"Action Comics (2011 Ongoing)" Series Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Comics and Collectibles' started by James Harvey, Sep 7, 2011.

?

Rate and Comment - "Action Comics"

1. *****

62.5%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ***1/2

25.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

12.5%
  1. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

I was thinking about getting that Superman annual especially since it actually got good reviews.

I'll be happy when the new creative team starts. Pak does at least one of the villain issues next month I think and then after that it's a Year Zero tie-in and then the regular stuff. DC is definitely not making it easy to be a reader.

2. I_Spyral

I_Spyral Moonrider

The annual was pretty decent, I think because Lobdell had a co-writer.

Action Comics #23 was really meh, phoned in crap. The next one should be good since it continues the annual. And look forward to Pak taking over.

3. Dragonpiece

Dragonpiece Active Member

The annual you read was Superman annual 2, and yeah, the guy who is doing the Action Comic backups co-wrote the issue with Lobdell I believe.

4. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

Scott Lobdell's Action Comics story-arc wraps up!

ACTION COMICS #24

[​IMG]

Written by SCOTT LOBDELL
    Art and cover by TYLER KIRKHAM

Psycho Pirate! When Brainiac shrunk Metropolis, they were infected in the process. Now, Superman battles their effects on the city—and the secrets of “The Twenty” are revealed!

Comments?

5. Wonder Woman

The cover of the issue I picked up is vastly different from what is up in the post there. Were there some rewrites or anything or just the usual 'cover done before we know the story' thing? Regardless I'm eager for the new creative team to start already but the current fill-in stuff has been alright.

6. James Harvey

The new creative team for Action Comics debuts! A "Zero Year" tie-in!

ACTION COMICS #25

[​IMG]

Written by GREG PAK
    Art and cover by AARON KUDER

This Batman: Zero Year tie-in features the reintroduction of a major character! A cocky young Superman battles the forces of nature to save Gotham City, while a woman from his past tries to do the same thing on a smaller scale. But both are headed for a collision course...

Comments?

7. I_Spyral

I_Spyral Moonrider

So glad that Action Comics is finally back after an unpleasant 6-issue detour. Pak writes Superman pretty well, and Aaron Kuder is a fantastic storyteller.

8. James Harvey

The new creative team for Action Comics kicks off a new story-arc!

ACTION COMICS #26

[​IMG]

Written by GREG PAK

All hell breaks loose as Superman is caught between an alien menace and the super-powered soldier the U.S. Army has sent to kill it!

Comments?

9. Dragonpiece

I really,really,REALLY enjoyed this. Makes Lobdell's book seem terrible in comparison and I actually didn't hate his run as much as others did. Neither Lobdell or Snyder has made me really enjoy Superman monthly like Morrison did, but Pak just may be the one that does it.

10. Wonder Woman

With this issue I think its clear that Pak "gets" Superman. That flashback story with Clark and his dad was perfect and I like how that resonated with the present day. This is probably the best issue of Action Comics in some time. The book has always been readable but here Pak took it up quite a bit. He nails Superman so perfectly here and that has me really excited about what he could be bringing to the title. People need to seek out this issue - it's a really underrated gem. Plus it's a done-in-one, so it's not like anyone is on the hook for a long six-issue arc. Can't recommend this issue enough!

11. BigFatHairyDeal

BigFatHairyDeal Defender of the Universe

The actual events of this book aren't that consequential, but the voice Pak gives Superman is great. His Lana isn't bad, either.

12. I_Spyral

I_Spyral Moonrider

Kind of the opposite of Unchained in that way.

13. BigFatHairyDeal

BigFatHairyDeal Defender of the Universe

LOL, can't argue with that. I read Unchained #1, and coupled with the Snyder interviews, I wasn't intrigued enough to go farther. Maybe there'll be a great issue in the run, but so far, no thanks.

14. James Harvey

The latest story-arc continues by the acclaimed new Action Comics creative team!

ACTION COMICS #27

[​IMG]

Written by GREG PAK

Superman takes on the brutal Beast Lord as startling revelations are made about our Earth’s underground world! Plus: more on the mysterious Ghost Soldier!

Comments?

15. Wonder Woman

I like that this book still keeps looking into Superman's past. I like that this book seems to giving off this great sci-fi feel and mixing that with some actual optimism. The flashbacks are actually kind of sweet as opposed to the dark and dreary-ness of most DC books. It's a colorful book and it's really good. A perfect creative team too.

16. James Harvey

The latest story-arc continues by the acclaimed new Action Comics creative team!

ACTION COMICS #28

[​IMG]

Written by GREG PAK

Who or what is the Ghost Soldier, and what mysterious ties does he have to The Man of Steel? Will he side with Superman as he is caught in the middle of the military’s battle with subterranean monsters?

Comments?

17. Wonder Woman

This is such a satisfying and enjoyable book that seems to be free of the tropes that the majority of other DC Comics books suffer from. It's actually fun and kind of joyful. It's disappointing that no one talks about this book alot but since Pak and Kuder took over it's been solid and consistent and like other books such as The Flash and Daredevil no one tends to discuss but mostly agree about. I really like how Lana Lang is becoming "Superman's Pal" here too.

18. Dragonpiece

Very enjoyable honestly, just good clean,fashioned fun. Perfect start to Park's run.

19. James Harvey

The best Superman comic on shelves continues!

ACTION COMICS #29

[​IMG]

Written by GREG PAK

Superman must protect the sub-terrans from Ghost Soldier and the U.S. Armed Forces! Is he about to become Public Enemy #1?

Comments?

20. Wonder Woman

The artwork in this book is worthy of framing. Not only that but with each issue more and more this Superman reads and feels like Superman should. Greg Pak has been a real saving grace for this book and he is perfectly matched with Kuder. Pak has been doing good with the Batman/Superman book but I find he really really shines here.