changed so much since then...

4. homeofthebadguys

Last I heard, a company called "Valkyrie Media Partners" owns Anime Network, and the linear channel shut down around the time ADV films went bankrupt.

5. Golden Geek

Golden Geek Gera Gera Po

I wouldn't be surprised if The Anime Network is completely gone by the end of the year. Back in 2011/2012, I used to watch their free on-demand service, and they had plenty of dubs and rotating old/new shows from Sentai Filmworks. The dubs completely disappeared at one point, and even now we only get maybe one dub a month.

I highly recommend giving HIDIVE a shot. For $4.99 a month you get Sentai's entire back catalog, subtitled and dubbed, as well as new releases/simuldubs.

6. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

I really enjoyed Anime Network after I got my first DVR cable box with VOD features. I would routinely check back post-ADV, and it seems they would have shows on there now and again from Sentai Filmworks. Mostly subbed, but rarely dubs.