American Dad: Season 14 Talkback (Spoilers)

• We have upgraded to Xenforo 2. We've decided to open the forums back up while we configure the theme and plugins. Thanks for your patience.

Latest News

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Ratings
2,282 4
Framingham, MA
American Dad! "Santa Schmanta"

Pretty good although not as memorable as other Christmas episodes. I was a little disappointed Santa came back to life at the end. I thought the Hanukkah stuff with Roger was really fun.

Good episode. ***1/2.

Jan 31, 2010
Ratings
331 3
Laredo, TX
So far, it's off to a decent start. Roger still annoys me at time, but the premise was interesting (though not as much as the previous Christmas episode, since this was more Jewish themed). I'm not excepting much this new season since apparently that clip we saw from SDCC in July was part of this season and it was very gory. At least Teresa Hsiao made up from her last two atrocities she wrote last season.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Ratings
2,282 4
Framingham, MA
American Dad! "Paranoid Frandroid"

Is it just me or does Klaus totally suck?

I was wondering how Stan would explain Francine still being alive to the CIA and then when I saw the funeral I was like "Oh, I get it. They're super dumb." Makes sense.

Love that Roger is dressed like Langly from The X-Files.

Steve and Snot will NEVER get laid. Worst pick-up attempt EVER.

Good episode but I wanna just smack Klaus. ****.

American Dad! "The Census Of The Lambs"

That's exactly what I imagine a Law and Order convention would be like. Ice-T's cameo at the end was cool because boarding schools are for suckers.

Barry's modeling plot could be summed up by Toshi asking why they were jealous of him. That nude photo of him and the wrinkly pug was nasty.

Speaking of fat people, Tuttle lost weight.

The cheerful guy in the hole was so funny.

Lots of people have two hats. Worst suspicious clue ever.

Poor Jim. Is his name even Jim?

Funny episode. ****1/2.

Dragnatek

Apr 21, 2011
Ratings
Hammond IN
Tuttle is back to the look he had in the first few seasons.

I had a good laugh at the man who looked like Roger even Stan had to question it. Nope that was a human that just happened to look like him.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Ratings
2,282 4
Framingham, MA
American Dad! “Shell Game”

Wow, that episode sucked. It is surprising how stupid and unfunny both of those plots were.

Any good things? I don’t think Morning Mimosa will ever get old, so it’s probably smart that the show knows enough to shove it into an episode that is otherwise terrible. Because it WAS terrible otherwise. *.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Ratings
2,282 4
Framingham, MA
American Dad! “The Mural Of The Story”

I definitely liked some of that. It was definitely a little too dark and cruel by the end, but I still kind of dug it.

I love that when the guy recognizes Stan from taking a dump in the restaurant Stan proudly winks at Hayley. What a doof.

I was amused at the look on his face when Steve knew the clown teacher was going to be Roger. Roger’s outfit of a clown face and slacks and Simon Cowell black tight T-shirt was hysterical. I also laughed at the clown judge telling everyone that they’d be there all day if they didn’t stop doing bits, and than putting on giant glasses.

I love that Klaus was surprised at the Hayley reveal. Klaus always turns to be even stupider than the audience suspected, and that was a great example of that.

Stan was so horrible to Hayley in this episode. But it is not lost on me that the episode did TWO things to point out Francine is a horrible parent too. First when she puts the finger to her head upon Steve exiting the car, and second, upon walking in on Stan about to assault Hayley in a vicious manner and doing nothing about it. Francine Smith does not suck quite as much as Lois Griffin. But she DOES outright suck.

My favorite thing in the episode was the tag at the end set 20 years in the future. For some reason it makes me very happy to think of Steve as a college professor with a wife at home who loves him. The episode with the Future Steve and Snot was supposed to show Steve being a success in the future, but in reality, his life was kind of sad and pathetic. I like this future much better.

Pretty good episode, if a bit too cruel at times. ****.

ToonsJazzLover

Jan 31, 2010
Ratings
331 3
Laredo, TX
While I'm a little late for the past few episodes, they were all actually pretty watchable. Not good, but just okay enough for me to possible rewatch (well, expect Paranoid Frandroid).

But that new episode that came out on Monday was a trainwreck. It's the first bad episode of the season imo. I'd like to rant about it somewhere else though. But let's just say Stan and Francine were both unlikable characters even as parents.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Ratings
2,282 4
Framingham, MA
American Dad! "(You Gotta) Strike For Your Right"

Klaus' monologue to the censors is him pondering the basic cable of life.

Speaking of the s-word, that whiffle ball bat says that Avery is into some weird ****.

I love the idea that watching Breaking Bad backwards is an audio treasure map. You think Vince Gilligan created the show to be a beloved, multiple award-winning drama? C'mon, man.

And only Francine understands the mind of Vince Pelican.

I love Jackson asking if there was a chant that rhyme with "free colonoscopies forever." I also love that Hayley's presentation was SO good, Bullock not only gives into all the demands, but he fires Stan for being a scab. I especially like that Hayley's dumb enough to negotiate herself into being taken hostage.

I love that the treasure map leads to Vince Gilligan's buried corpse. What, did you actually think he was a genius? C'mon, man.

I love that the moral seems to be that the best way to take down an organization from the inside is to unionize them. That isn't a moral I agree with, but it IS legitimately funny. Why isn't that true of South Park anymore?

Loved the episode. ****1/2.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Ratings
2,282 4
Framingham, MA
American Dad! "Klaustastrophe.tv"

Nonsense, but entertaining nonsense. That Sesame Street On Ice Camp was pretty much the perfect ending, and tied everything together in a giant bow. Don't be sad. There are still four other kids on the bus whose parents will NEVER come for them!

I laughed at Curly saying it was harder than you think for 12 grown black men to adopt a young white boy back then. Stan's all: "Yeah, that's still a problem."

Jack's not Krampus anymore? Or does he only turn into him at Christmas?

I like everybody being unsure about whether or not to do Klaus' thing this week. Honestly, they were right to be skeptical. That B plot sucked.

I like that Roger actually ate the spider though. He describes it as a blood filled croissant. Why did they cut away again?

Avery makes the best cross-eyes when he's in a mood.

Funny week. ***1/2.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Ratings
2,282 4
Framingham, MA
American Dad! "Death By Dinner Party"

This episode asks and answers the pertinent question of "What would happen if 'And Then There Were Fewer' actually sucked?"

I don't need to go beyond that in this review, but it is SUCH a step down from Family Guy's masterpiece, that I am a little ashamed this show attempted it. It is awful and embarrassing. 0.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Ratings
2,282 4
Framingham, MA
American Dad! "The Never-Ending Stories"

Love the show talking about the fact that Avery looks like Patrick Stewart. I loved that moment. But it was one of the few moments I did.

Klaus' plot made me realize I don't understand the appeal of rap videos. I get that Klaus' video was supposed to be a terrible example, but it actually engaged in all of the tropes that make those things popular in the first place. The fact that the song and images sucked were almost irrelevant into how old and cranky it made me feel.

That stuff with the rappers bragging about incest wasn't actually funny, but what is funny is that the show is treating it as if it is. I have a feeling if Seth MacFarlane did an informal poll about what normal people think is actually funny, he'd realize he's pretty off-base about many topics. Rape, incest, and child molestation not actually being funny would actually be a shock to him. Which tells me the guy has bodies buried under the floorboards somewhere. If the Me Too Movement takes out any other animators, Seth MacFarlane is my easy guess.

That ripped 73 year old principle voiced by J.K. Simmons seems to be making fun of a specific personality type. Except, I've never seen anyone in real-life or fiction remotely resembling the guy. Maybe the show should be proud it created a wholly original type of character. Personally? It just struck me as outright weird.

I hate Roger so much. The entire joke is supposed to be he brainwashed this kid into believing he's his mother. That again is something that isn't actually funny, and stuff like that is why I haven't actually liked a Roger plot in years.

I think this episode was a little too weird and off-putting for its own good. There were definitely a couple of good jokes (particular Klaus screaming the question if everybody there was high as f-bomb) but I felt the week was below average because it dealt with stuff that wasn't actually funny. **.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Ratings
2,282 4
Framingham, MA
American Dad! "Railroaded"

That was too real to be funny. For the record, I agree with Stan that it's mostly the voters' fault.

Terlington and Reginald will NEVER get lines again, will they? I'm miffed about that.

Krampus is back alive? Maybe that why Jack wasn't him in a previous episode.

That rat bikini was disgusting. Francine is so gross.

I am on-board Garfield being the new Mayor. What a great callback to one of the strongest TBS episodes.

Loved Roger's line reading on "Well, s-word," at the end.

