Animation Revelation's Top 65 Animated Series of All Time

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by chalmers, Jun 27, 2011.

1. chdr

chdr Active Member

^ This why I don't really like when The Simpsons ranks so high in these lists. I know that Simpsons was really good once and was really influential back in the day, but when nearly half of the show's seasons are bad, I don't think they should be swept under the rug like that.

2. Martin Juneau

Martin Juneau Cartoon/comic-artist

The folks of Animation Relevation did a very great job to selected the shows and cartoons programs and for each of their reasons. It's already hard to put our own "Top list" because it's always debatable. It's look professionnal and made by individuals who really like the works and efforts the animations industries does.

3. chalmers

chalmers Role Model

I don't know, I think in regards to The Simpsons it deserves to have that spot, based on the sheer amount of influence it has. Think about it, it not only influenced animation, evidenced by South Park and Family Guy, but also live action comedy. There are many stand-up comedians that have listed the show as a favorite, and live-action comedy shows like The Office and The Daily Show are very much influenced by it. And that's not to mention all the phrases and idioms from it that have entered the public lexicon, so much so that news organizations have used the terms.

In a lot of ways, it's pretty much the SNL of animation. Several of the shows' writers/producers/directors are well known, and it's a job that is desired among writers in Hollywood(seriously, many of the shows' staff have mentioned how lucky they are to work on the show). Yeah, just like SNL it can easily be said that the current show is weak, but that mediocre quality still doesn't really diminish it's influence. Remember, the 500th episode airs this next season; think of all the promotion that 20th Century Fox is going to give it, including those little bumps with celebrities congratulating the shows' success. It's happened before.

4. Desensitized

Desensitized Old School!

Man, the first ten years of the Simpsons is not only awesome, but arguably the most influential show in television history. Some bad seasons made by different people can't really taint what the classic era staff did. As for how the lesser material affected it's ranking? Well it's #3.

That's how insanely good that material is. It could hold up 40 years of bad material. (I hope I didn't jinx it)

5. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

The other thing is, I disagree with the popular notion to dismiss half of The Simpsons' run as crap. As in, there are no good episodes or even moments in half its run, and therefore it doesn't belong on a best list because only 50% of the series is good. That's not true. There are quite a few funny outings and jokes in seasons 11-present, just not as many. The show isn't what it once was, and there are definitely bad episodes in the post-classic era, but much like Ren & Stimpy that I defended earlier, it's not like the last ten years of the show have been worthless without exception.

6. Rurouni Kenshin

Rurouni Kenshin Kenshin will be back!

This list inspired me to watch the first two episodes of Hunter X Hunter. It was okay but I'm assuming it must get alot better if it's on the list. Also I agree that Teen Titans should have been on the list instead of Baccano but I for the most part I think this is a great list.

7. ensatsu-ken

ensatsu-ken "Come and get it!"

The first 10 or so episodes of HXH are kind of slow. They are decent enough but pretty generic shonen stuff compared to the rest of the series. After that the series gradually gets more and more interesting, and reaches its pinnacle of quality with the York Shin City arc. I especially love how deep that arc goes in terms of fleshing out the whole structure of the criminal underground world within that city. Its pretty great stuff.

8. Rurouni Kenshin

Rurouni Kenshin Kenshin will be back!

Sounds great although I'm just concerned about getting into a show that didn't get a conclusion of any kind. However I guess there is the manga.

9. Undrave

Undrave Forever Burning Heart!

Yeah there is the manga haha :anime:

...:sweat:

See the thing is...It doesn't have a conclusion either :sweat:

Togashi keeps going on these like...two year long hiatus, comes back and produces a volumes worth of chapters and dissapears again. It's an awesome read though, I especially enjoyed the Greed Island arc myself.

But one thing HxH does great is grab some element of Shonen and totally surprise you and then start going into the depth of it. Greed Island is like...70% about training but it is SO technical and developped you can almost believe its real! It's just that amazing! And the whole system on Greed Island itself is just great.

10. ABrown

ABrown Active Member

Ya know what shows I also would've liked to have seen mentioned are Muppet Babies along with Phineas And Ferb. . Muppet Babies is one of the rare cartoons of the 80's that actually stands the test of time. And while my interest in Phineas And Ferb has declined some in recent months, it's one of the best cartoons I've ever seen.

#310 ABrown, Jul 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2011
  11. Six Year Man

Six Year Man Member

Do the Geek Cast Radio guys still post here? Have they seen this list?

