All Cartoons Should Have Anime Style Openings and Closings

• We have upgraded to Xenforo 2. We've decided to open the forums back up while we configure the theme and plugins. Thanks for your patience.

Latest News

dumbfoolkid5

Apr 15, 2012
Ratings
119 1
New Orleans LA. US
Exactly what i mean. I know about the shows identity and how they do things in Japan when it comes to their music industry, but I want to say this. After seeing so many anime openings no one else can compare but some came close. The style, the direction, and best of all NO SOUND EFFECTS OR SAYING THE SHOWS TITLE! I can't stand the sound effects, it kills the mood of the music. I know it should be good to be different but I say every cartoon should have an anime style opening. What do you say?

PapaGreg

Drinking my sorrows
Nov 1, 2013
Ratings
1,324 7
I always wanted western animations to have different openings and endings played by different bands and muscians in fact its hoe I found my favorite Japanese artist and songs

Jul 14, 2016
Ratings
San Diego, California
Exactly what i mean. I know about the shows identity and how they do things in Japan when it comes to their music industry, but I want to say this. After seeing so many anime openings no one else can compare but some came close. The style, the direction, and best of all NO SOUND EFFECTS OR SAYING THE SHOWS TITLE! I can't stand the sound effects, it kills the mood of the music. I know it should be good to be different but I say every cartoon should have an anime style opening. What do you say?
I think that's very creative. In fact, I envision some cartoon ideas of my own that I have being like that, one involving the intro being set to the song "Shine", sung by Vanessa Amorosi.

May 2, 2018
Ratings
I'd love to see this just to listen to longer openings and endings. Having a 1:30 intro would be pretty cool (thought it would be hard to do since most episodes today last roughly 11:00)

Classic Speedy

Captain
Staff member
Reporter
May 13, 2003
Ratings
590 2
Anime openings are beautifully animated, that's hard to deny. But I rarely like the songs that go with them. But I know I'm in the minority on that.

That does bring up a side question: Why are nearly all anime openings/endings exactly 1:30 in length? I've seen very few exceptions, so there must be some reasoning behind it. Like, is it a contractual thing?

I.R. Shokew

DISGRACED and Rooting ONLY for Underdogs
Sep 26, 2011
Ratings
1,709 7
Who wants to find me that badly anymore?
Good luck with that. No one is going to ever do this until certain things like royalties on music (e.g.: large fees to play copyrighted music on anything) are a thing of the past. Don't count on that happening EVER.

Furthermore, are there any American musicians out there who would willingly play their music as OPs and/or EPs over a medium that isn't as well regarded as it should be???

Lovely as your idea sounds, it's going to require mass upheaval on a lot of things, particularly the elimination of royalties && the majority's less than favorable opinion on cartoons in general not being seen as just "kid's stuff", m8.

And despite my harsh grasp of reality on things..... I would love if Western fare had some of their own OPs and EPs for themselves, someday. However, they need to be good (as in no "what's hor in pop-culture chart-cluttering garbage".), or else it won't be worth even considering trying to do, if you ask me.

Last edited:

dumbfoolkid5

Apr 15, 2012
Ratings
119 1
New Orleans LA. US
Anime openings are beautifully animated, that's hard to deny. But I rarely like the songs that go with them. But I know I'm in the minority on that.

That does bring up a side question: Why are nearly all anime openings/endings exactly 1:30 in length? I've seen very few exceptions, so there must be some reasoning behind it. Like, is it a contractual thing?
It doesn't have to be the full 1:30, it could be 30 seconds. And the closing doesn't have to be shown, save it for the blue ray. And it could be any form of music from anybody, doesn't have to be a big name band, anybody even the show's cast. Like the opening to American Dad. Anyway, some live action sitcom openings from the 80's and 90's are like anime openings why can't cartoons have that?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Nobodyman

Sep 11, 2009
Ratings
1,142 3
U.S.A.
But if we did that we wouldn't get great western cartoon openings like Ducktales, or Inspector Gadget, or Animaniacs, or Tiny Toons, or Pinky and the Brain, or TMNT, or X-men, or Beetlejuice.

dumbfoolkid5

Apr 15, 2012
Ratings
119 1
New Orleans LA. US
Well, the thing is they may be good as a kid, but i think kids deserve better. And if Japan can evolve from that kind of practice more or less why can't the U.S. We could do better if we change the opening practice and not include sound effects and release a soundtrack for TV cartoons more often.
But if we did that we wouldn't get great western cartoon openings like Ducktales, or Inspector Gadget, or Animaniacs, or Tiny Toons, or Pinky and the Brain, or TMNT, or X-men, or Beetlejuice.
Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

SweetShop209

Jan 5, 2014
Ratings
2,012 8
I think the reason why longer openings and closings aren't as commonplace would be due to money. TV networks want their shows to make money, with commercials being the best way to go about. Shorter theme songs are more common since it means more time for commercials. Another practice that's been done is to slightly speed up the episode and run the credits while the show is still playing. It's happened with SpongeBob recently. I remembered seeing The Gift Of Gum running at about 10:30 minutes on dvd, yet at only slightly above 10:00 minutes on recent tv airings. The only type of shows that seem to avoid this are PBS Kids and Disney Junior shows, since, except for movies, they don't have commercials running during the programs, hence the minute long intros (though Ducktales 2017 still has a minute long theme song).

Mr.O

Sep 21, 2016
Ratings
268 1
And despite my harsh grasp of reality on things..... I would love if Western fare had some of their own OPs and EPs for themselves, someday. However, they need to be good (as in no "what's hor in pop-culture chart-cluttering garbage".), or else it won't be worth even considering trying to do, if you ask me.
As if any cartoon channel would dish out the millions for chart-cluttering garbage