I wasn't laughing during this. I was mostly crying. **1/2.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Ratings
2,282 4
Framingham, MA
American Dad! "Oretron Trail"

I liked most of that, but I didn't like the ending. I LIKE the idea that Roger cares enough about the family that he'll be upset when they die. Them taking that away at the end sucked. The character hasn't been interesting in years, and tonight he was again. And they took away the precise thing that made him interesting at the end. Which bums me out.

Fun Fact: I have completed Oregon Trail many times in my youth, but I have only made it through with no members of my party dying exactly once. But I DO know it's possible, if NEAR impossible.

I liked the Oregon Trail stuff more than the Renegade stuff. Did anybody actually like Renegade when it aired? It struck me as the poor man's Walker Texas Ranger as far as 90's action shows were concerned, and I can't recall anyone I know who actually liked it, much less watched it. Just speaking for me, parodies usually work better on stuff that is culturally relevant, especially years later. And Renegade would not qualify by any metric.

Klaus' stuff actually sickened me, and the less I say about it, the better.

Unfavorable impression this week. **.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Ratings
2,282 4
Framingham, MA
American Dad! "Mean Francine"

How does Lewis get dollhouse furniture stuck in his teeth? I guess the joke is that we don't actually know. Him randomly walking by not wearing pants in one scene was the same idea.

Steve relaying that erotic dream to Francine was bad enough. But after THAT, telling her he was cool with her as his therapist was beyond messed up.

When Roger counsels that kid into being choosy about which pedophile he gets after running away, I realize the writers think through crap like that far more than people who aren't sociopaths ever should. I could never write that joke. Because it would never occur to me. Because I'm not a terrible person.

The Golden Girls admiring Francine's beard was one of the meanest TV insults I've heard in awhile. It was both personal and impersonal at the same time. They instantly sized Francine up and figured the best way to hurt her. Did I mention the writers think far more about this crap than good people ever would?

You'd think Jeff losing his hat is the lowest hanging of sitcom fruit, but the show somehow made it a big deal. To be honest, this episode probably contained Jeff Fischer's best performance so far. There is actual madness and pathos in his voice for the first time ever. I love that they made it the mid-season cliffhanger. Not quite Golden Turd material, but it will do.

Debbies and Herbs. Teenagers of every era talked like morons. Teen lingo is terrible no matter when you grew up.

I'm sorry, Francine revealing the secrets she did shows she IS a terrible person. She not only belonged in the Golden Girls all along. But she should have been their queen.

For the record, Steve getting clams dumped on his was probably the least embarrassing moment in that entire runway show. Seriously disturbing stuff. The writers ARE terrible people.

I love that Stan forgets he's married to Francine.

Pretty good, but I'm guessing the writers' room on this show is filled with sociopaths and sex offenders. ***1/2.

Mar 14, 2018
Ratings
PURITY BALL AND CHAIN: Steve is back as the AD version of Brian Griffin as he got another girlfriend, but we get the whole purity ring story plot that was in two other cartoons; South Park and The Goode Family. Stan fighting the other dads is great and the second plot with the super water slide and the return of Turlinton is AD gold. ***

RAILROADED: The Simpsons did the monorail story right, but AD turned it into Roger becomes the villain and puts everyone in the Superdome that is now a prison camp. The cameos by past characters was good and Francine's reference to Mayor McCheese from Family Guy was okay to the nod to Spooner Street in Roger's Waldo book. **

SHELL GAME: I like when Roger and Steve do episodes together, but the side plot with the other Smith members becoming Italian sterotypes was kind of dumb. I do like the Steve and Roger plot though with helping the bird eggs. It's not an environmental episode that slams the message into our throats. ***

MEAN FRANCINE: Saw this episode and this could had been done as a Family Guy episode with Meg Griffin becoming a Mean Girl by joining a Heathers type group. I like this episode, even Jeff and Halley get a decent second plot. ****

ORE-TRON TRAIL: Roger. The Oregon Trail. Renegade. Tron. This is not a bad episode, but Teen Titans Go did a better and funny Oregon Trail parody. ***1/2

Continued later....

Jan 31, 2010
Ratings
331 3
Laredo, TX
John Markee (John95 or JohnMarkee1995) actually think Mean Francine is the best episode of the show since its move to TBS, believe it or not. (Keep in mind, he's not even the biggest fan of the show since 2014)

With that in mind, I would agree with him on the episode (which actually felt like an old episode imo, ironically as it was from a new writer. Francine was well written and Stan was kept to a minimal) as well as OreTron Trail which was a shame. It had potential until the last few minutes ruined it like most promising episodes these days.