Animaniacs (2020) News & Discussion Thread

• We have upgraded to Xenforo 2. We've decided to open the forums back up while we configure the theme and plugins. Thanks for your patience.

Latest News

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Ratings
2,231 4
Framingham, MA
I also wondered why do we even need a reboot for Animaniacs? What happens if it came out like Wabbit for Looney Tunes (although I honestly don't have an opinion on that show since I've never seen the show, but I've heard lots of mixed things about that show) or as someone pointed out, might become something like Teen Titans Go?
Change is scary and I think the show coming back is a good thing. I fully expect to like it better than the original since both humor and animation have evolved since the 1990's. But if we reject all new relaunches of a show for fear of it being terrible, we could be missing out on some pretty special things (such as the DuckTales remake). My question isn't so much about why they are bringing the show back, and more like why they may be starting over from scratch instead of just continuing where they left off.

Yum

Dec 29, 2016
Ratings
Pennsylvania, USA
hooplastudios.blogspot.com
Change is scary and I think the show coming back is a good thing. I fully expect to like it better than the original since both humor and animation have evolved since the 1990's. But if we reject all new relaunches of a show for fear of it being terrible, we could be missing out on some pretty special things (such as the DuckTales remake). My question isn't so much about why they are bringing the show back, and more like why they may be starting over from scratch instead of just continuing where they left off.
I think it's likely they'll pick the show up from where it left off seeing as how Spielberg put the show on Hulu rather than Cartoon Network, as Hulu has the original episodes from the first run. Where my fears lie is in the production crew; I wanted WB animation to take the Sonic Mania approach and incorporate fan talents into the show: Doug and Rob Walker be head writers, Joanna Davidovich(Monkey Rag) be animation supervisor, and Scott Bradlee or Christophe Heral be composer.

Rabbitearsblog

Jul 6, 2011
Ratings
254 6
United States
I agree with this. As you mentioned, there has been some good reboots over the years (2002 reboot of He-Man and 2011 reboot of Thundercats) and this reboot of Animaniacs could bring something new and interesting to the table like making fun of modern day society or actually educate kids in this generation. It could also prove to the audience that Animaniacs can be relevant to any decade instead of just being relevant to the 90s.

DeanBurrito25

Jan 15, 2009
Ratings
666 4
mattdeanart.com
Hmm. The fact that the original writers won't be returning (or haven't been officially announced to be returning) does put a bit of a damper on things. On the other hand, 2020 is still a ways away despite that we still have another two years. Aside from the the original voice cast, we don't know who will be writing for this thing. It's still too early to call, so I'll wait it out. I mean, if Steven Spielberg is back on board, I have a hard time believing they're going to turn it into another Teen Titans Go. There's still a chance that WB could hire some competent, smart writer to work on the show - and if the Netflix Castlevania series have shown us, it's that exclusive streaming originals does not necessarily equate to cheap production value when it comes to animation.

That said, I would be thoroughly be impressed if WB somehow got Tokyo Movie Shinsha to work on the reboot even a little bit. But they haven't done any overseas animation work in decades, have they? It's a crying shame. I sorely miss their distinct, ever so subtle anime influence on even the most American of animated series. That's just one aspect I fear they'll have a hard time recreating. (Yes I know seven other animation studios worked on Animaniacs but let me reminisce in peace danggit.)

So yeah, I'll wait...

Classic Speedy

Captain
Staff member
Reporter
May 13, 2003
Ratings
589 2
Hmm. The fact that the original writers won't be returning (or haven't been officially announced to be returning) does put a bit of a damper on things. On the other hand, 2020 is still a ways away despite that we still have another two years. Aside from the the original voice cast, we don't know who will be writing for this thing. It's still too early to call, so I'll wait it out. I mean, if Steven Spielberg is back on board, I have a hard time believing they're going to turn it into another Teen Titans Go. There's still a chance that WB could hire some competent, smart writer to work on the show - and if the Netflix Castlevania series have shown us, it's that exclusive streaming originals does not necessarily equate to cheap production value when it comes to animation.

That said, I would be thoroughly be impressed if WB somehow got Tokyo Movie Shinsha to work on the reboot even a little bit. But they haven't done any overseas animation work in decades, have they? It's a crying shame. I sorely miss their distinct, ever so subtle anime influence on even the most American of animated series. That's just one aspect I fear they'll have a hard time recreating. (Yes I know seven other animation studios worked on Animaniacs but let me reminisce in peace danggit.)

So yeah, I'll wait...
I wouldn't hold your breath. TMS has focused on its own country's output for the last decade and a half, save for a very small number of exceptions. The Answer Studio might be a little more likely; they've been a frequent contractor for WB recently, and have proven themselves to handle cartoony animation (see "The Cat That Looked Like a King") as well as the action stuff.

On the plus side, it's also doubtful we'll see Akom work on this new series. And Freelance has long since closed.

Jan 4, 2017
Ratings
I don't see this working well at all, especially as it sounds like the original creators / team isn't involved.

