20th Pokemon Film Confirmed: New Adaption of First Season?

Discussion in 'The Anime Forum' started by Gold Guy, Dec 14, 2016.

1. Cartoon_Kid

Cartoon_Kid Customized

I haven't been excited for a Pokemon movie in years, I'm glad they are doing this! This is an awesome idea! Props!

2. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

The dub trailer is out!

3. CyberCubed

CyberCubed Active Member

I find it oddly ironic now they went out of their way to remove Misty/Brock for this movie when they had them appear in the anime only a few months later. In fact it's only 2 months alter.

LOL, I don't even care much but even I find it to be bizarre.

4. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm not sure if they went out of their way to remove Misty and Brock exactly. They most likely already had plans to include them in the SM series proper for quite some time. At the very least, it would have been in development by the time the trailer revealing Ash's traveling companions for this movie would have been revealed. I still think it might be good in a way that they aren't in the movie anyway. From what I've seen of the trailers and understood from vague details about the movie, it mainly centers on Ash and Pikachu's meeting and their journey. That would make it harder for Misty and Brock to shine in the movie. At least appearing in SM where the focus should be on their return should hopefully make it easier for them to get some spotlight.

It's not like they don't care about Misty and Brock at all by not including them in the movie. If that was the case, they wouldn't have brought them back or make a big deal about their return with their promotions. They probably just figured that the movie should be primarily about Ash and Pikachu, while Misty and Brock could get some attention in the TV series instead.

The dub trailer was nice. The logo at the end did seem pretty generic though. I'm still hoping that one of my local theaters will play the movie at some point.

5. Megumi

Megumi ★ No One's Dream Anymore ☆

Two recognizable characters would've been great.

6. CyberCubed

CyberCubed Active Member

They should have just animated Leaf then from the FR/LG games since she's from Kanto and has never been in the anime before.

Overall though I can see why Misty/Brock aren't in this now, if they were in both this movie and the 2-part SM episode, it would feel like Misty/Brock overload or pandering to original trio fans. Can't have that now, can we? I also think Misty fans would prefer her character to appear in the series in the main continuity, rather than a reboot.

7. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I don't know how many people would have recognized Leaf though. There would have been a lot of people happy about seeing her finally getting an animated appearance, but she isn't even one of the more popular/noteworthy playable female trainers in the games. She'd be recognizable to some of the fans of the video games, but not for those who only watch the anime or never got to play FR/FG.

I really doubt that it would be a Misty/Brock overload, especially when the main focus would still be on Ash and Pikachu during the movie. It might have felt like pandering to the original trio fans, but it also would have been fitting in a way given that this is the 20th anniversary of the anime. Most Misty fans I've seen would have preferred seeing her and Brock in both the movie and the show. That's why there was a lot of negative backlash over Misty and Brock not appearing in the movie since fans wanted to see some of their favorite characters in new adventures. If they had to choose one or the other, I'm not sure how many of them would choose their appearances in SM over being in a new movie. Most fans would probably want them to appear in both.

Still, I do think it was better for them to be in the SM series. As cool as it would have been to see Ash, Misty and Brock in a new movie, it was still primarily about Ash and Pikachu's relationship as they begin their journey. Misty and Brock would have most likely been set in the background during the movie. That would have been fitting given that they were in the backgrounds during some episodes of the original series, but that might have made fans more upset. At least with these SM episodes, they potentially can get more focus on their characters, we can see what they've been up to since their last appearances and we can get some character interactions. It's still a shorter amount of time than a movie, but they can potentially get more benefits from being in the SM series.

8. Checkerboard

Checkerboard THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS

Question is what are they doing in the SM series in the first place - still haven't seen it. If it's just a random nostalgic encounter with no updates or something with more impact.

9. Megumi

FR/LG female protag would've been awesome.

It would've been cool for Brock and Misty to keepp their new clothes, though. I remember when I first saw the shots of them on a YouTube video, I thought it was click bait. They look so bad, especially Brock.