12. Justy

Justy Now you see me...now you don't

I think I could make a case for both American Dragon: Jake Long AND Kim Possible being on this list for various reasons, but I guess it's a matter of taste. Though prompted by fan desire, KP's fourth season is more than fanservice. The only real element that's applicable is the fact that Kim and Ron are a couple. The episodes continue the trend of "un-perfecting" Kim and elevating Ron from goofy friend and sidekick to equal partner that was begun late in Season 2. Granted, there are a few weak plots in there, but I think the positives outweigh the negatives and the series is better off that Season 4 exists.

The real tragedy here is how good American Dragon: Jake Long COULD have been. Disney's directives during Season 2 changed the plot and their decision to cancel the show halted projected storylines for Season 3, including one involving Rose's twin. Sure would have liked to see what it would have been like.

One show you may have missed that I think deserved consideration is Braceface. The series examines the life of a typical early teenage girl and the issues she faces with family, freinds, school, and everyday life. It's done with great humor, wit, and honesty with a noticable lack of preachiness. The characters are strong and the voice acting is excellent. Produced by Alicia Silverstone (who also provided the voice of main character Sharon Spitz for the first two of three seasons), the show was a significant departure from what was being aimed at pre and early teen girls at the turn of the last decade. Unfortunately, only about half of the series run of 78 episodes were aired in the U.S.

#312 Justy, Jul 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2011
  13. capfan1

capfan1 Member

I don't see X-MEN the animated series or spiderman tha animated series or the 1967 spiderman toon?X-men the animated series was sort of the beginning of great superhero shows and is definately better than the DC batman and justice leaugue shows.The Avengers new series is 65,that show just started but it should be at the top of the list.This list like many others are based on a few peoples opinions and really dont mean anything.Really suprised popeye and he-man,GI joe among other popular toons didn't make it.

14. Bloody Marquis

Bloody Marquis Quite smashing, eh?

We chose not to let nostalgia have its way with our list. Honestly, other than childhood sentiment, there is nothing about those shows that we would genuinely consider good by objective standards.

A trendsetter should not be considered the best. That would be like saying Bob Kane's the best Batman writer or The Great Train Robbery is the best Western film.

Why?

Because the typo-laden words of someone who doesn't give reasons to back up his opinions surely mean much more.

Popularity does NOT mean quality. We absolutely cannot stress this enough.

15. Sadsic

Sadsic Member

that is exactly the type of think that needs to go into making one of these lists, animation or not. i still wish the venture brothers made it though!

16. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

One of the better "best animation lists" I've ever seen. Has a lot of my favorite shows, and the reasons some shows didn't make the list are understandable for those that don't let nostalgia impair their judgement.

17. Jave

Jave Beware of the SPLAT
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Let me give a reminder that this list is a collection of opinions of several people and by no means should be considered "official", yet I've allowed this thread because the list itself is very well written and has lead to very good discussion.

However, posts that simply state things like "this doesn't mean anything" are considered flamebait and won't be tolerated. Likewise those who reply to those posts with snark and rudeness, as replying to flamebait is also in violation of the rules.

Take this simply as a reminder of keeping things civil. Nobody here has crossed the line yet but some have gotten pretty close, and if things get ugly from now on, I won't hesitate on sending infractions.

Resume discussion now.

18. Darklordavaitor

Darklordavaitor Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Thank you, Jave. I hope you won't mind if I make one more comment on the subject, and then we can drop it.

No, no one on staff are "professionals". I might be the closest to having credentials, since I write for toonzone's blog, but even then I'm not exactly pulling my weight on there as of now, due to my dedication to AR and other issues in my life. And it's fair if you don't like the list or consider the it to matter. Everyone's entitled to their opinions, and I've even made it public that there are a couple of choices we made as a group that I would have done differently.

But if you want a list like this to be made by a bunch of professional animators or critics, perhaps one ala Sight & Sound's top ten films and directors polls, you might be in for disappointment.

To get a group of well-respected writers, directors, storyboard artists, animators, and more to sit down and make a collective list would be a little harder to do than you'd think. The animation process takes a good while to accomplish, and for most people involved in said process, their work is never done.

Meanwhile, there just aren't that many critics for animation in particular, and not many more especially well-versed in the artform either. When you get a group of journalists who mostly recall what animated series they watched as a kid to make a list like this, you get one like Wizard's or IGN's, which were full of 80's cartoons that don't hold up and popular recent series that aren't necessarily brilliant in the long run.

I'd like to consider the writers on tz and even AR to be animation critics, however. We're all big on the method of putting drawings, or sometimes collected pixels, or even clay figures onto screen, keep up with the scene, share our thoughts when something we like or don't like appear, and share them with the world. We may not be paid for our blog entries, but we care deeply about our subject material.
    Every ranking we added onto this list was given a lot of thought, because we just wanted to make the best list possible.

Sometimes, we had to trust the judgment of our staff members when we decided where something would be ranked just because we haven't seen the series in question yet. Other times, we had to accept that a show one of us are not big on should be given a fairly high ranking due to overall quality. And in some cases, like the Fleischer and Disney cartoons, it took serious thought about whether or not we should find a spot for them on here. But looking back on the list now, there's very few things I'd change.

I know others will disagree with that, but that's fine. We're not going around telling everyone we know that this list is the end all, be all of animation, and if you disagree, you should die. Because that's just not true. At the end of the day, this list is just what a bunch of cartoon fans think are good shows that remind us of why we still watch them.

Nothing more, nothing less.

19. Fanaticalbutbusy

I know this hasn't been posted in for a few days, but I'd like to say I really enjoyed reading this list, especially the honorablle mentions list. The use of logic and reason is much more extensive than any "best of" list I've ever seen. The exclusion of 80's nostalgia series is wonderful to see. I'm very eager at the idea of an updated list in a few years.

20. BlackoutCreature

BlackoutCreature Well-Known Member

Well this thread and the list seems to have been quietly forgotten about on the board, but I checked Animation Revelation's website and the Top 10 is up, as well as explanations for some things didn't make the list, so I thought I would comment on all of that. As said already, the list is their opinions, these comments are only mine. I mean, my opinions do carry more weight because I'm the most important person in the universe, but they're still just opinions none the less.

10. Yu Yu Hakusho - don't really watch anime so I won't comment.

9. Jonny Quest - I don't know, it had its moments, and it's still fun to watch at times, but it always felt to me like its entire appeal is pure nostalgia, which is the excuse we were given for why shows like Transformers, 90's X-Men and 90's Spider-Man were left off the list (a choiced I agreed with by the way). I really don't see how it's all that memorable a show if you weren't a kid in the 60's growing up watching it.

8. Cowboy Bebop - again, anime, won't comment.

7. Ed, Edd and Eddy - loved the show, should've made the list, would've never considered it for the top 10 though.

6. Monster - more anime, moving on...

5. King of the Hill - really? I gotta say, I've never seen the appeal of this show, let alone how it could make the top 5 of this kinda list.

4. Rocky & Bullwinkle - damn straight. Now here's a show from the 60's that stands the test of time.

3. The Simpsons - no surprise, but I don't really agree with its placing. It's write-up gushes about its influence on 90's culture in general, and I won't disagree. If this list was made in 2000, I wouldn't argue its place in the slightest. But the list is made in 2011, and those last 11 years have NOT been kind to the show. I would argue that its place on this list is as much due to nostalgia as quality.

2. Batman: The Animated Series - wow, such a little know, unexpected and obscure choice for number 2. I mean, I doubt anybody on this website has ever even heard of this show. I applaud you for thinking so far outside the box here.

So seriously, show of hands, who didn't see this coming? You in the back with your hand up, really? Oh, ok, you just wanted to use the bathroom.

Ok, smarkiness aside, definitely deserved its place on the list.

1. Looney Tunes - works for me.

Now onto the "Shows that didn't make it" page -

Your 80's nostalgia favorites (Transformers, GI Joe, etc.)/90's X-Men and Spider-Man - I'll group these together since they were more or less left off the list for the same reason. Yes they're nostalgic. Yes they helped either create or introduce you to a franchise, they might've even help create the franchise. They might even still be fun to watch in there own way. But judged on their own merits they don't hold up well, and I appreciate that the makers of this list chose to put aside their nostalgia for the most part and judge the shows on their actual quality. I just wish they would've been more consistent with this because I'm just not buying that Jonny Quest at number 9 pick.

Too soon to rank - don't have a problem with this, but I don't think Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes is any older then any of the shows that were mentioned for this, and it made the list.

Samurai Jack - disagree with this completely. One of my favorites of all time. But this list is based on opinions and I'll respect that.

Teen Titans - not only do I completely disagree with this but I find it hard to respect the reasoning for why it was left off. It chose to be a completely different superhero cartoon then anything that had been on TV before and succeeded. I regularly found it exciting, entertaining and funny, and honestly much more interesting then its rather bland paint by numbers contemporary Justice League. Apparently a lot of other people did too considering it was the top rated show on Cartoon Network for most of its run and still has a rather large fanbase on the internet. If the people making the list didn't like it, that's fine. To call it "objectively bad" is wrong and offensive.

Venture Bros. - one of my favorite shows of all time, and in my opinion the greatest "adult" cartoon ever (yes, better then The Simpsons, Family Guy and South Park). I honestly don't feel it lost a single step during season 3 and has only gotten better since. A shame it didn't make the list.