4Kids Talkback: One Last Shot - The 4Kids Discussion V9

Discussion in 'Saturday Morning Forever!' started by D Dubbs, Jul 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Manga4life

Manga4life DYNAMITE's PULP FIESTA BLOG!!!

Holy cow, a 1.4 followed by a 1.3 for Sonic X? Why the hell does this show draw viewers so well when the episodes are older and they have been aired already? I guess the kiddies still love Sonic after all these years, but still, higher ratings than shows with product following like Yu-Gi-Oh and DBZ is perplexing to me when Sonic isn't nearly as popular from a merchandise standpoint as he was 18 years ago. DBZ Kai got decent ratings, that's nice to see, and as a whole I would say this has been one of the best week in the ratings for CW4kids in quite a while and definitely the best week under the "Toonzai" banner since it's taken to the air.

2. cohenmarioman

cohenmarioman Active Member

Just a reminder, when you see these ratings and ratings of Cartoon Network with the same Demo, these are multiplied by roughly 2 for comparison sake. So 5Ds would be roughly a 1.6 compared with the 1.7 for Hole in the Wall at the same time. I remember reading someone still thought these were terrible, when really they aren't when compared to network channels.

Also, lets not forget the K6-11 group is very (very) ADHD like, meaning if there isn't another person watching the TV, the child can become distracted and lose focus on the TV for something else. It has been said by a user here (forget the name) that if the TV is on, and you put some food on the table, the kid will forget all about the TV, and won't even watch it even while eating.

3. spidey4545

spidey4545 Fox Kids Historian
    Reporter

The Toonzai on CW4Kids schedule now remains the same up through December 18th. Network premieres of Dragonball Z Kai continue up through episode 26 and then the series repeats from the beginning. Double premieres of Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's episodes continue as well.

4. Sgt.Frog

Sgt.Frog Active Member

What is the point of starting Kai from the beginning? It seems like a bad choice since a lot of episodes in the beginning have monologue, long winded stories, and characters doing nothing. Why does 4kids insist on doing this with a lot of their shows?

5. jerrymouse16

jerrymouse16 Sonic and Amy Forever!!!

Just a heads up...

This weekend, my CW affilate will be airing college football starting at 10am, and therfore, They are pre-empting Dragon Ball Z Kai And Yu-Gi-Oh! 5d's and will NOT be airing those two shows at all.

This is one of the exact reasons why I hate my CW affilate. :mad:

But I guess it dosen't really matter for me, because I usually watch "The busy world of richard scarry" on this TV at the exact same time as Dragon Ball Z Kai usually airs, and I usually take a long nap during the time 5D's comes on. :sweat:

#985 jerrymouse16, Nov 19, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2010
  6. aegisrawks

aegisrawks Active Member

WHAT!?

Are they nuts!? DBKai Ratings through are through the roof thanks to the double premieres! It would tank horribly if they do that! But then again, kids seem to be happy watching old eps...:sad:

7. cohenmarioman

What affiliate would that happen to be?

8. jerrymouse16

KCWI In Des Moines, IA.

9. Golfkid

Golfkid Active Member

Ouch! So sorry to hear someone in a neighboring state gets screwed like this. :(

Could you send them an e-mail or something? :confused:

10. aegisrawks

aegisrawks Active Member

Well, there's reruns in 13 weeks....:sweat:

11. D Dubbs

D Dubbs Wish Upon A Star

Well 4Kids probably only 26 episodes of Kai to start with, but now that they know it's a success, I'm sure they'll order more pretty quick.

On a side note, this has to be the longest 4Kids has such a consistent schedule in quite some time. Guess they must be pretty happy with it.

See, Kahn can be a nice guy.

12. Burgundy Ranger

Burgundy Ranger Disney XD/Vortexx schedule guy

That start time seemed odd to me, since most early college games don't start until noon Eastern -- which would be 11 a.m. in Des Moines.

So, I checked KCWI's schedule. It's not college football that's pre-empting the last 2 hours of Toonzai.

It's high school football. State finals, you know.

13. jerrymouse16

Oh, okay, then, got confused with the name, that's all.

Well, I did write on their facebook page, but never heard back from them.

#993 jerrymouse16, Nov 20, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2010
  14. cohenmarioman

High School Football? Here in Florida they are only at the second round in the state playoffs.

15. Golfkid

Golfkid Active Member

Minnesota's having state semi-finals at the Metrodome this weekend.

Speaking of which, where does Iowa have their state finals?