10. CyberCubed

CyberCubed Active Member

They look much better in motion. The SM anime looks really odd when you just look at screecaps, but when you actually watch it the animation flows really well. Misty and Brock's designs look fine when you watch it, Misty also looks a lot cuter and more lively.

SM is probably the only arc of the anime you can't judge by looking at screenshots. The way the animation is handled you're basically looking at single frames of movement, it's not what it looks like when you watch the episode.

11. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

From what I understand, it's a class field trip to Kanto to learn more about Alola forms, they run into Misty and Brock and the next episode involves two battles against them. I don't know if it has more impact beyond 20th anniversary nostalgia, but I don't think that would necessarily be a bad thing. It would be great and ideal if Misty and Brock had some impact on some of the other characters, but if it's good nostalgia fun, then that could work too. I imagine that most fans would be happy just to get an idea on what Misty and Brock have been up to since they last showed up.

They most likely are wearing their original outfits for more 20th anniversary nostalgia, so I was fine with that. I think that their designs look fine. People complained a lot about the designs in SM, but I think it looks fine in the show. They're expressive and move pretty nicely based on what I have seen of the episode.

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. Megumi

Yeah, that's true about the designs and motion, @CyberCubed and @Light Lucario

I haven't decided whether to watch it dubbed or subbed yet. I'll see

13. CyberCubed

CyberCubed Active Member

Well you could just watch sub now and watch the dub later when it airs 2-3 months from now or whatever. Why does it have to be one or the other? The dub ruins a lot of the music and dialogue for years, XY is much better in Japanese as well.

I'd tell people to watch most of DP subbed too for that matter but most of it isn't subbed.

14. Megumi

I gain nothing from watching it one way or the other, so I will stick to just one way. It's a nostalgia episode so watching the dub would be best for me.

15. CyberCubed

CyberCubed Active Member

Well fair enough, but the sub is more enjoyable.

16. Megumi

I watched some subbed XY, and it was good. But I'm not a watcher anymore. I'm not going to be picky about how I choose to watch. If I were still a consistent watcher, I'd probably ve watching the subs too lol

17. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

A second (and better) dubbed trailer has been released.

Only a month left now.

18. Checkerboard

Checkerboard THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS

Man, this film is just super odd. Like, I still have no clue what it's aiming to be.

19. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It's basically retelling Ash and Pikachu's first adventures, by shilling the new Pokémon. This is fine in Japan, where access to old episodes is difficult (due to lack of reruns), and expensive (due to video prices), so it gives younger fans there a chance to see how the two meet for the first time.
    Meanwhile in the States, since anyone with Disney XD or Netflix can watch the original first season of the show, are basically getting a reboot for the purpose of again, shilling the new Pokémon.
    Has it been confirmed that Ho-oh gets a Mega evolution? Wouldn't be surprised, since that's what they try to do when showing old Pokémon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm pretty sure that at least the original series is available on Netflix in Japan too. They may not air a lot of reruns on TV, but I believe that there are legal sites in Japan where people can watch older series.

As for Ho-Oh, it doesn't have a Mega Evolution. If it did, we would have known well before now since it would have been featured in promotional material or at the very least would have been revealed once the movie came out in Japan. They haven't any any new Mega Evolutions for this generation, although I do hope we'll get some new ones in the future. The reason why Ho-Oh is featured here is simply due to original series nostalgia. They wanted to make a movie where Ash's journey differs due to getting the Rainbow Wing. Showcasing older Pokemon doesn't necessarily mean that they are marketing relevant exactly. It normally does, but then we have cases like Clemont getting a Luxray back in XY despite how it didn't get a Mega Evolution. The movie still has new Pokemon to promote like Marshadow and the new rival's starter is an Incineroar, but Ho-Oh's role is seemingly just there for nostalgia purposes.

As for the trailer, it was really good. Sarah's voice for Ash sounded great and the last couple of lines of the trailer were quite nice. The music was much better than the previous dubbed trailer too. I'll still have to see if any movie theater close to me is airing the movie.