Amazon closes Anime Strike

Discussion in 'The Anime Forum' started by Daikun, Jan 6, 2018.

1. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

Well...I wasn't expecting this today.

2. Checkerboard

Checkerboard THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS

Good news for Toonami, I guess?

3. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

If it's available under the regular Amazon Prime membership still, then no problem, I suppose...

4. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

This is surprising news. I haven't kept up with Anime Strike news, but I have heard it wasn't really received well among anime fans. Having to pay for the service even if you had Amazon Prime was a big problem for a lot of people. I think that the service had a lot of technical problems too, particularly with the sub quality and some delays with new episodes. Another streaming platform sounded like an interesting idea, but I don't think it worked out too well. It must have been financially unsuccessful given that they're ending the service in just one year.

I do think it's a better idea to include the anime titles as part of Amazon Prime. That eliminates the double pay wall issue. Instead of being an extra service people have to pay for on top of Amazon Prime, the anime titles they have are just another extra bonus of the service like Amazon Video and Music. I'm not sure if any of the series that were on Anime Strike would appeal to me, but at least I can check them out since I already have Amazon Prime for the free shipping.

5. Golden Geek

Golden Geek Gera Gera Po

Not all of the Anime Strike catalog was moved into Amazon Prime. Viz, Sentai, and some of Funimation's contracts for some shows and movies to appear on Anime Strike apparently became null and void when it comes to Amazon Prime.

However, anything that was an Anime Strike exclusive is still on Prime (including the fantastic Made in Abyss which everyone should check out), and all of Aniplex's titles remained (meaning that Amazon Prime is now the cheapest way to watch The Garden of Sinners movie series). Funimation is also offering some of their best stuff such as Akira, Spice and Wolf, Soul Eater, etc.

6. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It's been ages since I saw Spice and Wolf's first season and I've never seen the second season, so that is something I'll try to watch at some point. I'll have to see what other anime titles are available on Amazon Video now.

7. AnotherRandomGuy

AnotherRandomGuy The cat came back, he just couldn't stay away

Anime Strike was a major mistake on Amzaon's part and I'm neither surprised nor saddened to see it go. From the get go it was mismanaged with it's double paywall, which few anime fans were willing to pay no matter how great the content was.

I'm happy the content that locked away is now under their standard Prime service which is how it should've been from the start. Maybe now, more people can give their series a watch, Made in Abyss is one of those series than create new anime fans if handled correctly.

8. Zeether

Zeether HASSHA!!

I just hope Funimation can get Bahamut: Virgin Soul after Amazon swiped it from them. That was an awful move. Also hopefully Yuki Yuna season 2 gets dubbed, but considering how unpredictable PonyCan USA is (not to mention being awful in general, who doesn't dub a big KyoAni series??) I don't see it happening unless it goes to Netflix or something.

Good riddance anyway. Hope they never try this again.

9. Takao

Takao Fight the darkness all around

Anime Strike didn't run dubbed content.

10. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

I think this is good news. Having a separate anime tier of Amazon Prime or whatever was a mistake. I'm just saying, Crunchy Roll, you don't have to have a paid subscription to stream the content.

For Netflix, the anime they stream their is packaged with all their other content. You aren't paying extra for an anime package. I think Mother's Basement video sort of spelled out all my proper feelings on this.

• Agree Agree x 1