16. D Dubbs

D Dubbs Wish Upon A Star

Toonzai on The CW4Kids: November 20th, 2010:
    07:00 AM Cubix - K's Kages (#9)
    07:30 AM Cubix - Fixed Competition (#10)
    08:00 AM Sonic X - Agent of Mischief (#75)
    08:30 AM Sonic X - The Light in the Darkness (#76)
    09:00 AM Yu-Gi-Oh! - The Master of Magicians, Part 2 (#61) The CW Network Premiere
    09:30 AM Sonic X - A Fearless Friend (#77)
    10:00 AM Dragon Ball Z Kai - A Powerful New Foe! Frieza, Ruler of the Universe! (#19) The CW Network Premiere
    10:30 AM Dragon Ball Z Kai - The Rebellion Against Frieza! Vegeta’s Burning Ambition! (#20) The CW Network Premiere
    11:00 AM Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's - Get With the Program, Part 2 (#82) English Dub World Premiere
    11:30 AM Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's - Will the Real Jack Atlas Please Stand Up, Part 1 (#83) English Dub World Premiere

Notes:

• English dub premieres of Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's (x2) continue
    • Network premieres of DBZ Kai (x2) and Yu-Gi-Oh! continue
    Streaming updates for this week:

• Yu-Gi-Oh!: 8 episodes on YouTube, from season five
    • Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's: 2 episodes on Toonzaki and Hulu from season two
    • Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's (sub): 2 episodes on Toonzaki and Hulu, from season one
    • Sonic X (sub): 4 episodes on YouTube, 1 episode on Hulu, all from season two

17. bigddan11

bigddan11 Justice must be served!

A lot of the Northern states have their championships at the beginning of November before the really bad weather hits. Most of the Southern states don't have theirs until December. Also, population has a lot on when they have the playoffs. Texas, like Florida, is only in the second round of the playoffs this week, but they have over 100 5A teams that make the state playoffs, and the same goes for 4A and 3A while 2A, 1A, and Six Man have more than 60 teams make the state playoffs and hold their championships only a week before the 3A, 4A, and 5A championships.

Holding the championships earlier also helps avoid clashing with the major college championships (ACC, SEC, Big 12, Conference USA, etc.).

18. cohenmarioman

Well, I know some states don't even have the 6A that Florida does, but I didn't know some of them ended so early. Exactly when do those states finish the regular season, and how many games is it? Do they start playing before they even get into school? In NY, school starts in September, but my first Football game this year was the last week in August. if you give both a 10 game season with one bye, they would have finished 3 weeks ago.

19. Golfkid

Golfkid Active Member

I know that Minnesota starts before school and ends usually, around mid-October.

They then have sections into early November and the state started last week.

We also have 5A-1A plus nine-man.

How did your team do Cohen anyways? :confused:

#999 Golfkid, Nov 20, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2010
  20. bigddan11

bigddan11 Justice must be served!

Texas has discussed creating a 6A, but instead of creating 6A they decided to increase the number of teams that make the state playoffs from 3 to 4 out of each district so that traditional rivalries could be kept intact. If they had created a 6A, while both Odessa High and Permian are guaranteed to move up, they would have ended up splitting Midland Lee and Midland High apart (High would have moved up to 6A while Lee stayed in 5A), and they would have seen travel expenses increase (the two Odessa schools and Midland High would have been put in a district with 4 other El Paso schools, meaning each of them would have a minimum of two trips to El Paso each year, and unlike in some other states UiL pays travel funds for district games).

In the state of Texas we have what are called "zero week" games the last week of August and then have 10 weeks of games, meaning the regular season ends the first week in November. However they also have a stupid rule in the state of Texas. Games played on Friday cannot be shown live on TV in the state of Texas. That's why every ESPN and Fox broadcast in the state of Texas has been on Thursday or Saturday. After the regular season, six weeks of playoff games are held, placing the state championships the weekend before Christmas.

Now what does this have to do with 4Kids or ratings you might ask. Well, in most places either ESPN or FOX has the state semifinals and finals broadcast rights. However some states don't have a specific syndication group that provides playoff games, thereby allowing regional broadcasts. The state of Texas is one of these. With the exception of the TXA21 Game of the Week (which can be from any of the classifications but usually has to have a Metroplex team in it since TXA21 is in the Metroplex), then any of the stations can pick up and broadcast regular season and playoff games. My local CW affiliate does so if Odessa High or Permian is playing in the games, but they tape delay it until Sunday night. Other states choose to broadcast the games live. Since most of the major networks won't broadcast the high school games due to other contracts (ABC, CBS, NBC, and FOX all have their national sports they'd have to preempt, and try to tell me you wouldn't get more complaints by preempting the SEC on CBS for a high school game and see how much I laugh), then CW or MyNetwork end up being the home for those games in a lot of states. I know in Utah KJZZ is the host of the games, and in Texas it is Fox Sports Southwest Plus, though local affiliates can pick up and broadcast any game live or tape delayed as long as it isn't on Friday night before the state finals. If it's on Friday night, they must air it tape delayed.That's the main reason you will have preemption's for High School playoffs in some states.

The thing CW did have was foresight though, and they do have a contract stating that an affiliate has to air CW4Kids, though it doesn't say at what time. That's why you end up with 5D's having crappy ratings a lot of times. Sometimes it doesn't air until 2 or 3 Am the next day, though technically every CW affiliate is supposed to be required to air it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.