Status
Not open for further replies.

HG Revolution

Truth (with crazy opinions!)
Feb 28, 2006
Ratings
Needham, MA
hoyvinglavin64.livejournal.com
In it's history, Toonami did so much... But it could have done so much more! Sean and Jason seemed to want more. I was wondering, which shows did they want on Toonami that they almost had but couldn't?

What I can think of off the top of my head:
-Escaflowne (fate: butchered by FOXKids)
-Trigun (fate: went to AS, did fine there)
-Inu-Yasha (fate: went to AS, singlehandedly ruined AS's opinion of anime fans)
-Last Exile (fate: went to TechTV before that network's programming got burried)
-Vandread (fate: went to one of the Encore stations)

I wonder how things would have panned out differently had these series reached Toonami (or for that matter, how things would pan out if Yuyu Hakusho came to Toonami first rather than temporarily making this list).

Raidon Makoto

Long Live The Heroes
Mar 1, 2006
Apparently, Lodoss War and Zeta Gundam were both considered for Toonami. Digimon Data Squad, Moribito, Gundam 00, and Gurren Lagann also had the chance to be on Toonami, but were victims of foolish decisions by the Cartoon Network executives.

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
Ratings
In a Dream World
Apparently, Lodoss War and Zeta Gundam were both considered for Toonami. Digimon Data Squad, Moribito, Gundam 00, and Gurren Lagann also had the chance to be on Toonami, but were victims of foolish decisions by the Cartoon Network executives.
I didn't think that Digimon Data Squad had much of a chance with airing on Toonami. While I would have preferred that since I didn't get Toon Disney, I think with the other four series having aired on Toon Disney before and Disney owning the airing rights to Digimon made it pretty clear that it was bound to air on Toon Disney.

Cassie Star

Dora and Diego rock
Apr 19, 2004
Ratings
AZ
www.twitter.com
I didn't think that Digimon Data Squad had much of a chance with airing on Toonami. While I would have preferred that since I didn't get Toon Disney, I think with the other four series having aired on Toon Disney before and Disney owning the airing rights to Digimon made it pretty clear that it was bound to air on Toon Disney.
True.

There was absolutely no way Data Squad had a chance of airing anywhere EXCEPT Toon Disney.

macattack

I see you!
Staff member
Reporter
Apr 17, 2007
Ratings
USA
True.

There was absolutely no way Data Squad had a chance of airing anywhere EXCEPT Toon Disney.
Actually, rust is right here. Data Squad/Savers WAS shopped around in mid-2007 before it wound up on TD. A lot of Toonami fans actually expected the show to wind up on Toonami in one of the lead-in slots because Squad was a darker take on the Digimon franchise like Tamers was. They didn't think TD would have the guts to air it (neither did I, for that matter).

Cassie Star

Dora and Diego rock
Apr 19, 2004
Ratings
AZ
www.twitter.com
Actually, rust is right here. Data Squad/Savers WAS shopped around in mid-2007 before it wound up on TD. A lot of Toonami fans actually expected the show to wind up on Toonami in one of the lead-in slots because Squad was a darker take on the Digimon franchise like Tamers was. They didn't think TD would have the guts to air it (neither did I, for that matter).
Really?

This is new information to me, and I keep up with just about everything in the world of animation.

Gonzales

Feb 14, 2009
Pallet Town
The Escaflwone Fox Kids dub wasn't all that bad. In fact, it was basically just Bandai's dub with some edits and goofy music changes. I enjoyed it, for as long as it lasted.

Not to go off-topic, but Fox Kids actually had the rights to Slayers for a little while, if you can believe it.

J'onn J'onzz

Best Male Member '08
Mar 4, 2006
Ratings
Arizona
There's a section on TDA about this actually...

http://toonamiarsenal.com/download/almost.php

I don't know very much about the behind the scenes deals for most of the ones listed, but for stuff I have a vague idea on:

Pilot Candidate and Gundam 0083 were originally going to air on Toonami, and edited as such, then ended up airing on the new Adult Swim Action block.

Silverhawks I believe aired before Toonami on weekdays for a while, and some TV guides thought it was airing on the midnight run (not sure if this was a mistake by the guides or a last second cancelation).

Interstella 5555 partially aired on Toonami at one point, I think? As music videos for some late night music special.

Star Blazers, Patlabor, The Harlock Saga, and Record of Lodoss War all aired on Toonami reactor, but not Toonami itself.
The Escaflwone Fox Kids dub wasn't all that bad. In fact, it was basically just Bandai's dub with some edits and goofy music changes. I enjoyed it, for as long as it lasted.

Not to go off-topic, but Fox Kids actually had the rights to Slayers for a little while, if you can believe it.
They also had Detective Conan, and would have aired it if Escaflowne had done well.

J!!!

You're such a little kid~
Oct 30, 2008
Ratings
Somewhere
I wonder how Gurren Lagaan could have worked considering taking out the cursing would be like taking piece of the shows soul away.............But IGPX did have a lot of cursing too and it aired on Toonami but at a horrible timeslot.

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
Ratings
In a Dream World
I didn't hear anything about this either. I also thought that Disney still had some kind of rights with Digimon, I think the rights to air the series, since the previous four series had aired on Toon Disney. To be honest, I also didn't think that Data Squad was that dark or at least not dark enough for Toon Disney not to consider airing.

Raidon Makoto

Long Live The Heroes
Mar 1, 2006
I didn't hear anything about this either. I also thought that Disney still had some kind of rights with Digimon, I think the rights to air the series, since the previous four series had aired on Toon Disney. To be honest, I also didn't think that Data Squad was that dark or at least not dark enough for Toon Disney not to consider airing.
Disney had the rights to the first four. Toei has the rights to Data Squad. That's why Toei is selling Data Squad's DVDs atm.

Status
Not open for further replies.