Animaniacs was a great show, yes, but that doesn't mean everything held up. The general consensus seems to be that Warners, Slappy and Pinky & Brain are good (aside from the bumper pieces), and everything else is "eh" to "bad." And it's clear from the original series that there was a huge drop off in quality, in both animation and writing, after the initial 65 episodes. There's a lot that can easily go wrong with this new reboot.

I hope it looks nothing like "The Magic School Bus Rides Again" in terms of animation, but I doubt we'll get anything along the likes of TMS or Startoons.

Yum

Dec 29, 2016
Ratings
Pennsylvania, USA
hooplastudios.blogspot.com
I don't see this working well at all, especially as it sounds like the original creators / team isn't involved.

Animaniacs was a great show, yes, but that doesn't mean everything held up. The general consensus seems to be that Warners, Slappy and Pinky & Brain are good (aside from the bumper pieces), and everything else is "eh" to "bad." And it's clear from the original series that there was a huge drop off in quality, in both animation and writing, after the initial 65 episodes. There's a lot that can easily go wrong with this new reboot.

I hope it looks nothing like "The Magic School Bus Rides Again" in terms of animation, but I doubt we'll get anything along the likes of TMS or Startoons.
Well, that's why I recommended Joanna Davidovich and Doug Walker, as they seem adept to take what was good about the old show and adapt it for a modern generation, as proven by the content they produce on YouTube. I only hope that Steven Spielberg at least hires Davidovich as animation director...It's Spielberg, I don't think we're in a lot of danger here...

PF9

Jul 9, 2008
Ratings
127 11
Ohio
I think Boomerang would be a better fit for the show, since it is WB Animation after all. WB Animation should try and get all their classic non-DC animated work onto Boomerang eventually as well.

SweetShop209

Jan 5, 2014
Ratings
1,992 8
It does seem a bit strange that most of the original voice talent has been asked so far, yet none of the writers, directors, or composers. Of course, it could change over time. The only thing I know about what some of the old Animaniacs staff is currently doing is Sherri Stoner's work on MickeyAndTheRoadsterRacers, and Charles Visser's work on DorothyAndTheWizardOfOz, which are both preschool shows, On another note, it does seem smart to put it on a streaming service like Hulu given that Nickelodeon would've put it on Nicktoons, Cartoon Network would've either barely reran it or put it on Boomerang, and then there's how Disney XD treated Right Now Kapow, the first WB show to air on the network.

Aug 1, 2016
Ratings
It does seem a bit strange that most of the original voice talent has been asked so far, yet none of the writers, directors, or composers. Of course, it could change over time. The only thing I know about what some of the old Animaniacs staff is currently doing is Sherri Stoner's work on MickeyAndTheRoadsterRacers, and Charles Visser's work on DorothyAndTheWizardOfOz, which are both preschool shows, On another note, it does seem smart to put it on a streaming service like Hulu given that Nickelodeon would've put it on Nicktoons, Cartoon Network would've either barely reran it or put it on Boomerang, and then there's how Disney XD treated Right Now Kapow, the first WB show to air on the network.
some of the original staff is in warner bros right now,rich arons(the producer of the original show) has more posibilities to be the producer of the reboot because he works as storyboard in new looney tunes
spike brant ,gary hartle,tony cervone has more posibilities to be supervising producers(they worked on the original show too)
sherri stoner has posibilities to be called for the reboot because she work in a wb show
in my case theyll show it in cartoon network because
1)they are 90s characters
2)for the new viewer they are new
3)it has a normal scheschule(every show has 1 hour)

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2016
Ratings
sometimes works well,sometimes works bad with the original creator and writers of the original show.look for example gadget and the gadgetinis and ben 10 reboot those shows had the original creators involved but it works bad,there are reboots that has no idea what the original show was(in terms of tone and personalities) but also having a knowledge of the original one
other tv reboots/revival works well(samurai jack,ducktales,etc)

AnimaniacNutso

Sep 4, 2017
Ratings
443 1
I'm honestly a little worried about this only because Wellesley Wild worked on Family Guy and Ted. I don't hate them or anything (I've actually never seen Ted), but those 2 are adult shows and Animaniacs was a kids show that appealed to all ages. I honestly don't want to see shock humor in Animaniacs. Innuendo is fine, since that's what the show was always known for, but shock humor isn't really what Animaniacs (or Looney Tunes for that matter) is like. I'm still excited about this reboot, but I hope the showrunner keeps what made the original awesome, while at the same time trying something new.

Dudley

Staff member
Aug 10, 2003
Ratings
2,516 28
East Coast of USA
www.dtoons.com
Though it’s not a good sign at all that Ruegger’s not returning, given our track of reboots failing to be as good as the original, I’m not concerned about shock humor.
How “shocking” can shock humor be if the show is made for families? It’s not like Family Guy where the show can get away with a lot because it’s meant for adults. Hulu’s censors will ensure that they won’t do anything more inappropriate that they couldn’t get away with before in the original.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk