4Kids is dead. Long live its international counterparts.

• We have upgraded to Xenforo 2. We've decided to open the forums back up while we configure the theme and plugins. Thanks for your patience.

Latest News

Mr HooPoe

Oct 9, 2017
Ratings
Some months ago I made a thread posing the question as to whether Arabic network Spacetoon is the Arabic counterpart of 4Kids, if not worse. I got an affirmative response.

Now I want to see the entire global situation. 4Kids was notorious for its ways of butchering anime, but other dubbing companies around the world still make similar dubs, including the aforementioned Spacetoon (which, if this thread becomes popular enough, I will address).

So let us discuss any companies and channels from the entire world that act in a similar vein to 4Kids--because while 4Kids still has some history to uncover, it is for the most part obsolete at this point.

Feb 22, 2018
Ratings
182 4
Can't speak for any other non-US companies, but I've seen some edits from Spacetoon here:

-In Digimon Adventure, Digimon "call for their older brothers" instead of digivolving. The edit done to make it appear as such is replacing the middle of the digivolution sequence with the waterfall scene from episode 1. Similarily, they edit Calumon's symbol in Tamers and Zoe in Frontier.

-Covering up clothes with really bad paint jobs. Seen with the aforementioned Zoe, Delie's shirt in Pluster World, and Sara's stockings (and her swimsuit in episode 22) in Jewelpet Twinkle.

(there were field days to have with Digimon Savers, Xros Wars, Jewelpet Sunshine, and Lady Jewelpet...that is if they even bothered dubbing those lol)

PicardMan

Nov 9, 2016
Ratings
190 5
For a while, Saban was the last bastion of 4kiding anime. Glitter Force was quite the throwback, with the "this is totally America" edits (the evil textbook episode that asked American questions was the ur-example of that). Dulling the screen during the battles to avoid seizures also made the show almost unwatchable. After their demise, that practice is probably dead. The future of Glitter Force is still up in the air.

Feb 22, 2018
Ratings
182 4
For a while, Saban was the last bastion of 4kiding anime. Glitter Force was quite the throwback, with the "this is totally America" edits (the evil textbook episode that asked American questions was the ur-example of that). Dulling the screen during the battles to avoid seizures also made the show almost unwatchable. After their demise, that practice is probably dead. The future of Glitter Force is still up in the air.
Uh, this is for the international censorers like Spacetoon/Venus, not the American kids companies we've came to know.

SpaceCowboy

Mar 2, 2002
Ratings
87 2
USA
Visit site
I thought Spacetoon edited their anime to comply with stricter broadcast standards in predominately Muslim countries. Like it was more compulsory, unlike the Americanization 4Kids did which was for marketing reasons.

Last edited:

Mr HooPoe

Oct 9, 2017
Ratings
I thought Spacetoon edited their anime to comply with stricter broadcast standards in predominately Muslim countries. Like it was more compulsory, unlike the Americanization 4Kids did which was for marketing reasons.
You are right about that, but notice that the dubs were not so strict until the Venus dubbing company created its own set of dubs adhering to ultra-conservative guidelines and broadcast on Spacetoon. Anime first became popular in the Arabic world in the 1970's (though fond memories as shared on the Internet start with the 1980's dubs) and was received relatively well with its own set of cult classics. They were still conservative, but they were quite looser with restrictions due to it being more family-centric--which became more evident by the late 1980's and throughout the 1990's when new dubs came about and included some edgier (more risqué and violent) content than before.

I think the major shift in content control came from the ideology that animation was for kids, which seemed to result in the creation of Spacetoon. Before that, the dubs were broadcast on the mainstream and variety channel MBC (the original, before it created sub-channels; then it was MBC3 for all animated series, usually Western ones).

I have a few problems with this. The least of them is that they thought animation was for kids and started controlling what they thought was best for them culturally and ethnically. There could have been better ways of handling the approach to having animation provided for children, but that is another story. The culture does have its say in the situation regarding morality, and children had to be considered in that regard, so it is not worth really addressing that.

What was a problem was that this affected dubs that were currently airing, with the most prominent example being Detective Conan. It was in the early 2000's when the shift in the show's focus happened starting at about the 126th episode. It went from an edgy-for-the-region dub that stayed faithful to the source material to a religiously preachy and ultra-conservative and moral based and sanitised show overnight. The problem was not that the show was forced from its source material into that state but that it happened after 125 episodes. I get that Detective Conan was popular and that kids enjoyed it, but...not like this. Even if the new format was taken in a separate context, it still feels jarring to suddenly switch formats for the same show with the same characters so quickly--and to look relatively the same, too.

Perhaps the biggest problem, though, is that such an ultra-conservative country chooses to tackle shows that should not be dubbed for children by such standards. Forget One Piece and Hunter x Hunter, though--I have a special outrageous example for anime (and a special case for Western animation).

A show about a boy who can transform into a girl undergoes some...interesting narrative changes to be both culturally and ethnically suitable for children. Um...so, that happened. (I would also share the Arabic dub of Futurama because yes, but I found no footage at the moment because I have no idea who thinks this helps. I mean, Futurama is halfway plausible for being suitable for a children's dub...the way Rick & Morty is.)

Why would an ultra-conservative region so set and bent on ensuring the censorship of the youth go out and find some particularly inappropriate programs and change them so that the children will grow up believing...wait. Of course.

I have no idea what else to add now. I might add more later, but to finish...

Are we talking like the Toonami Africa dub of Super:
Sorry, no. This is all in Arabic. Look up Spacetoon to get the gist of the situation.